Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the current costume but I still prefer Carol with longer hair like in her previous run. No complaints about Rocafort's art, though. His work on Ultimates is stunning, imo.

Yeah I hate the short hair.

Captain Mar-Vell definitely Ewan McGregor gets my vote

I'm so excited. I'm getting goosebumps! Anyone else thinks Feige should stop teasing Black Widow? I mean, he's been saying this for a while, though. Just sayin.

I have a feeling the director and actress will be someone none of us expected.

I hope not.

Blunt or Chastain all the way... :csad:

I have a feeling the director and actress will be someone none of us expected.
That's how it usually goes, yeah.

Announcing a director in the next month or two?! Purely guessing here, but that quote makes me think they've already been talking to their choices and are very close to having one chosen (if not locked down already), and are just working out the details and waiting for their chosen time to announce it. And it sounds like the casting search may be officially beginning, too.

Strangely, for some reason, I'm very nervous about the director announcement, while I'm just excited for the actress announcement. I dunno why, probably because deep down I know the director will almost certainly NOT be anyone I was hoping for and probably sound underwhelming at first with not the most impressive resume to back them up (like the Russos, and Derrikson and the Thor: Ragnarok guy). Whoever it is will probably turn out well, but there have been a few duds here and there that will keep me cautious. But actresses? Pure excitement because I completely trust Marvel's judgment in casting their leads.

Last edited:
Captain Marvel...directed by Michelle MacLaren, starring Brie Larson.

Based on the timing, SDCC announcement most likely. I think it's only fair that they put a bit of effort in the announcement for Marvel's first solo titular female hero, SDCC is a place where they can make it into a big hoopla.

I'd rather see MacLaren direct Inhumans, actually. I think her GoT experience would serve her especially well there. I'll just hold onto my pipe dream of Doug Liman or Brad Bird for Captain Marvel just a little longer, lol.

Oh I love this news a lot! :D

I hope we get a shortlist just to have an idea on who they're aiming for.

Hmmm... "Probably SOME castmmberS" so besides Carol, who do you guys think they'll announce as well?

Oh I love this news a lot! :D

I hope we get a shortlist just to have an idea on who they're aiming for.

Hmmm... "Probably SOME castmmberS" so besides Carol, who do you guys think they'll announce as well?
While I'd love to get BOTH Monica and Jessica as Carol's friends in this movie, I doubt we will. But I still strongly believe we'll get ONE of them. At least one of her mentors (Helen Cobb or Tracy Burke) will probably be included too. If they have the rights, Abigail Brand. And Don Cheadle as Rhodey. Maybe Benedict Cumberbatch as Strange, too, depending on how they want to use him throughout the rest of the MCU.

No thanks to Brie as Captain Marvel

At last, some news. Can't wait.

I was thinking though... Don Cheadle is gonna be 55 by 2019.
The idea of a middle-aged and not exactly young-looking War Machine romancing whoever will be cast as Carol (I'm assuming an actress in the 30-40 age range) makes me kinda uncomfortable, lol.
It would be better if they just ignored that part of the cb canon, imho.

Last edited:
^

Cheadle doesn't look all that old IMO. Can easily pass off as 40 something.

For example, RDJ is 51, but Tony Stark is 46. Plus, I'm sure many of his pre-Pepper conquests were, um, lets say "considerably" younger than himself. Admittedly, Rhodey isn't Tony, but Cheadle is also (probably) playing Rhodey younger than his actual age... though I don't believe Rhodey's age is actually stated anywhere.

If Marvel casts Danvers age appropriately (mid-30's), I don't think a Danvers-Rhodey romance would feel creepy at all. Well, not to me at least. Not saying it has to happening or anything... it's just that i don't think it would be off putting in any way.

Last edited:
The age difference itself is definitely not the problem (there's nothing creepy about it, I agree); having the first female led MCU movie continue Hollywood's nonsensical tradition of pairing up young actresses with older men sort of is, though.

Also, Cheadle really is too old. I just don't want Carol to come off as a gerontophile to the GA. :o

Last edited:
Then I would go with Chastain then as Captain Marvel to Don Cheadle's Rhodes

If they don't use Don Cheadle/Rhodey in this movie, I wouldn't mind bringing in another character to be her love interest. I think it would be cool to use John Jameson (J Jonah Jameson's son). He's a pilot/astronaut and it would provide connectivity to the Spidey mythos.

Last edited:
No thanks to Brie as Captain Marvel

slUzpMR.gif

If they don't use Don Cheadle/Rhodey in this movie, I wouldn't mind bringing in another character to be her love interest. I think it would be cool to use John Jameson (J Jonah Jameson's son). He's a pilot/astronaut and it would provide connectivity to the Spidey mythos.
I agree Cheadle's a little on the older side to be her love interest (not that that's ever stopped Hollywood before), but if they decide not to go in that direction, I kinda liked the idea someone else here had of making Star-Lord her love interest. They're always flirty in the comics and HIS main love interest, Kitty Pryde, belongs to Fox, so I could see them making for a nice substitute pairing. He's also probably the only other MCU hero that would love Star Wars as much as she does, lol.

Mar-Vel can be Carol's love interest before he dies a heroic death.

RDJ 51 - Paltrow 43
Evans 34 - Atwell 34 Van Camp 29
Hemsworth 32 - Portman 34
Rudd 47 - Lilly 36

Marvel has definitely not gone the traditional Hollywood route with its couples
that said, at 51 to say Blunt's 33, Cheadle would def be a little old

If they give her a love interest in her film, I'm betting Carol has feelings for Mar-Vell, not Rhodey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"