Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Discussion in 'Captain Marvel' started by Thread Manager, Oct 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BoredGuy

BoredGuy Chairman of the Bored

aw hells naw
    "by far the most powerful"? Her and Thor should be similar power levels, as they are in the books
    besides, those super powerful Superman-types are boring and tough to write good stories around

having to ask "how do you find her vulnerabilities" and not having a good story sussed out yet is not a great sign... not saying the movie will be bad at all, but it's not encouraging

#876 BoredGuy, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  2. Mike5575

Mike5575 I'm the Captain now!

There is no such thing as boring characters. There's only writers who write boring characters. So long as Carol is given some form of vulnerabilities and/or character flaws, then she'ok be fine.

As far as the script is concerned, I'm sure its likely done, since Marvel has been screening directors for the film for quite some time now. Marvel usually picks their directors two years from release date. Aww you can see, there's nothing to worry about. Now don't you hate it that you've been worrying over nothing?

3. BoredGuy

Idk, when you have to find convoluted ways to find a character's weakness or vulnerability, it very rarely makes for a good story, that's why they haven't made Thor a completely all-powerful Superman in the MCU, so he can be in danger every once in a while. Character flaws help, but I also don't want to see her weakness be "herself" cuz that's kinda cliche and usually makes for angsty, un-fun superhero cinema (see: Green Lantern, Man of Steel, Ang Lee Hulk)

mayyybe your "boring characters" statement is true, but the more god-like you make them, the tougher they are for any writer short of a Grant Morrison to make interesting

#878 BoredGuy, Oct 13, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  4. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

My impression is that Feige might be just trying to (over)sell the character to people who are not familiar with her. She's in no way nearly as powerful and invulnerable as he's making her out to be.

Well, unless he's talking about her Binary form, which for all we know might not even make it into the MCU. And even if it does, it doesn't necessarily have to be as overpowered as it is in the comics.

I have no freaking idea what Feige is trying to say here. :hehe: What does this even mean.

5. MbJ

MbJ Registered

It's not that hard to parse. It's something they really think SHOULD be part of the equation but if it isn't then it's not the end of the world. I'd vastly prefer a female point of view on this project (just like they made sure to get a black director on Black Panther) but it's not like there's absolutely no way a Captain Marvel movie could ever be made without a woman in the director's chair.

6. Brian Braddock

Brian Braddock R.I.P. '96 Y.N.W.A.

Binary was the first thing I thought of when I read what Fiege said. Surely not?

7. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

I dunno, I have a feeling that at some point down the line we'll definitely hear something about Binary. At least I hope so, because it's an aspect of the character that I really think it's worth exploring, and... oh who am I kidding, I mainly just want to see Larson's hair burst into flames.

But no seriously, that's a good question. Should the Binary form ever be introduced into the MCU? It's an element that in the hand of the wrong writers could easily be turned into a lazy deus ex machina.

It's hard if you're dumb and completely miss the context of the sentence. Yeah, I get it now. He was saying that being a woman is not a requirement to make a great Captain Marvel movie (which is true, of course)... For some stupid reason I though he was saying that making a great Captain Marvel movie is important but not a requirement, and I was like, wut.

I swear, some days I feel like my knowledge of English is getting worse instead of improving. :hehe:

8. flickchick85

flickchick85 Mod of Might

I do expect to see her Binary form at some point, but I'd prefer it be mentioned as a theoretical possibility at first, and not actually shown until the sequel or Infinity War 2.

9. Iceman

Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

Definitely the way to do it. I think I'd prefer the IW2 climax as that is probably going to be the time it's most needed.

10. Mike5575

Fanmade Captain Marvel trailer with Brie Larson.

[YT]https://youtu.be/NIZIb6b6d6s[/YT]

11. scarlet-witch

scarlet-witch Stormborn

We still have a long ways until they need to work out her "vulnerabilities" in the script. That's not worrying me yet. I do believe Feige when he says they'll make her the strongest though.

12. MbJ

MbJ Registered

A strong character need not be invincible. All you need to do is come up with a villain who is as strong, and/or a situation that she can't just solve by punching someone in the face.

13. hopeless

hopeless Registered

What I don't get is why the messing around?

There have been a number of ways to introduce Carol Danvers but all seem to have fallen to the side by virtue of them being uninterested in a simple explanation or just forgetting what has already been done.

Agents of SHIELD and their explanation for Coulson's return could have easily had Carol as one of the recipients except her inhuman gene protected her from whatever insanity effected the others.

It could have led to why they had to rewrite Coulson's brain but also reveal that entity they derived the serum from was actually trying to communicate and its pleading to be allowed to die is what so badly effected the recipients of his regenerative abilities.

Maybe they will demonstrate Carol's ability to store energy and that eventually reveals why she gets so powerful since I recall in the animated series they had her absorbing energy blasts and it wouldn't stretch things that her abilities would improve in time allowing her to become Ms Marvel before her Captain role.

Really hope they deal with this much better but not got my hopes up!

14. Tg11

Tg11 Registered

I wonder who they will get as the villain or villainess assuming they go with a female villain alongside Brie Larson's Captain Marvel but if they go with a male villain then I wonder who they will go with?

15. MbJ

MbJ Registered

There is zero chance her origin is something connected to AOS. As far as the movies are concerned, that show doesn't even exist.

16. Dr. Evil

Dr. Evil Registered

hmm.....if they have Monica Rambeau in the movie, I wonder who Marvel would have in mind to play the role. If they hire someone who is the same age as Larson is now (who is 27), that narrows the field tremendously to like Kat Graham and Kylie Bunbury. If they go with someone who is currently 30 or 31 years old or someone who is around the same age as Evans (35) or Hemsworth (33) that expands the field rapidly to include names like Gugu Mbatha Raw, Teyonah Parris, Nicole Beharie and Aja Naomi King.

17. flickchick85

18. Abudefduf

Abudefduf Registered

#894 Abudefduf, Oct 22, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2016
  19. jokesonm3

jokesonm3 Jokes For Short.

Damn straight.

20. Mike5575

It sounds as if she'll have Silver Surfer level power. She may even take his role in Infinity War. Hopefully Jessica Drew shows up at some point.

[​IMG]

21. MbJ

MbJ Registered

http://www.vulture.com/2016/10/captain-marvel-movie-director-kevin-feige.html

Looks like part of the reason for the director announcement holdup is they're still trying to figure out how the movie should tie into Avengers 4. They say we'll know by the end of the year.

I like Naomie Harris personally.

22. BoredGuy

I'm a both fan, and I'm fine with them being on similar levels
    it's the "by far" part that bothers me

no need to amp one up when they've purposely toned the other down

23. flickchick85

Honestly, they wouldn't need to amp Carol up at all from the comics to make her appear more powerful than MCU!Thor, though. So just by nerfing Thor and making her power levels the same, she WILL seem like "by far" the most powerful one.

24. Mike5575

Maybe Carol will be among the most powerful, but her binary powers will push her power levels far beyond that or Thor and Hulk. That would be fine, especially since her binary powers are only used in small doses.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.