Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
well knowing the MCU, she'll probably only get called that once at most
maybe "Marvel" will be her call sign (ala 'Maverick') and when she gets promoted they call her that

its one of my small pet-peeves about the Marvel U, so hesitant to use the superhero names.... only Steve regularly gets called 'Cap'

What about Cheeseburger?

HypdGu1.gif

[YT]-KJPP7GkuPU[/YT]

Hopefully some new info. LOL it WOULD have to be in a cover for a movie I have no interest in...

A little interview with Nicole Perlman. Among other things, she briefly discusses Larson's age issue (if you even want to call it that) and she confirms that movie Carol will indeed be a member of the Air Force.

WTF??!!! She's supposed to be a mentally ill woman who got struck by lightning!!!:cmad:

^ :funny:

Those ski suits are awesome. :up:

Yeah, those are pretty awesome
I always thought Athletic gear should be a little more superhero-inspired, bring it full circle since the original comic costumes were based on wrestling unitards

Aw, but I really wanted to know what she thinks of cashew nuts. Why cut off the most interesting part of the article.

WTF??!!! She's supposed to be a mentally ill woman who got struck by lightning!!!:cmad:
I know, right? What a crushing disappointment, we were all so excited about the idea of In Name Only Carol. Shame on Derrickson, he got our hopes up for nothing.

I just hope they approach this the way they would any other superhero. I don't want to end up with a Mary Sue because they're trying to avoid accusations of sexism.

I hope we get soon the First Pic of Brie in her Costume

Aw, but I really wanted to know what she thinks of cashew nuts. Why cut off the most interesting part of the article.

Ha Ha! Wasn't me, I found the picture online :woot:

I just hope they approach this the way they would any other superhero. I don't want to end up with a Mary Sue because they're trying to avoid accusations of sexism.

I think Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel face the same damned if they do and damned if they don't predicament.

If they don't address certain issues that come with a female superhero they will get heat from some people and if they do address certain issues they will get heat from others.

When it comes to women superheroes there is some expectation that the movies have to more than just entertainment and the characters have to use their representation to tackle sexism/misogyny.

I can see why nicole perlman & meg lefauve feel the pressure with writing a female superhero movie.

I think Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel face the same damned if they do and damned if they don't predicament.

If they don't address certain issues that come with a female superhero they will get heat from some people and if they do address certain issues they will get heat from others.

When it comes to women superheroes there is some expectation that the movies have to more than just entertainment and the characters have to use their representation to tackle sexism/misogyny.

You ain't lying. Even Jessica Jones, Supergirl, and Agent Carter did it as well, though I think Supergirl laid it on a bit thick at times. Jessica Jones dealt with the issues of misogyny, sure, but they were handled with seriousness, and Agent Carter had to tackle it as well since it took place in the 1940s...even though Peggy more than deserved to be seen as an equal by her peers, given everything she'd done during World War II, but that's besides the point.

It is unfortunate that it's almost expected for a female superhero film or comic character to deal with being a woman. Like, can't the character just stand on their own and be a character first, a female second?

Or that there has to be a female villain or antagonist, like in Catwoman or the Helen Slater Supergirl film...and I honestly can't remember who the villain was in Elektra. Or anything about Elektra in general other than Jennifer Garner thinking and aiming.

I remember Jason Issacs getting killed in the first five minutes of Elektra. That is about all I remember.

You could argue that making a good movie with an interesting female character as the protagonist and in which nobody questions her value just because of her gender is, in itself, a pretty powerful statement against sexism.

It's exactly what DeConnick did in her series, after all. There never was one of those "but you're just a woman!" moments; both allies and enemies alike treated Carol in the same way as they would've treated a male hero. Well... with the sole exception of Rhodes, for obvious reasons. :o

So yeah, long story short, the movie could be pure escapism while still making a statement.

You could argue that making a good movie with an interesting female character as the protagonist and in which nobody questions her value just because of her gender is, in itself, a pretty powerful statement against sexism.

It's exactly what DeConnick did in her series, after all. There never was one of those "but you're just a woman!" moments; both allies and enemies alike treated Carol in the same way as they would've treated a male hero. Well... with the sole exception of Rhodes, for obvious reasons. :o

So yeah, long story short, the movie could be pure escapism while still making a statement.

True.

Acceptance is a statement in and of itself.

Saying that Carol Danvers does have a history of feminism so it wouldn't be out of character to address such issues in the movie version.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"