Justice League Can Justice League be just as huge as The Avengers?

Avengers has a 4 movie buildup, JL-1 will also have a four movie buildup (MoS, BvS, SS, WW) so it can make Avengers money.

Avengers has a 4 movie buildup, JL-1 will also have a four movie buildup (MoS, BvS, SS, WW) so it can make Avengers money.
I think Avengers had 5 movie buildup unless your discounting TIH

Big gaping flaws in your logic though.
3/4 of those pre-Avengers films were generally well liked by fans, critics, and audience members. I'd even argue that Iron Man 2 had a "not bad" reception. At the very least each of the heroes got a good reception. That built goodwill among the audience
So far 2/4 of the pre-JL movies have gotten mixed reception at best.

Having 3+ films of good reception leading up to a team up is a lot different than having 2 films of mixed reception (pending SS and WW)

Also, and Ive been avoiding spoilers and trailers so I dont know, is Suicide Squad gonna tie into JL in any significant way? I feel like Suicide Squad is kinda doing their own thing ala GOTG and wont tie into JL part 1 but maybe part 2

Of course Im basing this on having no idea what the reception of WW, SS, and JL will be

Last edited:
Build up don't mean jack though, brand and quality do.

If the Justice League movie was great like the Avengers, it would definetly make Avengers money, the BvS opening day of $81M on Friday proved that.

But we all know that the Justice League won't be great thanks to Snyder, so it won't do good financially.

It's about continuation of the story, not setting up "likeable" or "heroic" characters, which makes me feel that it can be successful.

Characters like Iron Man, Thor, Captain America needed solo movies for introduction, same thing is not really needed with Batman, one movie (MoS) and an ensemble movie (BvS) is enough for that, plus we are getting further world-building in SS and WW is getting her own solo movie, all this should be enough.

It's about continuation of the story, not setting up "likeable" or "heroic" characters, which makes me feel that it can be successful.

Characters like Iron Man, Thor, Captain America needed solo movies for introduction, same thing is not really needed with Batman, one movie (MoS) and an ensemble movie (BvS) is enough for that, plus we are getting further world-building in SS and WW is getting her own solo movie, all this should be enough.

Ok but if it's continuing a story that's not that well received then... :shrug:

That logic still doesn't work. We're not talking about whether Cap and them needed solo stories we're talking about whether JL can get Avengers numbers.
Your logic of: "Well they both have the same amount of set up movies (which is false) so JL could bring in the same results" doesn't ring true

Either way with Snyder at the helm there is no way Justice League will be successful

I think Avengers had 5 movie buildup unless your discounting TIH

No, not discounting TIH, I just forgot to include Iron Man 2, though it was released before Avengers.

So, a 5 movie build-up leading to Avengers, still DC's 4 movies seem enough, I mean what more is needed ?

Is a solo Batman movie a must before Justice League movie, people are familiar with Batman character plus they will see him again in SS movie after BvS.

In fact with Amanda Waller and other villains from SS (where we may see Lex Luthor again.) they are also setting up villains nicely.

If you think that my logic doesn't work or that Build up doesn't mean jack / brand means everything, you are entitled to your opinion.

Noooo.
I respectfully disagree.
I'm a defender of MOS and BvS. Both are films that are flawed but have enough goodness. Yet it seems the general public shrugged their shoulders to both films.
I think JL can do over a billion, as long as it is lighter and actually crowd pleasing. But 1.6 like 2012's The Avengers? No way in hell. Audiences don't seem as receptive to these characters as say Marvel's.

No, not discounting TIH, I just forgot to include Iron Man 2, though it was released before Avengers.

So, a 5 movie build-up leading to Avengers, still DC's 4 movies seem enough, I mean what more is needed ?

Is a solo Batman movie a must before Justice League movie, people are familiar with Batman character plus they will see him again in SS movie after BvS.

In fact with Amanda Waller and other villains from SS (where we may see Lex Luthor again.) they are also setting up villains nicely.

If you think that my logic doesn't work or that Build up doesn't mean jack / brand means everything, you are entitled to your opinion.
I never brought up whether they needed more movies to set up JL. I was just saying your logic doesn't make sense, which it doesn't.

But agree to disagree

Noooo.
I respectfully disagree.
I'm a defender of MOS and BvS. Both are films that are flawed but have enough goodness. Yet it seems the general public shrugged their shoulders to both films.
I think JL can do over a billion, as long as it is lighter and actually crowd pleasing. But 1.6 like 2012's The Avengers? No way in hell. Audiences don't seem as receptive to these characters as say Marvel's.

Which characters ? If WW and SS do well, that would mean WW and Batman are still popular as they feature in those two movies, so who is left behind ? Superman ?

Is audience not willing to see Superman again ? I doubt that.

Every thing depends on WW and SS movie now, if those movies are successful, I can see JL-1 making 1.6 bil.

It can be, but it probably won't be. I'm sure you can guess why.

Which characters ? If WW and SS do well, that would mean WW and Batman are still popular as they feature in those two movies, so who is left behind ? Superman ?

Every thing depends on WW and SS movie now, if those movies are successful, I can see JL-1 making 1.6 bil.

I really can't. Aside from Wonder Woman, Squad really has no direct influence to Justice League. Sure, it is connected. But nothing in that film will gauge people's excitement for JL.

BvS was supposed to build hype for a JL film. Sure, audiences seemed to like Wonder Woman. But I feel like audiences weren't so receptive to the actual film. Some I think are done with this universe.

First and foremost, they would have to make me care for the characters. They have not done that thus far and I don't even like the actors that have been cast so far.

Squad really has no direct influence to Justice League. Sure, it is connected. But nothing in that film will gauge people's excitement for JL.

We don't know what kind of influence Squad might have for JL. Its clear there are government conversations happening regarding metahumans which ties into JL and their characters. It'll be introducing magic to the universe. There is a ton we don't know about the movie still. Like who the actual villain is.

Its entirely possible that Lex might be involved in some aspect of this movie that adds more story to what'll happen in JL.

I'm a big DC fan, but I doubt JL can do Avengers 1 numbers, solely on the fact that the only reason Avengers made what it made was because of the novelty factor of the first ever team up of superheroes. I do believe JL1 can do over a billion though, especially if SS and WW are well received. To be quite honest, I personally don't need JL to do Avengers numbers. I just need it to be successful so we get more DCEU.

Overall if you count all the movies, MCU didn't really explode until the Avengers came on anyway. So far in DCEU we got 2 600m+ films (a tentative total of 1.5b so far on 2 rotten films at that). If SS and WW each bring in 600+ each as well and JL is able to do 1b, then DCEU up to that point and Marvel phase 1 made pretty much comparable amount overall. I doubt WB as a corporation looks at anyone film by itself, but more on the big picture. If as a whole the DCEU is making gangbusters, I think WB will be happy and we'll get more DCEU films.

Suicide Squad I believe has no barring on JL, WW is a movie that no only has to be good, it has to over perform. But $1.6B? The cards are stacked against it even pulling even numbers with BvS let alone crossing $1B.

IMO, JL1 needs to have the early review and positive reaction from fans and critics like CW. CW has such confidence and positive buzz now that it will likely be Marvels biggest BO opener and likely highest grossing film. JL1 needs to have its embargo lifted early and have the same positive buzz to get those who were turn away by BvS to jump back in. This is the way I see JL doing bigger numbers.

Boy this thread would've been different ten years ago when JLU was on air.

JL has to follow a movie that is a commercial underperformer and a critical failure.

Sadly the answer, as others have said, is a firm no until the man they currently have creatively overseeing the DCEU (and directing the likes of JL) is let go.

I think no for a few reasons.

1. Snyder
2. Other studios gave bvs a wide bearth with it having almost no competition for a few weeks. That won't happen this time. Disney at a minimum will put something huge the week after jl opens.
3. I think the part 1 thing will turn people off knowing by the name they are not getting a full story. You can do that with the last movie in a franchise since people are in invested but for the start of one I think will be a turn off.

Can Justice League be as huge? No. For a couple of reasons.

The initial Avengers movie was if anything an over achievement. So much so that even it's sequel, which was a success as well, couldn't even match the heights of the initial movie. As it's been pointed out, I'd be highly surprised if any of the remaining Avengers movies actually surpass their original in terms of money or popularity.

Well said, well said. They even Xeroxed the template of the first movie to ensure success (something we'd see done yet again with that Star Wars movie a few months back). Unless the writing in the MCU improves, I don't even see Infinity Wars beating the worn-off-novelty jinx, especially if Thanos turns out to be something of a clown like Ultron.

Another reason why Justice League I don't feel will be as successful is simple, DC & WB have tried to create in 2 movies, what Marvel created over I believe it was 5 movies: A universe. That's one of the reasons why the initial Avengers was so much of an overachiever. It brought together people that liked Iron Man 1 & 2 , Hulk, Thor, Captain America. I'm sure comic fans would have seen it regardless but there are general audience members that would have seen maybe one of those movies, liked it & thought I'll go see Avengers since xyz is in it. The Marvel universe is also I'd say more children friendly, Man of Steel & BvS carry more of an adult tone I feel, both films take themselves more seriously than I feel they probably should.

DC went about it all wrong, Man of Steel I feel gave the universe a credible opening, they should have then went with a sole Batman movie establishing the Batman of this universe with the ending of that movie being what was the start of Batman vs Superman ie Bruce being in Metropolis during the Superman/Zod confrontation. Then add in a Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Flash solo movies with perhaps cameos from Batman, Superman or even just acknowledging in some capacity that they exist in the same universe THEN Justice League should have come.

IMO, BvS does provide a credible reintroduction for the DCEU's Batman. I believe JL1 will place a heavy emphasis on Aquaman and keep Flash (if he shows up) in an action role, the way Hawkeye was in the first Avengers.

Batman vs Superman really could have launched the universe in 1 movie & completely caught up to Marvel which is no doubt what they wanted to do cutting all the corners in the process, the angle had so much promise but they really did just try to do too much, too soon focusing more on trying to cram all sorts of information in 1 movie to establish things rather than focusing on just trying to make it good.

The DCU is still salvageable I feel as despite all BvS's flaws & disappointing ending, the ending itself despite how it was executed has left me with anticipation on what will happen next.. but I'd honestly be surprised if Justice League will be able to be as 'huge' as the Avengers. It's actually not something that concerns me, as long as I find the movies enjoyable I couldn't care less if the critics dislike them or they don't make as much money as the Marvel counterpart.

We'll see if it makes "Avengers money," but storywise the DCEU won't half-ass things as far as stakes go (the end of BvS proved that). Disney's shadow looms large over the MCU in that capacity.

It's a real shame that DC is struggling story and character wise, this boring as hell Superman, yet again another 'wacky' Lex Luthor (they don't even need to read a comic, just watch 'superman the animated series' to get Lex right), taking a dump on Jimmy Olsen like that, this depressing universe is too dark for its own good, I appreciate they want to bring a sense of realism to this universe, but these are films about an alien from space and a guy who is clearly a little psychotic dressing like a bat and fighting crime, inject some fun into this already. As a self confessed marvel fan boy for my 30 years on this planet, I genuinely do want these DC films to do well, I grew up with batman and superman too, even though so far I am underwhelmed, I shall still continue to watch these movies and I am still looking forward to justice league, I think this is going to be the thought process of most and it will be pretty big, anticipation wise, I think Marvel did a far superior job building the hype for avengers with the movies leading up to it, in my personal opinion it feels like WB/DC is in a rush for the big payoff (JL)

The answer to the question is a hard ****ing no because Zack Snyder is the director and WB has made the bizarre decision to make not more serious films but mournful, joyless and gritty films that don't focus enough on building up characters and making them likable. Movie goers find Snyder's films underwhelming at best and they bail after huge opening weekends. He is not a crowdpleasing director, whether you think he is good or not, it is a fact that he is not a crowdpleasing filmmaker. He doesn't even know the meaning of the word crowdpleasing. Justice League will be lucky to hit 750 million worldwide with Snyder as the director, let alone 1.5 billion. I think a good Justice League movie would make more than The Avengers but unfortunately WB keeps betting on Snyder to become a crowdpleasing director. When they will get it through their thick skulls that such a cynical over-indulgent shakily skilled director will never bring them their billion dollar baby I don't know. I'm guessing maybe Justice League's under performance will be the last straw but who knows they might reward him with another 200-300 million dollar franchise.

I'm not prognosticating on this film's quality till I have at least heard a synopsis or seen footage. Despite the problems with BvS, I don't see how anyone can take as a certainty that JL will suck. Say it might, say it probably will, that's okay-- there's certainly a chance it will be as bad/worse than BvS, and using precedence the odds are not good. But to say you know it will flop and Snyder will ruin it is just nonsense. Nobody knows. Please stop acting like an uncertain thing is certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"