Captain Marvel General Discussion and Speculation - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care about her hair or hairstyle. Though has she ever not been blonde? I'm pretty sure they go blonde then. And since it's Captain Marvel I won't have to worry about the over-sexed Ms. Marvel outfit.

As long as they give me a well written, complex female character I'm happy. Female driven (superhero) movies don't fail because the lead(s) is a woman, they fail because they are bad movies. Not too much to ask is it?

There will be a lot of pressure on the film if Wonder Woman doesn't turn out well.

What's wrong with any of what she said? The humor part? The glass ceiling bit? Wanting something like that when she was younger?

this forced narrative of equality bothers me. forced diversity bothers me. just make a movie. I am not interested in forced agendas and politics in movies.

tumblr_n520wmXzca1r33kxeo1_250.gif

Anyway.

I want to create this symbol of strength and humour for women that I really wish I had had growing up.
So much yes to this. It's exactly what I wanted to hear. :awesome:

this forced narrative of equality bothers me. forced diversity bothers me. just make a movie. I am not interested in forced agendas and politics in movies.

Whatever floats your boat. Nobody is forcing anything. They are making a long overdue SH movie featuring a woman. Period. So is WB. Brie is expressing an opinion that it would have been nice if there had been more women in lead roles of this nature when she was growing up. The nerve of her. No wonder everyone hates her. :o

Forced.....yeah......right.

Brie has some misguided opinions about politics, but there's nothing wrong with what she said here.

except she didnt say any of that. I think you are trying to see issue with something that isnt there. She was simply expressing that she wishes there were films like this for her when she was a kid and theres nothing wrong with that. Based off your initial post, I expected to read some annoying overly feminist rhetoric

She was just saying she wishes she had a female superhero role model she could have looked up to whilst she was growing up. What about that is forcing a narrative?

Brie has some misguided opinions about politics, but there's nothing wrong with what she said here.

Well.....some people would say that YOU have misguided opinions about politics. It's all a matter of perspective, but, I agree, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with what she said. Some people will scream from the rooftops if someone even suggests that there is gender/racial/etc. inequality....which she didn't do and I do all the time.

I know you're politically pretty conservative and I'm totally cool with that (most of my family is too), but just because her or my opinions don't coincide with yours doesn't make us "misguided". Fair enough?

I wonder if Rhodey Rhodes will show up in her solo

What exactly is forced equality in any of this? The fact that Marvel girls will have a live-action heroine headlining a film? The fact that their primary goal is to make a good movie will inspiringirls all around the world? How many female-lled comic book movies will be there? Wonder Woman, Captain marvel and maybe Gotham Sirens although that's up int he air.

What exactly is your problem? Black fans have a chance seeing a black superhero headline a film with Black panther and it's a big deal. It's the samewithCaptain marvel. if you hate the completely reasonable things she says then maybe the problem is with you.

What exactly is forced equality in any of this? The fact that Marvel girls will have a live-action heroine headlining a film? The fact that their primary goal is to make a good movie will inspiringirls all around the world? How many female-lled comic book movies will be there? Wonder Woman, Captain marvel and maybe Gotham Sirens although that's up int he air.

What exactly is your problem? Black fans have a chance seeing a black superhero headline a film with Black panther and it's a big deal. It's the samewithCaptain marvel. if you hate the completely reasonable things she says then maybe the problem is with you.

:highfive:

Well.....some people would say that YOU have misguided opinions about politics. It's all a matter of perspective, but, I agree, there's absolutely NOTHING wrong with what she said. Some people will scream from the rooftops if someone even suggests that there is gender/racial/etc. inequality....which she didn't do and I do all the time.

I know you're politically pretty conservative and I'm totally cool with that (most of my family is too), but just because her or my opinions don't coincide with yours doesn't make us "misguided". Fair enough?

No, I'm pretty sure that I'm right about everything. :o

It can be a bit trying sometimes. I try correcting Ms. Larson on her political views, but my single insignificant posts are lost in a sea of thousands of fans idolizing her. It's hard to imagine how Hollywood celebrities even encounter opposing points of view.

I'm sure that I have one or two misguided opinions, sure. While I disagree with just about everything that the Dark Side of the Force believes, I can at understand why they would come to whatever conclusion that they come to. Honestly though, I don't understand Brie's politics. Brie is a very nice woman who means we'll. I'm just upset that my favorite actress does not share my world view. This should not be allowed.

Despite the emoji i believe you truly think your view is the right one which makes it part of the problem. You think that Brie is wrong. Forget politics and focus on her movies or her charity work. Gting upset on her political views is pointless.

Despite the emoji i believe you truly think your view is the right one which makes it part of the problem. You think that Brie is wrong. Forget politics and focus on her movies or her charity work. Gting upset on her political views is pointless.

I was being a bit sarcastic. But, believe it or not, there is such a thing called the truth. I don't think it's wrong to point out that some things are objectively true and others aren't.

No, I'm pretty sure that I'm right about everything. :o

It can be a bit trying sometimes. I try correcting Ms. Larson on her political views, but my single insignificant posts are lost in a sea of thousands of fans idolizing her. It's hard to imagine how Hollywood celebrities even encounter opposing points of view.

I'm sure that I have one or two misguided opinions, sure. While I disagree with just about everything that the Dark Side of the Force believes, I can at understand why they would come to whatever conclusion that they come to. Honestly though, I don't understand Brie's politics. Brie is a very nice woman who means we'll. I'm just upset that my favorite actress does not share my world view. This should not be allowed.

I'm sure Ms. Larson is a very bright woman who has come to different conclusions that you have and I'm also "quite" sure she's heard all of the arguments opposing her own political beliefs. I personally believe....ehhh....never mind.

Anyway. Brie is way cool IMO.

I think that, in most cases, we all believe our views are right. Most of us have done volunteer/charity work. Most of the people in my family consider themselves "conservative", but, almost to a person, conservative means "civil liberties" and, as such, they support marriage equality (for example) and feel that religion has NO role in our public life.

I was being a bit sarcastic. But, believe it or not, there is such a thing called the truth. I don't think it's wrong to point out that some things are objectively true and others aren't.

That, my friend, is a loaded statement and I have NO idea what you are talking about. Some will say that believing in the biblical "god" is the truth.

Does 1+ 1 = 2? Math, in and of itself, is a construct that allows us to explain observable phenomena. When our ideas about "math" don't work anymore, we come up with other ideas that explain what we observe. Take, for example, the concept of "i" in mathematics. It is that number, when you square it, gives you the number of -1. Try and wrap your head around that concept, but, without, "i", we wouldn't be able to solve a lot of very complicated problems we have addressed. Does that make "i" a "truth"? IMO, it does not. It simply allows us to address/explain issues that confront us. When those explanations don't work anymore (think Newton v Einstein explanations), we go on to "fix" those problems. Also, think about Roman Numerals....I is "1", V is "5" and you add or subtract by putting one in front of the other. I'm sure there were people who lived thousands of years ago who took that numerical system as "truth". Fortunately for us, there were others who thought differently.

Anyway, we both love the fact that Brie was cast and we're all good.

Sorry for the diatribe, but we need to think outside the box if we're going to move forward. Most of the time we're wrong, but there's always that one gem out there where the lightbulb goes off and we make huge leaps.

Brie seeing this as an umbrella to reach more people than her indie films isn't a bad thing. He wants to inspire and send some positive messages through her work. It's one of the reasons she accepted the job. The ratio of female vs male comic book movies is and probably will be 1/5. Wonder Woman and captain marvel should inspire because there might not be many more chances to come.

There is nothing wrong with providing a healthy role model while also making a good film. You can do both and i think marvel aims for both. Brie is an activist and they knew it when they casted her.

Brie seeing this as an umbrella to reach more people than her indie films isn't a bad thing. He wants to inspire and send some positive messages through her work. It's one of the reasons she accepted the job. The ratio of female vs male comic book movies is and probably will be 1/5. Wonder Woman and captain marvel should inspire because there might not be many more chances to come.

There is nothing wrong with providing a healthy role model while also making a good film. You can do both and i think marvel aims for both. Brie is an activist and they knew it when they casted her.

Bang. Dead on. :up:

I don't know her personally, but every indication I get is that Brie is a wonderful young woman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"