Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel the Vampire - Part 3

I don’t know Nicholas man but Angel was a pretty dope show.
Still love this theme.

I mean can you even imagine a Xander spin-off? It would be like a slacker comedy with supernatural elements lol. Pass

Speaking of themes, I always preferred Angel's to Buffy's. :hehe: Also Season 3 onward have the better theme for Buffy compared to the first two seasons.

Have Glory and Dawn's origin be a multi-season mystery story arc?

I suppose, though I feel like "multiple season mystery box" sounds like its own really bad idea. Especially when the audience already knows at least loosely how it "should" play out.

I finally watched The Body today. It’s been over a year since I stopped watching the show. I had just lost my Mother right before I got this far in the show and I couldn’t handle it.

I can’t lie. This episode brought tears to my eyes. Especially watching Dawn get told at school. It was so quiet and visual. Well done. Painfully well done.
Watching Buffy try to perform CPR hurt a lot personally. A couple years ago I had actually saved my mothers life performing CPR one day. I’d come home from work and she was hyperpoxic. That was very hard for me to watch.

anyas breakdown :(

I finally watched The Body today. It’s been over a year since I stopped watching the show. I had just lost my Mother right before I got this far in the show and I couldn’t handle it.

I can’t lie. This episode brought tears to my eyes. Especially watching Dawn get told at school. It was so quiet and visual. Well done. Painfully well done.
Watching Buffy try to perform CPR hurt a lot personally. A couple years ago I had actually saved my mothers life performing CPR one day. I’d come home from work and she was hyperpoxic. That was very hard for me to watch.

anyas breakdown :(

I rewatched it last year when my Mom passed so I could process what was going on. So I know what you mean. Anya breakdown always gets too me.

“The Body” is very impressive and probably stands out as one of the best Buffy episodes. But after several rewatches, I do have a couple of (minor) complaints. :ninja:

The Anya scene: Initially, I found this to be quite moving. Subsequently, however, it struck me as a tad too frenetic and over-the-top. Could it have had the same effect with a slightly dialed back performance by Caulfield?

Another: to me, it always seemed odd and awkward that the EMS guys would just leave and give Buffy paperwork for her mother’s corpse (to be picked up by someone else). Now, this is the sort of thing that the writers (on DVD commentary) aways defended. I.e., the drama (in this case, Giles finding Buffy alone with Joyce — and not with a crowd of cops or coroner staff) was always more important than strict realism. (Along the same lines, the Sunnydale police didn’t investigate the crime scene after Buffy was shot by Warren — and didn’t notice there was a second victim upstairs. :ebr:) Still, I think skilled writers should be able to balance good drama and narrative “logic.” It’s kinda what writers do.

Finally: I thought it a tad weird that the episode ended with a typical vampire encounter (next to Joyce’s body, no less). Again, in DVD commentary, Whedon defended this choice. But inasmuch as the series is known for its creative “experimentation” (like the largely silent “Hush” or the musical “Once More With Feeling”), an entire episode where the vampire slayer didn’t actually slay anything would have been an interesting and bold move.

I liked Anya's response to Joyce dying as it's her first experience in centuries of dealing with the terror of mortality. Caulfield did great showing the sheer confusion and distress of someone trying to find her humanity again, and who hadn't really been challenged in dealing with it until that moment.

Rewatching the last half of S7 and I really do love the story they are telling but this season is always the worst with the pacing and trying to cram everything in together.

so ive got 2 episodes left in season 5 and Glory is such a fun villain. she's very charismatic. i've only ever seen the actress in Bring It On, but i'm kinda surprised i've not seen her in more stuff. i plan on finishing the season by the end of the week but i just wanna go on the record saying the buffybot was kinda weird.

also, since i'm side-watching Angel as well, I'm finally back in Pylea which is fun. but there was a scene where Cordy was in a commercial and it was so cringy how degraded and humiliating the scene was. i felt bad for her. and then of course how the Pyleans call humans cows and whatnot. knowing what i know now, thanks to yall, about Whedon and Carpenter, i wonder if this was done intentionally because of it, or if he was just Jossing...

Was rewatching Buffy Season 2 and 3 this weekend. I forgot how damn good this show was, but my God, Xander was incorrigible. When Season 3 rolled around he was even more obnoxious than ever. The way he was so judgmental toward Bangel and other assorted characters got on my nerves. Then I noticed Buffy didn't really give Faith a chance either lol.

And Mayor Wilkins is still a delightful Big Bad.

i started season 6 last night. the first 2 episodes.

man, that mustve been a traumatic way to wake up :eek:

anya still grates my nerves sometimes, but she's not all that bad

I liked Anya's response to Joyce dying as it's her first experience in centuries of dealing with the terror of mortality. Caulfield did great showing the sheer confusion and distress of someone trying to find her humanity again, and who hadn't really been challenged in dealing with it until that moment.

One of my favorite moments on the whole show
And one of the few scenes in all of TV and film that makes me cry like a baby every damn time

You have to respect Fillion for being loyal if nothing else.

I was watching that clip from Inside of You and he was having none of it.

Is anyone really surprised? He isn't known for being that great himself. Though considering plenty of A list have next to no issues working with Woody Allen, Joss is small apples in comparison.

Yeah I never expected this to happen. Even upon announcement it looked like Fox trying to beef up their IP slate in time to sell. Can't say I'm bothered.

Give me a game. That'd be fun. Get SMG to voice again.

I'm fine with it, bar the PR disaster that was Batgirl I'm honestly good with the recent trend of canning certain ideas in development. No shame in pulling back when it's still early enough in development and where there's not complete confidence.

Buffy is a special IP and can be again if they invest the right amount time and care into it.

i'm still slowly trekking through Season 6. Willow and Tara broke up. last episode i watched was when the "Evil Trio" turned Buffy invisible.

i'm not digging the Spike/Buffy thing. I miss Giles

This news has been circulating over the last couple of days:

That Buffy The Vampire Slayer reboot is now officially "on pause" (avclub.com)

Actually... Given the long period of radio silence, I already assumed this project was dead.

Yeah it wasnt a shocker that the project was "on pause" aka in development hell.

Idk why they make it hard on themselves, don't focus on creating a black Buffy. Just give us a Slayer show (preferably Tales of the Slayer) with a black slayer. Or any Slayer for that matter, focus on the story first and worry about the cast later. If it isnt in continuity with the series then I could care even less about it but...yeah..give us Tales of the Slayer. On FX. it writes itself.

i'm still slowly trekking through Season 6. Willow and Tara broke up. last episode i watched was when the "Evil Trio" turned Buffy invisible.

Oh God the depressing season 6 and when Daphne replaces Buffy and has an affair with Spike.

Outside of “Once More With Feeling” and “Tabula Rasa,” S6 is a real slog, imo.

Season Six is weird for me. As an adult, I've grown to like/understand it more, but it is a glorified mixed bag.

Outside of “Once More With Feeling” and “Tabula Rasa,” S6 is a real slog, imo.

No love for "Normal Again"?

Season Six is weird for me. As an adult, I've grown to like/understand it more, but it is a glorified mixed bag.

No love for "Normal Again"?
Hell no. Hated that episode with the passion of a thousand fiery suns. The very premise offends me. Never speak of it again. :cmad:

As I've gotten older, I've just found S6's handling of the metaphors far more clunky and heavy-handed than the other seasons. It feels like an imitation of what made Buffy work, imo. Kinda like Charmed. :oldrazz:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"