• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Dark Knight Rises Can it be topped?

He-Man

Sidekick
Reaction score
This movie is epic on all levels. Is it possible for the next film to meet or top this one? No Joker/Maybe a new actor playing the joker. Can any other villain carry a movie the way the Joker did this one?

I think the phantasm can do it! awesome story great n grimy like character what do you guys think?

Well, it depends, on three things:

1-Nolan will direct it
2-He will put the same or more effort he put to TDK and/or BB
3-He will use good, deep, and at the same time realistic new villains

I'm afraid with the unanimous praise the movie is getting from everyone,no mather how good the third part is it will be a disappointment to some degree.

As rare is that part 2 totally outclasses part 1,part 3 outclassing part 2 is almost unheard of especially considering how great TDK is.

But on the other hand did anyone honestly thought when they left the theaters in 2005 that we will get this kind of a masterpiece?

With the right storyline and villain/s part 3 may not be better but i believe it can be just as great,just on another level,in a different way.

We never doubted Nolan after Begins....why start now?

No, but as long as its as good as BB then I'll be happpy.

I can't believe i'm saying this and i'm anxious to see other hypsters responces but i'm totally fine if we dont get a third movie.

Will i scream and jump for 2 days straight if they announce Nolan & crew are back?Most definitelly.

But really,this movie has satisfied my Batman thirst in a way no movie ever has.
What i'm trying to say is when Spider-Man 2 ended i wanted a sequel,same with X2, and the Bourne trilogy and so on...but when TDK ended i felt such a fullfilment,i felt that the story was so rich and full and the ending so perfect that it can be followed with a third part but it didnt featured a cliffhanger just to milk out money from the audiences with part 3.

This needs several things to be topped. It needs Nolan and pretty much every crew member involved with The Dark Knight. It needs Nolan to be 100% totally committed to it, if he comes back for just cash (which I'm doubtful he would) then I won't be as enthused. He needs to add top notch casting in addition to Bale and Co. He needs to ignore fans and studio execs requests to 'do this' or 'add this villain'. Most importantly, and this may sound strange, but I think he has to look at The Dark Knight as an average movie. Pretty much, Nolan has to believe he can deliver something even better than The Dark Knight. Can it be done? Not sure, it's a tough ask for anyone, striking gold once is hard, twice is rare, three times is almost unheard of.

It possibly couldn't be topped performance wise but it surely can be topped story wise, but in saying that we will all just have to wait and see what the future holds for Nolan's vision of Batman in film.

I doubt that it can be topped (because everything was almost perfect on TDK) but that doesn't mean that the 3rd one can't be really, really good either.

For everything that comes along, no matter what or who it is, there will always be someone or something better.

Yes, it can be topped.

Except in one way, and that's the villain. Mostly because The Joker is my favorite and Heath was so terrific. Whatever villain they use in the third film, he/she won't be as awesome to me as the Joker so I'd say that's the only aspect that truly can't be topped.

Agreed with Socko. They COULD follow a similar approach to BB, though, and make it more about Bruce/Bats again.

Yep, 3rd movie should be more Bruce/Batman. Maybe a few second tier villains with Neeson returning or something, I don't know.

What I do want though, is for Murphy to be back in a bigger role if Nolan can make it work, I really liked him in TDK for the brief scene he was in.

I think the only way it could be topped is if they do a Dark Knight Returns type story and wait a few years. They could recast the joker and it wouldnt be a problem then.

Yes, it can be topped.

Except in one way, and that's the villain. Mostly because The Joker is my favorite and Heath was so terrific. Whatever villain they use in the third film, he/she won't be as awesome to me as the Joker so I'd say that's the only aspect that truly can't be topped.

My thoughts exactly.

Of course it can be topped, the only thing that can't be topped is a perfect movie...and no such thing exists to be honest.
Even though I may give a film a 10/10 im not really, more of a 9.889/10 :hehe:...if you know what I mean.
There is always room for improvement and I trust Nolan to give us an even better Batman film the third time around!

I think the average movie-goes (and definitely fans) would be excited about Catwoman.
But she'd have to be damn good.

Socko's right. It will be hard to top the Joker but we are dealing with Nolan here. He seems to have a chip on his shoulder about quality.

When you see every character that Nolan's handled in two movies, you see these rich/ layered characters and thats something that I think he'll continue. To be honest I would love to see him handle a character that really doesn't fit his world and maybe have a different take on a character.

The Penguin could be a likeable character in Gothem instead of some freak. He could be a threat to Batman and Bruce Wayne. The thing that I've always liked about the Penguin is that he's not a character that would be put into Arkham. He could be more like Marvel's Kingpin.

The Riddler would be perfect for Nolan's world. Pretty much a narcissist match in a battle of wits with Batman. Speed and Seven come to mind as being a type of Riddler movie.

Even Mr. Freeze can be brought in as a mad bomber type using liquid nitrogen bombs. His suit would be more about protection than controling body temp. If Nolan wants a tech on tech war... Freeze could be more like Iron Man.

I don't think so. I think a third film could be excellent and a perfect conclusion to the series, but I think it would be almost impossible to top TDK without the Joker. If Heath were still alive I would definitely vote yes.

With the right people, I believe it's possible.

With the right cast and the right villian....yes.
They are going to have to pick a villian in the DC universe that is as diabolic as the Joker.Which will be hard to fill.......can't recall any villian that has gotten under Batman's 'cape' more than the Joker......:brucebat:

As others have said, a movie is only as good as it's villain. I'm not saying that whoever the next villain is won't be good, but I'll argue that people came to see the Joker (and not just b/c of Heath's passing) as they did to see Batman. Batman/Joker is the greatest rivalry in comics, more than Superman/Luthor.

I don't think TDK can be topped. The Joker is the ultimate Batman villain, and new villain(s) won't be as good. Not saying the movie can't be good. A third can be quite good. I just don't think it can be this good.

TDK can't be topped. But knowing Nolan and Co they will deliver the goods for a 3rd and last time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"