The Book of Boba Fett Chapter 3: The Streets of Mos Espa (Spoiler Discussion)

The bike chase was... awkward. But not because of the designs, it was just shot weirdly. I'm fine with space-Vespas. A lot of the discourse acts like everything on Tatooine shows up already dirty and beaten down. It's not like there's a ban on selling new speeders there. But give them a few months in the desert and they'll be rust buckets with the rest of them.

The bike chase was... awkward. But not because of the designs, it was just shot weirdly. I'm fine with space-Vespas. A lot of the discourse acts like everything on Tatooine shows up already dirty and beaten down. It's not like there's a ban on selling new speeders there. But give them a few months in the desert and they'll be rust buckets with the rest of them.
I watched it again, and I feel the biggest issue is it's a chase in a place not built for a chase. The small, compact streets, make it awkward.

I watched it again, and I feel the biggest issue is it's a chase in a place not built for a chase. The small, compact streets, make it awkward.
I'd say small and compact streets can actually make a chase scene more thrilling. There is less room for error. I think they just dropped the tension a few too many times to show easter eggs and shot it awkwardly like CaptainWagner says above.

I'd say small and compact streets can actually make a chase scene more thrilling. There is less room for error. I think they just dropped the tension a few too many times to show easter eggs and shot it awkwardly like CaptainWagner says above.
Thing is, we are talking about speeders, which never really get a chance to get up to speed. It's funny watching it, because the dude they are chasing is driving this very wide speeder and he's just constantly turning. Which makes sense considering where they are, but does nothing in terms of speed. Like imagine the T2 chase, but the truck is just turning every 5 seconds. Changes the dynamic quite a bit.

Episode three...

Sigh...

I'm feeling very torn here. I like the setting, the concept generally and the main characters in Shand and Fett with the coterie of supporting characters, Mighty Vespa Power Rangers excepted. (More on that later.)

It's just not coming together well for me. It is all strangely unfocused with these bits that don't seem to build up to anything. Peaky Binder/Boardwalk in space is kinda what I thought this would be or at least something done more compelling than so far.

I like seeing that Fett has to do more than just sit on a throne collecting tribute. It's still a job to wrangle your territory. You have day to day stuff like hearing requests from vassals and the like. And I like getting a clearer picture of what the political criminal landscape is, a bit hazy as it was. Still, Fett's motivations remain under wraps and he's way, way WAY too reactive. I expected him to apply a warrior's strategy to his approach to ruling the underworld but so far he just gets attacked, thinks about why and waits for the next one then FINALLY goes out to bust heads... It's not blowing up my skirt and Morrison and Wen are up to the challenge of doing something meatier and more engaging.

Now... These Vespas of Espa... I echo others already. Aesthetically they feel off on the original SW's planet. On Corscant or some more "central" Republic planet's city they would feel more at home. Also... Outside of "spunk" shown they weren't much in terms of characterization either. I get what they are about, showing Boba is capable of turning things into his favor. Instead of killing some young thugs and adding to violence in the streets he co-opts the group. He needs soldiers. These are however... Just not feeling them in this episode and no, I don't really care for the look, it feels slap dash as well as out of place in this setting.

Oh, also... There's zero excuse for how slowly and silly that chase was. None. And the reasoning that it's supposed to be awkward with vehicles that can quite reach top speed (floating vehicles at that, which should have made it more dynamic...) in tight corners doesn't pass the smell test for me.

Look at Bond doing it:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=skyfall+motorcycle+chase

Okay so... Boba's Tusken interlude ends in heartbreak but... I still don't know quite what to feel and now it's like they set that up JUST so Fett can make going to war against the Pykkes "Personal". I hope Fett's connection to the Tusken's isn't forgotten given the time already devoted to it, not least of which is that he's got the Duke Leto idea from DUNE in the back of his helmet... Who truly rules Tattooine? Civilization is restricted to these settlements and port cities scattered all over the planet. Outside those walls though? The Sand People rule. If Boba can see it he may have an army ready to do his bidding, he just has to find a way to make an alliance work.

Big BK smashing in on Fett was cool but you can see they are rushing to Vegeta that character already. Frankly I wonder why Boba has not been shown bringing in more muscle to his org? If there was anyplace for the group that Mando put into Republic prison to show up again this would be it.

The outstanding addition just from a vibing it aspect is of course Danny T. showing up as the new Rancor keeper. Building up Fett's crew is a must and this is a great and could be interesting addition. No complaints about any of that.

Since the first episode this has been a mixed bag and not because it has outright terrible parts but because it never sings and it feels like an unfocused story with some cool set pieces or character moments sprinkled but the whole has not left me with a lot to get hyped about.

My skirt is firmly covering my knees.

Just started bingeing the show. This episode was full of cringe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"