The Good Citizens of Metropolis: The Casting Thread

To be honest, Austin Stowell (like Jacob Elordi) looks and feels more appropriate for Bruce Wayne/Batman then he does Clark Kent/Superman.

He doesn't really fit the "big ole galoot" description that Gunn had for how he sees Superman, which doesn't indicate to me that we are going to get a chiseled Henry Cavill type, but more the All-Star Superman version.
As long as Bruce and Clark have their bromantic chemistry. :smirk:

I agree. And therefore…

giphy.webp

To be honest, Austin Stowell (like Jacob Elordi) looks and feels more appropriate for Bruce Wayne/Batman then he does Clark Kent/Superman.

He doesn't really fit the "big ole galoot" description that Gunn had for how he sees Superman, which doesn't indicate to me that we are going to get a chiseled Henry Cavill type, but more the All-Star Superman version.
This is what I've been saying for the longest time. But that's also why I think a Jacob Elordi-type is what Gunn will go for.

Less supermodel, and more corn-fed gentle giant

Thing is Elordi is also a model
Well, yeah. But they're different "types" of attractive. Elordi is more burly, square-jawed farm boy attractive, if that makes sense? Ehh

The actor Spencer House kinda fits the same mold
Spencer_House.jpg

I've never had any beef with the Matt Bomer fancasting for Supes, for the record. I do think he's officially aged out of contention, but I think once upon a time he could've been a great Supes. He's a great actor with an inherently warm/kind presence, which is the main prerequisite any Superman actor needs for me before we get into any other qualifications, imo.

And yes, Indigo, Brainiac 8, is female, but I've no interest in seeing Indigo adapted when we haven't seen OG Brainiac properly adapted for the big screen yet. I'd be fine with a female cast as the main Brainiac as well, though I think there are plenty of great male or female candidates for that one.

Sorry Chick, I don't know why I got the impression that you didn't like Bomer for the role, maybe I got him mixed up with Cavill.
Yeah sadly Bomer is aged out of the role, which is too bad because I still think he'd make a damn fine Superman or an older Dick Grayson.

FilmNerdJamie having a vision.

Austin Stowell is my guy. Known about him since his supporting turn in Whiplash, my favorite film of 2014.

Rewatched Bridge of Spies last fall and it just struck me outta nowhere, "THIS guy is Superman!"

Picking is more Jeff's guy. But he would absolutely work.

FilmNerdJamie having a vision.

EW9Z8WeWkAAOoWf.jpg

5U1A5769_Jake_Picking_V1.jpg

Still really liking Spencer House though.

Not sure how good of an actor he is, but I do quite like the look of this guy. Fits the idea of Gunn likely putting more emphasis on Clark as a Kansas farm boy.

I'll suggest Jeff Bridges as Jonathan and Glenn Close as Martha. Close obviously worked with Gunn on Guardians.
I love them both, but the Kents shouldn't be in their 70's, IMO. I'd cut casting for them off in the 50's, myself. They aren't kindly old grandparents, especially if we're doing a Clark in his early 20's.

Gunn has said a few times now that they are not limiting Superman to his twenties, he said he'd be younger than forty. Not saying that the Kents can't be younger, I'm on board with younger Kents as well.

Jake Pickering is an interesting choice, but he really does represent all of the problems and failures of casting Superman since Chris Reeve for the most part.

He is tall, handsome, and muscular, but like Welling he lacks talent, like Cavill he lacks charisma and presence on screen and like Routh he lacks the experience to carry it off.

I can't believe anyone watching "Hollywood" would see both him and Corenswet and decide he is the better choice.

Mario Robles is saying that Gunn has already met with an actor for Superman that has the next characteristics:
-Less than 6 foot.
-Has a very lean physique.
-Early 30s but extremely babyfaced.
-Not who you'd think for Superman at all and it has him even a bit skeptical.
-Blue eyes, black hair.
-Waaaay more reminiscent of the Earth One depiction of Superman.

Also doesn't want to mention the actor's name since he doesn't believe they'll actually get cast and it's just Gunn casting a very wide net.

My guesses are Logan Lerman or Cody Ferns. If so, I also doubt either of them will get the role but for Gunn to even be entertaining them might give us a direction as to which type of actors he's looking for. Choices like Nicholas Hoult, Jack O'Connell, Fionn Whitehead, Josh Hutcherson, etc. seem like they might be in the mix now.

Last edited:
I theorized that the Legion Of Superheroes were going to be in this movie... isn't Superboy one of the big things about that mythos? Maybe we are getting a Superboy in this story.

I definitely think they will build to superboy in a sequel. I could see Cadmus labs as the Easter egg

I theorized that the Legion Of Superheroes were going to be in this movie... isn't Superboy one of the big things about that mythos? Maybe we are getting a Superboy in this story.
Gunn explicitly said it's not going to be superboy.

Superman Legacy Won't Be Another Origin Story (collider.com)

Gunn pointed out that his Superman isn't Superboy—he's Superman, before going on to reveal:

"He's working. He's a reporter. He's at the Daily Planet. Again, we're coming into a world where superheroes exist and have existed. "

Gunn explicitly said it's not going to be superboy.

Superman Legacy Won't Be Another Origin Story (collider.com)

I don't mean in place of Superman or a younger Superman. I am talking about a possible Star Trek 2009 time travel type story with the Legion Of Superheroes playing a big role, and potentially two Clarks (one younger, one in his prime).

I read a post-crisis Superman/Legion crossover story a bit ago in one of the Man Of Steel hardcovers that had this exact type of storyline.upload_2023-3-24_18-8-19.png

I don't mean in place of Superman or a younger Superman. I am talking about a possible Star Trek 2009 time travel type story with the Legion Of Superheroes playing a big role, and potentially two Clarks (one younger, one in his prime).

I read a post-crisis Superman/Legion crossover story a bit ago in one of the Man Of Steel hardcovers that had this exact type of storyline.View attachment 63531
I don't think that's what they'll do but to your credit there is an issue of All-Star Superman that dealt with something similar.

I simultaneously like the idea of the Legion in the context of a young(er) Superman film and also think it’s probably too much to pile on without pulling focus.

Wouldn’t mind a hint or a tease of the Legion for future use, though.

Yeah I think including the legion in what seems to be a pretty personal movie seems like overkill. They need to establish this superman first imo. I think the legion should be teased in the booster gold series.

Yeah I think including the legion in what seems to be a pretty personal movie seems like overkill. They need to establish this superman first imo. I think the legion should be teased in the booster gold series.

My theory is that they are going to play a massive role in Superman's story in this movie. The title of Superman Legacy and James Gunn writing (and directing) this all indicates to me that this isn't going to be a standard "Superman vs. Villain Of The Week" or even a "Brainiac invades earth" type story. Its not going to be small scale I don't think.

Gunn has already explained the Legacy title is about him coming to terms with his parentage of two worlds and how that shapes him. The Legion idea is cool, but don't think that's where this is headed personally.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"