Endgame Captain Marvel/Carol Danvers - Brie Larson

Better introduction and superior buildup over time. In simple terms, they didn't create a movie to convince everyone she's awesome, they just made her awesome and let everything else follow naturally from there.

It helps that, for all that she's one of the most powerful people in the setting, she also has fairly clear limits and weaknesses that allow you to write plots which don't break from her presence. Wanda might well be able to take on Thanos solo, but she's a glass cannon who can be beaten, or at least distracted, if enough crap comes in from too many different directions.
In simple terms, Carol is a lead character who gets her own movies, Wanda is a supporting character who backs up the (all but one) male lead characters. Maybe Wanda gets her own character arc time permits. That’s why Carol gets “a movie to convince everyone she’s awesome”, like Iron Man, Captain America, etc. (Hell, arguably Wanda does too, its called Age of Ultron).

Actually, come to think of it, I’m pretty sure people would still be complaining if Carol came in and beat the **** out of all the Avengers before turning good as Wanda does.

Number of movies in service has nothing to do with it. Vision is a literal Deus Ex Machina in AoU and people have less problem with him than the lady who’s a flying brick.

Olsen’s SW has clear weaknesses though and can be taken out physically with a well timed hit. Thanos could do nothing physically to Captain Marvel, he needed the help of an Infinity Stone just to fend her off.

Only villains I see ever being a challenge to her are Galactus and perhaps The Void if we ever get Sentry.
Still stands that she nearly did in "the biggest villain" who needed to call in help to get out of her clutches. But that doesn't seem to phase anyone.

Their problem is with Larson and her (bogus) anti-white male statements.
Not that there aren't enough insecure losers out there who can't accept the notion of a super powerful female hero.

I like Brie, and I like her as the character

If there is one thing I feel we still need to see with Carol tho, it's for her to struggle, and lose, and fight her way back from that... the whole "Why do we fall Master Bruce?" thing... every other Marvel character has lost, even just for a moment, in their films before having to pick themselves up and keep fighting. That lack of a struggle for her has probably led to some people perceiving of her a "Mary Sue" or whatever. Widow and Wanda and all the other female characters have gone through those highs and lows that make them relatable and vulnerable and have endeared them to the audience in a way Carol hasn't gotten yet.

I was really hoping to see her sense of loss and failure after the opening with Thanos, and to see her struggle next to her fellow heroes in the end battle against him.

But instead, she brushed off everything at the beginning and seemed totally unfazed by it, with her new outfit and snazzy new wig, and then shows up out of nowhere at the end to save the day, and even when Thanos sent her flying we didn't get that shot of a bloodied and bruised Carol picking herself up from the rubble, we just didn't see her again until the funeral where she looks again, fairly unfazed by everything that's transpired.

A lot of the criticisms are unfair, but Marvel still has some work to do with the character to take her to the next level like they've done with just about every other hero.

I'm in the group that thinks they should have gotten better writers/directors and a better story than what we got with CM.

I really wasn't impressed at all and my enjoyment came from it being another chapter in the mcu and how it connects to End Game. They really needed to build her up more with hints and easter eggs.

I can see the criticisms against the actress somewhat but think most of it just bs nonsense.

Still stands that she nearly did in "the biggest villain" who needed to call in help to get out of her clutches. But that doesn't seem to phase anyone.

She was pissed and was about to tear him apart and probable could've have.

Vision is a literal Deus Ex Machina in AoU and people have less problem with him than the lady who’s a flying brick.
People need to stop saying this. The plot of AoU was about Ultron trying to build himself a powerful new body and download his AI into it. The heroes then download a different AI into it and turn the body into Vision. That's not a Deus ex Machina, that's the heroes cleverly turning the villain's plan against him.

Endgame's equivalent is
Iron Man's use of the infinity gauntlet to defeat Thanos.

For some reason, Youtube recommended me a Geek+Gamers videos titled "The petition to remove Brie Larson as Captain Marvel gathers momentum".... :loco:

Wanda has shown how powerful she can be previously though. Even in AOU when she got angry she showed this. I really liked the Captain Marvel movie, but at least there she had a struggle and had to fight to be victorious in the end. And you can see in my sign how much I liked CM and I praised her performance in it. So this is not a man child or sexist thing like you seem to imply.

If we ever get a Justice League movie with Darkseid, and Superman nearly beats him on his own, I will be making the exact same complaints.

I really liked the Captain Marvel movie, but at least there she had a struggle and had to fight to be victorious in the end.

Did she though?
that 5 seconds of her being trapped with the Supreme Intelligence didn't really read as her almost being beaten, it was more of a small temporary obstacle... this is what I'm sayin' above.... Carol hasn't had a "Blow the reactor(IM1)" moment or a "Sacrifice yourself to protect the Humans(Thor)" moment or a "Let yourself get incinerated by Dormammu 80000 times" moment
She's walked to an easy victory in both of her current appearances, this is why I'm warming up to the "Rogue as a Villain in CM2" idea, because Rogue has proven to be a very formidable opponent for Carol in the past, one who can strip some of her powers and take her down a notch and show how Carol's resilience, not her powers, win in the end

Stan always said it's not the powers that matter, it's who they are underneath... and thus far, Carol's powers keep winning her battles for her. I already know her powers kick ass, but now I wanna see Carol being awesome.

Wanda has shown how powerful she can be previously though. Even in AOU when she got angry she showed this. I really liked the Captain Marvel movie, but at least there she had a struggle and had to fight to be victorious in the end. And you can see in my sign how much I liked CM and I praised her performance in it. So this is not a man child or sexist thing like you seem to imply.

If we ever get a Justice League movie with Darkseid, and Superman nearly beats him on his own, I will be making the exact same complaints.
Well I am more on the consistency of the opinion. It feels like you and others keep going on about this or that in regards to Danvers without seeing how it equally applies to Wanda and then rebutt that with a "Well THAT'S different" which I don't find convincing or even understandable given the initial statement.

Did she though?
that 5 seconds of her being trapped with the Supreme Intelligence didn't really read as her almost being beaten, it was more of a small temporary obstacle... this is what I'm sayin' above.... Carol hasn't had a "Blow the reactor(IM1)" moment or a "Sacrifice yourself to protect the Humans(Thor)" moment or a "Let yourself get incinerated by Dormammu 80000 times" moment
She's walked to an easy victory in both of her current appearances, this is why I'm warming up to the "Rogue as a Villain in CM2" idea, because Rogue has proven to be a very formidable opponent for Carol in the past, one who can strip some of her powers and take her down a notch and show how Carol's resilience, not her powers, win in the end

Stan always said it's not the powers that matter, it's who they are underneath... and thus far, Carol's powers keep winning her battles for her. I already know her powers kick ass, but now I wanna see Carol being awesome.

She did until the 3rd act, Yon Rogg beat her hand to hand at the start, the Skrulls surprised her and knocked her out and Star Force were a challenge for her in most of the 3rd act. But once the "I've been fighting with one hand tied behind my back" part happened she pretty much owned everything, that was my least favourite part of the movie though.

Well I am more on the consistency of the opinion. It feels like you and others keep going on about this or that in regards to Danvers without seeing how it equally applies to Wanda and then rebutt that with a "Well THAT'S different" which I don't find convincing or even understandable given the initial statement.

But again, Wanda has shown previously how powerful she can be when provoked/angered. And her powers mean she doesn't have to get up close to Thanos to do damage to him, so I consider it different. Captain Marvel physically overpowered Thanos, when it took most of the heroes to even get close to that previously. To me it cheapens the efforts of everyone in IW as they make it seem if Carol was around IW wouldn't have happened.

Last edited:
Did she though?

I've enjoyed Brie's CM in both flicks. And I thought her "Supermany" re-entry in Endgame as a ball of Sanctuary II demolishing energy was one of the highlights in a movie comprised almost totally of highlights. But I agree, a power drop may be necessary for Lady Space God in her next go round.

Rogue would definitely work, but that may mean rolling out Anna Marie prior to her mutant chums. Karla Sofen may fit better since her origin is tied into stealing someone else's powers. The not so good Doctor Soften manipulates CM with her psychiatric abilities and bad girl powers. She transfers Carol awesome space stone powers to her ownself and becomes a sullen, neck-snapping bully!

Last edited:
Loved Captain Marvel. I do think Carol did struggle in it and was knocked down several times throughout her life, as the flashbacks showed. So they weren't too many 'current' knock-downs except from Yon-Rog. But yes, her power is a huge crutch and I too would love to see her fight back without it in the next movie. Bring on Rogue!

As to what we saw in Endgame, keep in mind that filming for Endgame happened before Captain Marvel even started filming. As I understand it, the script hadn't even been written (or finalized?) yet while she was already doing the parts for Endgame.(?) Doing it that way meant that they couldn't get too in-depth with the character without in some ways 'ham-stringing' the writers of Carol's first movie.

All-in-all, I like what we got very much.

Did she though?

Rogue at the villain? I'd never even considered that - and I love the idea!

I think we are more likely to see something like that in CM3 though. CM2 seems set to have Ronan as the main antagonist.

Did she though?

Carol’s “sacrifice yourself for the humans” moment happened when she blew up the spaceship drive in her own face rather than letting it fall into the hands of the Kree. She was already a hero, she was just finding out about it, whereas Thor as a prick with a fancy hammer that was his birthright before Odin stripped him of his power and sent him to mingle with the mortals.

That’s the difference here: Captain Marvel is not another “Absolute prick learns some measure of responsibility and caring for those who are not himself” story.

I can't stop thinking (well not really, it's a figure of speech) about the interaction between Carol and Peter.

"You got something for me?" Holy crap, did Brie freaking nail that moment. The line delivery, the expression... it was glimpse into what a great Captain Marvel she could be if given the right material.

I'm in the camp of those who appreciate Captain Marvel's contributions and are excited for the character as well as for Brie, little girls, little boys and of course for what's to come.

Did I love her solo movie??
Honestly no, not really-- but I still somehow came out of the movie a fan of all of the characters and a HUGE fan of CM. It's actually quite peculiar because the movie is a bit forgetable, yet at the same time all of the characters really stay with you long after the movie-- in a really good way.

As for her role in Endgame it was perfect.
She had key critical badass moment sprinkled throughout. This false outcry from people about it being too convenient have obviously never a read a comic their whole lives!!! That's what u do- u take ur big hitters offline and for this movie that worked for so many other reasons as well, namely:

1. Her movie had not yet come out. Why commit to things and take control of her narrative before her solo movie?! The Russo's had to use her in a way that showcased her awesomeness, but left room for the directors of her origin movie.

2. The Endgame was always meant to be about closure, growth, and continued momentum for the original 6. The movie is their Endgame! This is why Black Panther wasn't heavily features in Infinity War and CM not in Endgame.

I wonder how much more we could have seen her interact with the other people had Captain Marvel been shot before Endgame or at least the script done. I'm guessing we won't see CM until 2012 at the earliest, but I'm almost hoping they shot some scenes with the other Avengers and they'd be shown as flashbacks in the sequel. Maybe show who nicknamed her Captain Marvel, unless that scene in the Spider-Man FFH is a fake as well.

Honestly I never expected her to have a huge role in this anyway, think Vision in AOU was always my approach.

I did like her solo a lot and will be buying the 4K, and I really hope the sequel is her Vs Ronan to show us the letters downfall. Plus I am a big fan of Ronan as a character so that helps.

Still feel they need to tone her powers down a bit though.

I REALLY want Ronan to get a fully fleshed-out portrayal in one of these things. Lee Pace and the character both deserve better than what he's gotten so far. I feel like CM2 will be his last shot.

I REALLY want Ronan to get a fully fleshed-out portrayal in one of these things. Lee Pace and the character both deserve better than what he's gotten so far. I feel like CM2 will be his last shot.

Agreed, been a fan of the character in the comics for a while now, and while I was one of the few who liked him as the villain in GOTG, he should have never been killed off so definitively. Especially as he becomes a heroic character in the comics. Ronan was ssssoooo good in Annihilation. I also liked him in Conquest, Annihilators and War of Kings. There is so much potential for the character on the big screen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"