Endgame Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers - Brie Larson

Agreed, been a fan of the character in the comics for a while now, and while I was one of the few who liked him as the villain in GOTG, he should have never been killed off so definitively. Especially as he becomes a heroic character in the comics. Ronan was ssssoooo good in Annihilation. I also liked him in Conquest, Annihilators and War of Kings. There is so much potential for the character on the big screen.

He had some awesome quotes as well.

Brie's confdent deadpan, yes.

Which has thrown a lot of fans for some reason when I think it's totally in line with how most humor is handled in the MCU.
Very cool

You guys are just making me wish even more for Marvel to course correct the character. The backtracking would be hilarious.

"No you see, she was already perfect before, but now she's, uh, perfecter!"

Last edited:
I'm so lost with this.. I can remember on this very sight the amount of fan boys who were swooning for Marvel to give us Captain Marvel in MCU already.

Like literally the topic went from "What's taking so long??" to all the digression many forums like these have become.

I see many of the gripes but do think the out cry has gotten way outta hand. If I had to put my finger on it there is definitely some sexual bias and misogynism going on here.

Carol’s “sacrifice yourself for the humans” moment happened when she blew up the spaceship drive in her own face rather than letting it fall into the hands of the Kree. She was already a hero, she was just finding out about it, whereas Thor as a prick with a fancy hammer that was his birthright before Odin stripped him of his power and sent him to mingle with the mortals.

That’s the difference here: Captain Marvel is not another “Absolute prick learns some measure of responsibility and caring for those who are not himself” story.

well Cap was a hero from the start too, and I still feel like we saw more lows for him... in TFA a lot of people felt at the time they didn't connect with the Steve-Bucky relationship so Bucky's death fell flat to them... but at the very least he did fully sacrifice himself at the end and had his unrequited love with Peggy.

And tbh, I guess I don't quite remember CM, because I don't remember that moment being her laying down her life, I thought she felt she could take it without much harm, and did. But I do admit, I gotta see it again

I see many of the gripes but do think the out cry has gotten way outta hand. If I had to put my finger on it there is definitely some sexual bias and misogynism going on here.

By and large, yeah, there's a s**t-ton of misogynism in the discussions around Captain Marvel. But for the most part, I think people here, like myself, like Brie and enjoy her Carol, we just want to see the character be done better. Very few posters here (well, on the marvel-related threads, at least) have said anything negative about Brie or jumped on the "her costars hate her!" bandwagon. And I don't want to see her "smile more" or dress sexy either. So far she's had one so-so solo and 5 unexplained minutes in Endgame. We want to see her elevated to the level many other MCU heroes have been, she just hasn't quite gotten there. But on the youtubes? yeah, buncha d**ks.

well Cap was a hero from the start too, and I still feel like we saw more lows for him... in TFA a lot of people felt at the time they didn't connect with the Steve-Bucky relationship so Bucky's death fell flat to them... but at the very least he did fully sacrifice himself at the end and had his unrequited love with Peggy.

And tbh, I guess I don't quite remember CM, because I don't remember that moment being her laying down her life, I thought she felt she could take it without much harm, and did. But I do admit, I gotta see it again

By and large, yeah, there's a s**t-ton of misogynism in the discussions around Captain Marvel. But for the most part, I think people here, like myself, like Brie and enjoy her Carol, we just want to see the character be done better. Very few posters here (well, on the marvel-related threads, at least) have said anything negative about Brie or jumped on the "her costars hate her!" bandwagon. And I don't want to see her "smile more" or dress sexy either. So far she's had one so-so solo and 5 unexplained minutes in Endgame. We want to see her elevated to the level many other MCU heroes have been, she just hasn't quite gotten there. But on the youtubes? yeah, buncha d**ks.

I like Brie Larson and I like the Capt Marvel character because I'm a fan of the mcu. However, I didn't find her movie amazing as much as I wanted to love it and I wasn't impressed with how she was used in EG or the haircut lmao

From some of the interviews I've seen of her I do get a je ne sais quoi kinda vibe about her and see where some criticisms come from. So maybe they don't like her personality...

Having said all that... The amount of negative conversation and videos about her are just plain over kill and exaggerated hyberbole at most.

I do want more of her and look forward to seeing how they develop her character in the future installments.

Last edited:
... she blew up a volatile object that was maybe 10 feet in front of her. She had zero expectation that she would survive that. And if not for the fact that a soldier from advanced alien race kidnapped her and provided immediate lifesaving measures, including a blood transfusion that in related media has been shown to literally bring people back from the dead, she wouldn’t have.

ohhh, in the flashback?

Okay I'll give ya that, but I still feel like powered-up Carol needs to have a similar moment of "I probably can't win this, but I'm gunna fight anyway"

They're going to have to do something like that. Having a two hour movie with a character just smashing through every obstacle with sheer strength is not going to fly. But I think we can trust Marvel to give her obstacles she'll have to rise above in order to succeed. In ten years and twenty-plus movies, they haven't let us down yet.

As the strength of the heroes have increased, more powerful enemies have been introduced to stand against them. Either that will (should) happen in CM2 or they'll have her lose her powers and she'll have to fight without them in order to regain them.

And IMHO, Carol was a hero before she had her powers. Just like Steve dropping onto that grenade, Carol destroying the lightspeed engine was a moment of self-sacrifice, because who thinks they are going to survive standing right next to an exploding engine?

They're going to have to do something like that. Having a two hour movie with a character just smashing through every obstacle with sheer strength is not going to fly. But I think we can trust Marvel to give her obstacles she'll have to rise above in order to succeed. In ten years and twenty-plus movies, they haven't let us down yet.

As the strength of the heroes have increased, more powerful enemies have been introduced to stand against them. Either that will (should) happen in CM2 or they'll have her lose her powers and she'll have to fight without them in order to regain them.

And IMHO, Carol was a hero before she had her powers. Just like Steve dropping onto that grenade, Carol destroying the lightspeed engine was a moment of self-sacrifice, because who thinks they are going to survive standing right next to an exploding engine?
There’s a lot of Cosmic threats out there who can match punches with Captain Marvel, but also there’s making the conflict into something you can’t necessarily punch your way out of. You can’t kill every battleship with your face if there are hostages/targets/spies on the battleship you need to keep alive. But also what if you might sympathize with the villains or not want to harm them (like, say, Talos’s wayward daughter in a Secret Invasion-esque plot?))

Some new footage here, including a better look at CM in her final suit.

Even though Captain Marvel was barely in Endgame, I loved every moment of her appearances. I really enjoyed her action beat during the final battle. And even though this is totally shallow, her new haircut was one of my favourite parts of the film lol. I liked the character and Brie's performance in her solo movie, but after seeing her new look, I think I'm in love. :hrt:

All of the hoopla over Internet trolls is so tiresome to me. It's the same culture war garbage we saw with The Last Jedi and the Ghostbusters remake, and I just try to steer clear of all that crap. I don't care about Brie's public remarks outside of the films either. What interests me is her acting and the character, and as far as I'm concerned it's another successful example of Marvel creating characters we like played by good actors.

I do think that Marvel and Brie are still trying to find their footing with Carol in some ways and figure out her niche. Marvel had so much success with Robert Downey Jr.'s Iron Man that a lot of their later characters fit into the same "cocky, irreverent quipster" archetype. Carol Danvers is a Han Solo type with a bit of sass, but at times it wasn't clear whether that characterization echoed Brie's strengths as an actor.

Endgame, however, gave me glimpses of exactly the kind of Captain Marvel I want to see. That scene where she says, "Hey, Peter Parker. You got something for me?" was perfect. It's like the moments in Man of Steel where Henry Cavill nailed exactly what Superman should be ("Don't play games with me, general" or the interrogation scene). Brie hit exactly the right notes there, and if she builds on that I think we're in for a great cinematic future with Carol Danvers.

Also, the question of how to write a character with such god-like powers isn't a new one. It's basically the Superman problem. But just as it's possible to write great Superman stories, there are lots of potentially great stories for Captain Marvel, provided you have a sufficiently creative and talented writer who can give her interesting challenges.

That scene where she says, "Hey, Peter Parker. You got something for me?" was perfect.

Lol, Spidey's really gotta stop telling everyone he meets his real name
I mean, other superheroes are ok I guess, but in the comics even they don't usually know who he is

D7qTuxlW4AAdntq

I guess this is a deleted scene where Carol introduces herself to the Avengers, or viceversa. I wish they hadn't cut it.

D7qTuxlW4AAdntq

I guess this is a deleted scene where Carol introduce herself to the Avengers, or viceversa. I wish they hadn't cut it.

That’s cool - I really wish they hadn’t cut that.

What are the odds we would get those cut scenes as bonus features on the blue-ray release? :(

Interesting. What was she doing on Vormir? Could this be 2014 Carol?

I wonder if this was filmed for that earlier sequence in which Thanos’ forces were supposed to arrive on Vormir and there was gonna be a battle. But neither of the Russo’s mentioned Carol being there...weird. I need an explanation to this. I would be here for Carol killing the Red Skull.

I was actually relieved that Carol wasn't at the forefront in Endgame, she served her purpose in the opening by finding Stark and Nebula in deep outer space, then she shows up at the climax to show her power and strength in battle.

Other than that she wasn't necessary to this picture because essentially this was about wrapping up the original 6 OG Avengers journey over the course of 10 years.

Carol will have her own challenges to face in future films as well as an A-Force film down the road.

Interesting. What was she doing on Vormir? Could this be 2014 Carol?

There were rumors that she was shot in and out of several scenes as the producers didn't know how much they would want to use her seeing as how her movie hadn't even been written yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"