Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's because BP's production is much further along because it's coming out sooner. Let's not forget this time last year people were panicking because they weren't even sure BP still had a screenwriter, lol.

Yes. We've also SEEN BP on the screen and he was pretty impressive. That in and of itself tells you the character is pretty well formed (call me Captain Obvious). I know I sound like a broken record, but boy is Marvel strengthening their stable of actors or what.....

As for Capt. Marvel, she's my favorite character out of the freshman, but Marvel's cautiousness about their approach to the character still has me equally as cautious, despite thinking Larson is a great, if not completely perfect, pick. Add that to Marvel's current mishandling of the character in the books, and I'm just praying the film writers have a better handle on her than the current comic writers **cough**BENDIS**cough** do.

Bendis. Don't even get me started about Bendis. Civil War 2 is trash and Captain Marvel is getting zero sympathy in the main books. Her tie-in issues help salvage what's left of the character, but people aren't reading that because Carol isn't even portrayed as remotely likeable in the main book. Most people reading are on Tony's side for obvious reasons. This is Marvel's "grand plan" for pushing Captain Marvel. Seriously.

I can think of a much better scenario for Civil War 2:

SHH receives a vision from Ulysses that a gang of angry comic book fans will beat the crap out of Bendis at NYCC. What do you do? Fight the future or protect the future? Seriously, screw this whole event.

Once the film is out I got news... There just won't be enough comic Carol fans for any that to matter. More people will see the Larson Marvel than probably have ever read anything of the character in her decades long existence. And that will happen in one day. LITERALLY.

^I know, I'm REALLY excited about the prospect of this character practically becoming a household name overnight. I don't think that's ever happened with something I was a fan of before. All the other superheroes I've loved were already famous characters and well-represented in various media long before I came to love them. And sure, little-known actors I've been a fan of have gone on to become big stars (like Christian Bale, whom I've loved since Newsies, lol), and that was cool, but I didn't KNOW that was gonna happen ahead of time. Knowing ahead of time on this (and when exactly it's going to happen) is kinda fun. :D

Last edited:
People forget that the movies basically saved Tony Stark after Civil War made him the most hated character in Marvel's stable.

Maybe this is Marvel hoping lightning strikes twice.:oldrazz:

Well, I hope we don't have to wait for 2019 to see Carol get some redemption... Margaret Stohl's run is right around the corner and she might be able to do some damage control, if Marvel lets her.

I don't get why people take bad character depictions so much to heart. There are characters that have been around for 50 years yet people will still get mad over some bad depiction of the character 20 or 30 years ago.

We're fan(anatic)s. It's what we do. :oldrazz: It's definitely silly, but I guess it's no different than sport enthusiasts getting angry whenever their team performs badly.

Well that's because BP's production is much further along because it's coming out sooner. Let's not forget this time last year people were panicking because they weren't even sure BP still had a screenwriter, lol.

It's not just about being further along but the talent involved and their understanding of how important this movie is, not just for Marvel or the genre but for film in general.

Ryan Coogler is an incredible talent. The level of research from him and everyone else working on this film is incredible. They're going above and beyond the comics and are exploring and familiarising themselves with the history of cultures in Africa, speaking to NASA and other science and technology centric subjects. Coogler has stated that this will be his most personal film and with him co-writing and directing, this is a film where nothing less than 200% will be put in.

The film so far has a great cast and they're fully aware of the gravity the character has to so many people and it's influence and opportunities going forward. This film is being approached with both caution and confidence as well as a clear understanding as to what the film needs to be and hopefully it'll be realised to the extent that this movie is a huge success in every conceivable way.

I don't get why people take bad character depictions so much to heart. There are characters that have been around for 50 years yet people will still get mad over some bad depiction of the character 20 or 30 years ago.

we'll at the moment we're concerned about Carol being written badly.... right now.
If anybody picks up Civil War II to familiarize themselves with "Marvel's first (solo) Female Superhero", they're going to say "oh she's a naive fascistic dumbass who's willing to kill or incarcerate innocent people AND her own teammates... yea no thank you"

The vast majority of the movie going public don't really care what is going on in the comics. They care about the characters depictions in the movies.

Just about every popular long running character has had at least one controversial portrayal or storyline in their history.

I very much doubt her current portrayal will have any negative effect in the long term.

not long term, no, it's just poorly timed
Marvel (Comics) claims to want to grow their readership
Yet they never have any good products available when the movies hit

not long term, no, it's just poorly timed
Marvel (Comics) claims to want to grow their readership
Yet they never have any good products available when the movies hit

Marvel has always been pretty terrible at capitalizing on the success of their movie characters in my opinion. They just shove a character in the a book but ignore the elements that made those characters successful in the movie version.

Marvel has always been pretty terrible at capitalizing on the success of their movie characters in my opinion. They just shove a character in the a book but ignore the elements that made those characters successful in the movie version.

Yup. Just look at Bendis on Guardians of the Galaxy.

If anybody picks up Civil War II to familiarize themselves with "Marvel's first (solo) Female Superhero", they're going to say "oh she's a naive fascistic dumbass who's willing to kill or incarcerate innocent people AND her own teammates... yea no thank you"
That sounds just wonderful. :dry: Are you exaggerating for comedic effect or is that really happening.

Yup. Just look at Bendis on Guardians of the Galaxy.
Wait, so I guess it's not worth checking out? Because I was eventually planning to read it since Captain Marvel appears in it at some point.

It's not terrible, just not remotely as good as the run that preceded it (the one that inspired the movie). If you're a fan of Captain Marvel it's probably worth a look.

That sounds just wonderful. :dry: Are you exaggerating for comedic effect or is that really happening.

not really exaggerating, I'd say 'framing her position in an unflattering light" but no, she has actually incarcerated and killed (ok, Hawkeye killed and she defended him) innocent people based off some random dude's visions... most of said visions have turned out true but she still comes off terribly, imo

Last edited:
Oh, the Hawkeye thing... yep, that was pure crap.
I really, really don't know why they're even doing this. I mean, I'm aware that the series is apparently selling really well, but... ok, I guess I just answered my own question, didn't I. :hehe:

If you're a fan of Captain Marvel it's probably worth a look.
Even if she was written by the same person who's currently destroying her? :o
But kidding aside, thanks for the answer. I think I'll give it a read at some point... right now I'm kinda mad at Bendis so I really don't feel like supporting his stuff, lol.

Last edited:
So why didn't they use Agents of Shield to explain her origin?

All it takes is that she was another recipient of that gh drug they used to raise Phil from the dead but she's actually a potential inhuman so rather than hallucinating she gained her powers and has been training to use her powers properly under the guise of Ms Marvel and by the start of the movie assumes the Captain Marvel mantle and introduce the new Ms Marvel as part of the release of the Terrigenesis event?

So far its been somewhat odd they haven't made use of any of that!

Any ideas why not?

Nope, thanks for sharing. :up:

The red hair is no more, I see. :sly:

I noticed that too...:woot:

cEPmnBP.jpg

Well, Infinity War starts filming in a couple of months if I'm not mistaken... Coindidence? I think not. :awesome:

So why didn't they use Agents of Shield to explain her origin?

All it takes is that she was another recipient of that gh drug they used to raise Phil from the dead but she's actually a potential inhuman so rather than hallucinating she gained her powers and has been training to use her powers properly under the guise of Ms Marvel and by the start of the movie assumes the Captain Marvel mantle and introduce the new Ms Marvel as part of the release of the Terrigenesis event?

So far its been somewhat odd they haven't made use of any of that!

Any ideas why not?
I know many people would disagree with me on this but I think it's because while the MCU is canon with Agent of Shield, Agent of Shield is not canon with the MCU, at least not so far... if that makes any sense.

Personally I wouldn't want them to go that route because 1) I don't care for AoS and I don't want to be forced to watch it and 2) I don't want Captain Marvel to be an Inhuman.

The trailer for Free Fire looks like a lot of fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"