Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of action scenes, I hope whoever directs the solo movie can provide us with some satisfying, over-the-top displays of Carol's powers because I'm not sure if I trust the Russos to deliver in that department. Civil War gave me the impression that they don't really know what to do with superpowered characters.

Civil War was a Captain America movie. Most of the main characters aren't very powerful heroes. The Russos didn't want Viz and Wanda to overpower the plot so they had them as two heroes holding back a lot, because their powers are so destructive. Trust me, when Infinity War hits, they won't have a reason to hold back and things will be different.

^ I hope you're right. They need to go all out with Infinity War.

Redemption stories can be quite good, though. It would give Margaret Stohl a compelling arc to work with when Captain Marvel's book is relaunched for the umpteenth time.
If Stohl can manage to produce something good out of this whole mess I'll be very happy.

What bothers me though is that the only reason we need a redemption arc in the first place is because Bendis is failing to do his job. And now we have a character who has to be redeemed from bad writing, for being made to act completely unlike herself by a writer who doesn't seem to know what "nuanced" means.

But hey, that's the downside of serialized entertainment, I guess. You just have to accept that, eventually, some misguided writers who have no idea of what they're doing will come around and ruin what you enjoy. Life is so hard. :o

Last edited:
HE LIED TO US!

Why does Kevin Feige and Marvel HATE their fans? :o

We're a bunch of grouchy whiners.....at least I am.....that's why he hates me anyway.

The Gage's are doing a lot of damage control in Captain Marvel ...but people need to actually pick up the comic and read it to see that.

Again, the fact alone that we need a redemption arc and damage control shows how much Bendis effed this up. :hehe:

Speaking of action scenes, I hope whoever directs the solo movie can provide us with some satisfying, over-the-top displays of Carol's powers because I'm not sure if I trust the Russos to deliver in that department. Civil War gave me the impression that they don't really know what to do with superpowered characters.

Really? I got the exact opposite impression. The airport fight was probably one of the coolest moments ever put to a superhero film. The big flaw was Vision completely disappearing conveniently, but that's really more of a function of storytelling. He's simply too powerful, and in a hero vs. hero story like that it'd end the conflict too quickly.

In fact I kinda got the opposite problem. It seemed like they didn't really know what to do with Widow and Hawkeye, the two token normal humans. Black Widow vanishes after getting one-shotted by Wanda, and the most useful thing Hawkeye accomplishes is shooting an arrow with Ant-Man on it.

It's not their lack of screentime I have a problem with, it's how they were used. I thought the way the powers and abilities of characters like Vision, Wanda and even the Iron guys and Spidey were displayed was pretty basic and unimaginative. The Russos may be good at directing grounded action scenes but they still haven't proved to me that they can handle crazier stuff. Joss Whedon was a lot better in this regard.

Just how I feel. Ant-Man was used perfectly though, and I'm not even a huge fan of him. I guess I should also add that I've only seen the movie once.

I'd have to disagree to a truly insane degree. Spider-Man's scenes were probably some of the most exciting. The scene of him flipping over the cars Wanda was tossing at him was spectacular.

I'd have to disagree to a truly insane degree. Spider-Man's scenes were probably some of the most exciting. The scene of him flipping over the cars Wanda was tossing at him was spectacular.

IA with this. Spidey was pretty much what I would expect

It's not their lack of screentime I have a problem with, it's how they were used. I thought the way the powers and abilities of characters like Vision, Wanda and even the Iron guys and Spidey were displayed was pretty basic and unimaginative. The Russos may be good at directing grounded action scenes but they still haven't proved to me that they can handle crazier stuff. Joss Whedon was a lot better in this regard.

When it comes to Wanda, really? One can blame Whedon for that as he pretty much made her power TK. I dont see how his interpretation of her wasnt basic and unimaginative.

Ok, but those new powers he gave her, he still managed to display them better than the Russos did... even though he got them all wrong. I... I'm not sure if what I just said makes any sense.

So anyway, I heard that our Captain Dumbass officially went full fascist in the latest CM issue (what did she do this time? I'm perversely curious) and that she's now officially lost the support of the Alpha Flight, too.

Half of the Avengers, Jessica, Kamala, now the AF... How many other people (some of whom she even deeply loves and cares about) will have to turn against her, before she starts considering the idea that she might be wrong?

Ok, but those new powers he gave her, he still managed to display them better than the Russos did... even though he got them all wrong. I... I'm not sure if what I just said makes any sense.

So anyway, I heard that our Captain Dumbass officially went full fascist in the latest CM issue (what did she do this time? I'm perversely curious) and that she's now officially lost the support of the Alpha Flight, too.

Half of the Avengers, Jessica, Kamala, now the AF... How many other people (some of whom she even deeply loves and cares about) will have to turn against her, before she starts considering the idea that she might be wrong?

I've been very critical with his Bendis has handled Civil War 2, but its obvious Marvel is robbing Carol of all her friends and support. Its puting her in a very vulnerable place. I'm actually very interested in seeing what happens with her character next. She's in a very dark place now.

Honestly, I think you're being too objective. You have to put yourself in her shoes. Back in Civil War #0, she mentioned to Doc Samson that she's tired of heroes, friends being killed. Then, her boyfriend is killed responding to Ulysses' visions(stopping Thanos) and hasn't had any time to grieve. She has an emotional investment in these visions.

Dying is the risk you run when you're on the front lines fighting world ending threats
If someone can't accept those risks, they probably shouldn't be a superhero

you'd think she'd be even more tired of fighting friends, and the casualties that result from that

and on the "boyfriend" point, I wonder what her stance would be if Bruce Banner was her boyfriend

27 years ago an angel was born. Happy Birthday Brie Larson!

Speaking of Larson... I finally watched Scott Pilgrim a few days ago, and while I'm still not sure if I liked the movie (at least Cera was just as unlikable as the character he was playing... perfect casting there, Wright!), I've got to say that, as expected, Brie was simply awesome in it, even though she only had a handful of scenes.

Gawd, this woman just oozes charisma.

tumblr_massv4Lvfi1qfo9f3o4_250.gif

I've been very critical with his Bendis has handled Civil War 2, but its obvious Marvel is robbing Carol of all her friends and support. Its puting her in a very vulnerable place. I'm actually very interested in seeing what happens with her character next. She's in a very dark place now.
Again, all that drama and conflict you're describing doesn't sound in any way appealing to me, since it's nothing but the unearned result of Bendis' shallow writing. I don't want to see Carol have to deal with the consequences of dumb actions that she's being forced to take by a writer who apparently doesn't understand her.

If anything, it's Bendis himself the one who should make amends for the events of Civil War II, not the fictional character he's assassinating. :o

Last edited:
I actually kinda think Carol Is in an interesting position as well. Really intrigued to see where Stohl takes her.

Though really all I ask is that Carol and Jessica be friends again. That last issue of Spider-Woman killed me.

I'll have to sit down one weekend and watch Brie Larsons movies.

That last issue of Spider-Woman killed me.
That's exactly why I have dropped almost all the Marvel books for the time being. If I don't read it, it can't hurt me. :csad: :hehe:

Wake me up when Carol stops making an ass of herself and her and Jessica are BFF again.

Oh I'm sure they'll be BFF's again. I think they're too important to each other to not be. But you gotta admit...It'll be to see where Carol goes without friends. And where Jess goes without Carol (who when you really look at it, was probably the most intimate relationship she had with anyone however you interpret that friendship).

It could be like the Flash series. The accident happens in Infinity War and wakes up from a coma in the solo.

Yes, I'd speculated that she will be a soldier or perhaps an agent of SWORD or the rebuilt SHIELD in Infinity War. I noticed that in Tony's vision to the battle with Thanos in AOU, they took time to show that there were dead soldiers of some kind with the Avengers.

tumblr_nte5xyAivM1uqyzfgo3_500.gif

Perhaps there will be some sort of similar force helping the heroes out and that is how Carol is initially introduced.

I can't see them casting the actress three years early unless they planned to use her somewhere soon.

Well, she will inevitably be filming the second Infinity War movie; so her earlier casting would be justified even if she didn't turn up until her solo movie. I'd be surprised if she made no appearance at all in the first Infinity War movie, though.

Isn't Captain Marvel coming out before the second IW movie?

Yes it is. The Captain Marvel movie has had it's release date switched a lot, but they've always kept it as the last movie to come out before IW part two.

"What is one of the coolest things about it is she will be by far the most powerful character we've ever introduced in the movie. 'How do you find those limitations? How do you find those vulnerabilities?' is something that is sort of at the crux of the story that we're putting together. She has -- as you know from the comics -- an interesting story, and I think we have a very cool and unique way of telling that story. I don't think it's leaked yet exactly what we're doing with her movie or how we're doing it, but it will be cool. She will prove to be a very important character in our universe for all the movies."

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/10...or-captain-marvel-is-important-to-kevin-feige

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"