The Marvels: News and General Discussion thread

Interesting bit:

Sources say that Anna Boden and Ryan Fleck, who co-wrote and directed the initial 2019 hit, will not return to helm the sequel but are in talks to remain in the Marvel Universe and direct a possible Disney+ series. Marvel is hoping to find a female filmmaker for Captain 2and is eyeing a potential release in 2022.

So, who do we want to direct?

Well, I guess the pair possibly getting a Disney+ series, if that even happens, is their consolation prize.

Not all surprised they won't be back. They'll get a female director we probably haven't really heard of

I take it Captain Marvel 2 will get that February 18, 2022 release date. Ant-Man 3 will probably get July 29th, Black Panther 2 already has May 6, and I can't see them dating a big sequel for October.

October 7, 2022 will probably be Blade, likely with a lower budget like Joker.

I take it Captain Marvel 2 will get that February 18, 2022 release date. Ant-Man 3 will probably get July 29th, Black Panther 2 already has May 6, and I can't see them dating a big sequel for October.

Ant-Man 3 is supposed to be film January 2021 though. These films usually go into a production exactly a year before release.

If the directors don't come back, I'd have the same feeling as with Joe Johnston not coming back for TWS. They did good, IMO, with their respective time themed movie (CA the 40s, CM the 90s). But now that the character has changed and evolved, it is necessary for someone else to drive her story and take Carol to new places with an even more open mind.
Kinda why I'd like for someone else to direct Spidey after the one that's coming. Can't keep that John Hughes feel forever.

So, who do we want to direct?
If BW is indeed great and there are no plans for a sequel (that we know), maybe keep Cate Shortland around?

Yay! Can’t wait! I hope Genis Vell turns up.

you know who might be fun? Olivia Wilde (booksmart). She has a good sense of humour for general audiences plus she can do double duty as Moonstone! Imagine how good she would be as Moonstone

I'll switch A3 and CM2.

Though I have a feeling DS2 won't make its to 2021 date, but instead would be released in 2022. So Blade would probably not get a 2021 release.

I don't think Doctor Strange 2 will be moved. Ant-Man had a much later in the process director replacement, and made is release date. Also, it feels like the release window was part of the conflict. Do edu would they delay it for a new guy when they wouldn't for the dude who was on it for 4 years? Further, they would no longer have a May movie. Marvel ain't doing that.

I think new director on CM2 is best. I am thinking if it is 2022, it will be July

Last edited:
Glad to get some confirmation that its happening even though there wasn't any doubt that it would.

This is purely a hunch on my part but I think Captain Marvel 2 will wind up getting the May 2023 release date despite the reports to the contrary. Marvel seems to like to schedule the sequels to the breakout properties there and I think a case could be made that they are better off leaving some space between BP2 and CM2 to avoid having them overshadow the other.

If it's set in modern day, that means there's absolutely no chance of a proper 90s soundtrack now with songs like the Macarena or groups like B*Witched.

Yay! Can’t wait! I hope Genis Vell turns up.

you know who might be fun? Olivia Wilde (booksmart). She has a good sense of humour for general audiences plus she can do double duty as Moonstone! Imagine how good she would be as Moonstone

giphy.gif

I’m not sure why people are so shocked it was going to be present day. I thought after endgame that would be obvious but that’s ok.

someone mentioned Deborah chow as a contender. That would be pretty fun. I feel like she and Brie would connect really well like Burton and Depp or Taika and Chris Hemsworth

This is purely a hunch on my part but I think Captain Marvel 2 will wind up getting the May 2023 release date despite the reports to the contrary. Marvel seems to like to schedule the sequels to the breakout properties there and I think a case could be made that they are better off leaving some space between BP2 and CM2 to avoid having them overshadow the other.

I don't agree. Some rumors indicate that could be when the next Avengers movie is coming, and I tend to agree that's what it will be. So I think the 2022 time table is likely right.

But now I gotta wait two years! Aargh!!

Though, in two years time I'll probably be like, 'damn that was quick...'

Present day CM, awesome!

Yesssss please!

Also Monica and Carol reconnecting as well as Kamala Khan. Lot to look forward to with this movie
Yep, can’t wait till all 3 are up and running.

Besides Monica and Kamala, I really hope to see more character development when it comes to her family. The Life of Captain Marvel mini-series did a great job exploring her family history (especially her bad relationship with her father)
I was disappointed the first film never mentioned anything with her parents or even her brothers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"