The Winter Soldier Captain America is getting a sequel.......Already

Hmm, still not convinced about those scriptwriters but there's plenty of time to prove me wrong when I see the movie :yay:

I agree that Feige somewhat thinks he can run a movie business like it's a business, but let's be honest, most audiences are not caring about cross-over of characters. They were not aware of it in Iron Man 2 and I think it's a little to early to say that after one film of alleged "Avengers commercial (a sentiment I not only do not share but feels like it undermines the movie)" that there will be much cross over business in these films. Shield has a presence but I doubt it will interfere with the story. People forget that Shield was worked in nicely in the film. I think the writing was the bigger problem with Iron Man 2 than anything else.

Yeah, I also think Kevin Feige is going a little overboard with the whole "4 movies a year" thing myself. The superhero genre is already a croweded area in films, I don't think it's a good idea to force so many new superheroes onto the general audience that quickly.

I re-watched Iron Man 1 & 2 last night and I didn't get the whole "Avengers commercial" vibe from Iron Man 2. I just think the writing wasn't a good as Iron Man 1, because IM2 it definately kept the story centered around Tony Stark.

The biggest problem I think a lot of people had with Iron Man 2 is that it lacked the soul of the first movie. Comparitavely, it was not nearly as dark. Considering that the plot was largely about Tony Stark dying from poisoning, it just plain didn't have the drama to make it feel real. The redemptive message of the first film was never really matched in the second movie. I would have loved to see a movie where Tony Stark has turned to the bottle to cope with his anxiety about possibly dying, and by that I don't mean getting drunk at a party and making himself look silly. I mean he's hitting the hard liquor just to get through his day, and not realizing how much he's hurting the people around him.

Someone made a great suggestion over at the IM board that instead of Rhodey showing up and roughhousing with Tony on his birthday, Whiplash should have crashed Tony's party and kicked his ass, and almost get some of Tony's guests killed in the process. The message would not have come across as "Tony was having fun and being a little clumsy, but then Rhodey showed up and was a party pooper." It would have come across as what was probably intended, which was "Tony is using his possible as an excuse for a self destructive lifestyle, and wasting his life away on booze is going to get people hurt or possibly killed, including himself."

Tony was supposed to get knocked down a couple pegs in Iron Man 2, but he never got anywhere near as low as he was in the first movie when he was at his lowest, and as a result, we never really got the sense that he'd been "redeemed" at any point in the movie, nor did we really get the sense that he needed to be redeemed. Iron Man took us on an emotional rollercoaster ride of highs and lows, but Iron Man 2 just kind of happened. That doesn't mean it was bad, but it was kind of your run-of-the-mill "competent, but forgettable sequel." I hope that Marvel doesn't make the same mistakes with the sequels they make to their movies in the future.

The biggest problem I think a lot of people had with Iron Man 2 is that it lacked the soul of the first movie. Comparitavely, it was not nearly as dark. Considering that the plot was largely about Tony Stark dying from poisoning, it just plain didn't have the drama to make it feel real. The redemptive message of the first film was never really matched in the second movie. I would have loved to see a movie where Tony Stark has turned to the bottle to cope with his anxiety about possibly dying, and by that I don't mean getting drunk at a party and making himself look silly. I mean he's hitting the hard liquor just to get through his day, and not realizing how much he's hurting the people around him.

Someone made a great suggestion over at the IM board that instead of Rhodey showing up and roughhousing with Tony on his birthday, Whiplash should have crashed Tony's party and kicked his ass, and almost get some of Tony's guests killed in the process. The message would not have come across as "Tony was having fun and being a little clumsy, but then Rhodey showed up and was a party pooper." It would have come across as what was probably intended, which was "Tony is using his possible as an excuse for a self destructive lifestyle, and wasting his life away on booze is going to get people hurt or possibly killed, including himself."

Tony was supposed to get knocked down a couple pegs in Iron Man 2, but he never got anywhere near as low as he was in the first movie when he was at his lowest, and as a result, we never really got the sense that he'd been "redeemed" at any point in the movie, nor did we really get the sense that he needed to be redeemed. Iron Man took us on an emotional rollercoaster ride of highs and lows, but Iron Man 2 just kind of happened. That doesn't mean it was bad, but it was kind of your run-of-the-mill "competent, but forgettable sequel." I hope that Marvel doesn't make the same mistakes with the sequels they make to their movies in the future.

Yep very true, I think you've hit the nail right on the head :woot:. Iron Man 2 was a good film and it dug fairly deep just not as "deep" as the first one, because it could've been a Spider-Man 2 type sequel (as in blowing the first film away).

Last edited:
This shows a lot of confidence in their product they have, so I am very encouraged by this news :up:

There is plenty of time to get Cap 2 made, especially if it is being scripted now. I'd be happy with a 2013 of Captain America 2 and Iron Man 3 :cap: :im:

I'm not sure about that line about the sequel being set in modern times after the Avengers. It reads as though it's the conclusion of the person writing the article. Unless this film effectively shows us that what happens in the film is essentially all he did in WWII then there should still be potential for WWII era stories. Not that I'm saying they should feel forced to, but it wouldn't hurt if they at least had some of the next film set as flashbacks to WWII.

I'm not sure about that line about the sequel being set in modern times after the Avengers. It reads as though it's the conclusion of the person writing the article. Unless this film effectively shows us that what happens in the film is essentially all he did in WWII then there should still be potential for WWII era stories. Not that I'm saying they should feel forced to, but it wouldn't hurt if they at least had some of the next film set as flashbacks to WWII.

There certainly ARE plenty of stories from WWII to tel but this is the only whole movie they will make about it IMO. You may see flashbacks or dream sequences in sequels though. They are making this movie to get him to the present day. They are not going back after that, and even though I would enjoy any number of Cap period movies, they probably should just leave him in the present.

This shows a lot of confidence in their product they have, so I am very encouraged by this news :up:

There is plenty of time to get Cap 2 made, especially if it is being scripted now. I'd be happy with a 2013 of Captain America 2 and Iron Man 3 :cap: :im:

Doesn't show confidence really. They already have all these movies slated up through 2018 or so. They have stated that they have long term plans in place whether we know the details or not.

Doesn't show confidence really. They already have all these movies slated up through 2018 or so. They have stated that they have long term plans in place whether we know the details or not.
True. But I'm sure The Incredible Hulk had long term plans as well, but that went nowhere. Good to know the sequel is already somewhat in the works.

Why hasn't Thor 2 been greenlit yet? Does Marvel think Thor won't do too hot?

True. But I'm sure The Incredible Hulk had long term plans as well, but that went nowhere. Good to know the sequel is already somewhat in the works.

That has nothing to do with the subject though. All I said was that it doesn't show confidence to hire script-writers. Studios do that all the time as part of their long term plans. TIH isn't relevant to what was said. I'm sure they had a rough script for TIH II but didn't greenlight it. Last time they were asked they said they are still planning on making one, Avengers was just going to eat up their efforts for a few years.

They might not do it if it tanks, but that has nothing to do with "confidence". Thats result related.

All i'm saying is there is no tea leaves to be read in this. I think many are looking into it to much. They are working on all of this stuff and have openly said there will be sequels. Just because something gets leaked to us doesn't mean nothing else is going on.

*added*

I'm not really sure TIH or IM had ANY long term plans when they were made honestly. They were testing the waters to see if their whole "shared universe" concept could work. It wasn't until AFTER the success of IM that they really laid out their whole long term plans and they have been more concerned with getting the Avengers made. All efforts are leading up to that. They know it can work now, when they weren't sure then.

Last edited:

Who knows, but I'm not sure why anyone would think that based off some leaked unrelated info. Theres no "greenlight". Just hiring scriptwriters.

Last edited:

It's certainly the riskiest movie that marvel has done. Its a fantasy and fantasies that are not LOTR or harry potter rarely do well.

Wildcat - who says they are making this Cap movie to get him to the present day?

It's possible it's to introduce the character and establish why he is the living legend of WWII.

The Avengers could [and SHOULD] be the vehicle that gets him into modern times, just like Marvel did it in 1964.

Not to be mean or anything, but they did have actors signed for a TIH sequel too. And TIH had a sequel hook to it. I hope the same fate doesn't happen to Thor if it underperforms.

Well at least Hulk is getting a tv show.

Wildcat - who says they are making this Cap movie to get him to the present day?

It's possible it's to introduce the character and establish why he is the living legend of WWII.

The Avengers could [and SHOULD] be the vehicle that gets him into modern times, just like Marvel did it in 1964.

From what we've heard from leaks it begins and ends in the modern day. They aren't going to drag his origin out for more than one movie IMO. From what I read it wasn't even the original idea to do a period piece, they had to be sold on it.

Marvel has pretty much said that each new movie will further the meta-plot a little and tie into each other. I doubt they would deviate from that to go back and tell a stand alone (ie. The Wolverine) or make another origin film.

I obviously don't KNOW this and i'm not pretending to. I'm fairly confident this is the case though. If the movie begins with him in ice and ends in the present time its hard to imagine they will find him in Avengers.

They may thaw him out at the end of Cap and then show him acclimating and use that as his personal arc (which is a natural assumption either way).

Not to be mean or anything, but they did have actors signed for a TIH sequel too. And TIH had a sequel hook to it. I hope the same fate doesn't happen to Thor if it underperforms.

Not to be mean or anything, but the exact same thing will happen to Cap or GL if the movies underperform. Hiring screenwriters doesn't mean anything in terms of a sequel actually getting made this early on.

Its not mean at all. We are talking about 2 different things. Thats what I was trying to say.

The original suggestion was that hiring the script writers was a sign of their "confidence" in the Cap movie. I think its irrelevant because they ALWAYS have scripts ready and actors on the hook for the sequels. It doesn't mean anything. It also doesn't mean anythings been "greenlit" any more than any other sequel. Its just one that happened to get leaked. It wasn't an "announcement" or anything, just an inside leak.

I just think some are looking WAY to much into it is all i'm really saying. Its not a barometer for anything.

I honestly think TIH would have had a sequel except for 2 things:

1) Norton and Marvel not seeing eye to eye, which we all know. We just don't know exactly about what. It was easier just to go with Iron Man II until they got it worked out (which they just did with Ruffalo recently). I think they were TRYING to work it out with Norton but just couldn't.

2) They were more worried about Avengers and getting the other setup movies done to get it off the ground. They were operating at Max capacity at the time getting the others done. Feige said they were only capable of doing about 2 movies a year at the time, but they wanted to build up to do 4.

I think its an organic situation and not as simple as some are thinking. Not that black and white IMO. Last time I heard them speak of it they are STILL planning a sequel for Hulk AND the TV show (which they made the comment that the TV show WOULD NOT be tied into the movie-verse). Its just not a high priority until they build up to a bigger production schedule capability.

Its not mean at all. We are talking about 2 different things. Thats what I was trying to say.

The original suggestion was that hiring the script writers was a sign of their "confidence" in the Cap movie. I think its irrelevant because they ALWAYS have scripts ready and actors on the hook for the sequels. It doesn't mean anything. It also doesn't mean anythings been "greenlit" any more than any other sequel. Its just one that happened to get leaked. It wasn't an "announcement" or anything, just an inside leak.

I just think some are looking WAY to much into it is all i'm really saying. Its not a barometer for anything.

I honestly think TIH would have had a sequel except for 2 things:

1) Norton and Marvel not seeing eye to eye, which we all know. We just don't know exactly about what. It was easier just to go with Iron Man II until they got it worked out (which they just did with Ruffalo recently). I think they were TRYING to work it out with Norton but just couldn't.

2) They were more worried about Avengers and getting the other setup movies done to get it off the ground. They were operating at Max capacity at the time getting the others done. Feige said they were only capable of doing about 2 movies a year at the time, but they wanted to build up to do 4.

I think its an organic situation and not as simple as some are thinking. Not that black and white IMO. Last time I heard them speak of it they are STILL planning a sequel for Hulk AND the TV show (which they made the comment that the TV show WOULD NOT be tied into the movie-verse). Its just not a high priority until they build up to a bigger production schedule capability.

I wouldn't say that. I'll point to both the Spider-man and Batman movies as an example. They started scripting their films way after release. In fact, I believe that Nolan only got started scripting TDKR around early last year. They somewhat have a vision for the film, but there isn't a clear plan, especially considering that Sony kept switching around Raimi's ideas for Spider-man movies.

Not to be mean or anything, but the exact same thing will happen to Cap or GL if the movies underperform. Hiring screenwriters doesn't mean anything in terms of a sequel actually getting made this early on.

It depends on the expectations though. I think Cap will get a sequel even if it slightly underperforms because Cap is a more marketable character than Hulk and is Marvel's flagship character. I think it would take a little more than slightly underperforming for Cap to not get a sequel.

You can bring up Superman but let's be honest, WB is not as much into making superhero films like Marvel/Disney is.

having a sequel set in WWII would not be dragging out his origin, it would be expanding upon the legend...

even if they do book end the movie in the present, which is a huge mistake, they can still do sequels in the '40's as long as there is a logical break in the story.

I just do not want to see the same disaster made of this movie that Cannon made of their Cap in the '90's. You had his origin, he goes on one mission and basically fails, gets frozen, etc. Some living legend of WWII!

There have been quotes lately from both Feige and Joe J. saying it's all set in the past or wanting to do sequels in the past - so that gives me hope...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"