The Book of Boba Fett Chapter 5: The Return of Corporate Synergy (Spoiler Discussion)

This episode just remined me how much more enjoyable The Mandalorian is compared to Boba Fett.

Fans spent years wanting more Boba Fett and then they created the Din Djarin who stole Boba's thunder.
Not counting any of the pre-Disney or post-Disney expanded universe stories and only counting the films and series, Din Djarin is just a more compelling character than Boba Fett. At least right now. It's an unfair comparison because even though Boba has been around for over 40 years, we've still spent a lot more time with Din over two seasons of The Mandalorian compared to the less than 10 minutes of total screentime for Boba across the movies in addition to a handful of episodes of TCW, Mandalorian and now Book of Boba Fett where he's finally getting some real character development.

So regarding the Darksaber’s weight and how it gets heavier over time… is that the same with all lightsabers or is it just this one in particular?

I remember Lucas saying that the sabers were originally intended to be heavy and unwieldy but the prequels and recent sequels made them look like they weighed no more than a thin PVC pipe. So maybe it’s a return to his original concept? Or is this particular saber unique in that regard?

So regarding the Darksaber’s weight and how it gets heavier over time… is that the same with all lightsabers or is it just this one in particular?

I remember Lucas saying that the Sabres were originally intended to be heavy and unwieldy but the prequels and recent sequels made them look like they weighed no more than a thin PVC pipe. So maybe it’s a return to his original concept? Or is this particular sabre unique in that regard?
The darksaber is old tech, and thus weighs more. Kanan brings this up while training Sabine to wield it.

Ah, that makes sense. Cool. Thanks!
:up:

Lightsabers are not weightless, as Kanan explains in that scene. They are currents of energy. Not lightweight or easy to manage. Jedi and Force wielders are far more capable with them do to their connection to the Force and training.

:up:

Lightsabers are not weightless, as Kanan explains in that scene. They are currents of energy. Not lightweight or easy to manage. Jedi and Force wielders are far more capable with them do to their connection to the Force and training.

Yeah, that video is the first time I’ve ever really heard any characters explain how they work. It makes a lot of sense.

Yeah, that video is the first time I’ve ever really heard any characters explain how they work. It makes a lot of sense.
It's an awesome scene. One of my favorites. As a lightsaber fanatic, I gobble info like that up. Surprisingly the Jedi/Mando cross over stuff is where we have gotten most of our info on the matter. Even the TCW scene of younglings making their sabers is pretty barebones.

Both Mandalorian and Boba Fett have a candidate for cute character of the year.

The BD unit got me hyped too! Can't believe we got a Fallen Order reference in there.

Also, am I the only one who now feels that Mando is becoming much more popular than Boba Fett at this point?

He *absolutely* is more popular, I'd be willing to bet. Sure, it depends on exactly how you measure, but The Mandalorian zoomed up to "cultural icon" pretty soon after S1E1.

Oh, and sigh, I have to agree. This episode was a massive step up in quality, which is sad. I want to like BoBF, and its not *bad*, its just not as good as The Mandalorian.

Some other comments:

1. Part of me wonders- when the Armorer told Din the only way to achieve atonement, did she do so as just flat fact knowing it to be impossible? Or was a part of her going "Well, if any of us could do this. . ."?

2. While the whole scene with Peli Motto was long, honestly, it kind of sold me on how she stays in business. Not the engineering side, but the *sales pitch*.

3. Din going "Wait, that's what Jedi believe? That's nonsense!" was kind of hilariously awesome.

Not counting any of the pre-Disney or post-Disney expanded universe stories and only counting the films and series, Din Djarin is just a more compelling character than Boba Fett. At least right now. It's an unfair comparison because even though Boba has been around for over 40 years, we've still spent a lot more time with Din over two seasons of The Mandalorian compared to the less than 10 minutes of total screentime for Boba across the movies in addition to a handful of episodes of TCW, Mandalorian and now Book of Boba Fett where he's finally getting some real character development.

He *absolutely* is more popular, I'd be willing to bet. Sure, it depends on exactly how you measure, but The Mandalorian zoomed up to "cultural icon" pretty soon after S1E1.

Its a kinda of funny chicken & egg type situation.

Mando would not exist without the popularity and legend of Boba Fett

The Book of Boba Fett would not have existed without the success of Mando

The Galaxy and my Fandom are big enough for both of them.

Also i now want a scene of Boba riding his Rancor (like a bantha) next to Din riding a Mythosaur

While this hasn't been announced as a limited series like Obi-Wan or Ahsoka, I'm having a hard time imagining we're getting more than one book of Boba Fett after the responses to tonight's episode tbh. In general I think Boba might work better as a secondary character, but we'll see. :)

Well we shall see, who knows what they plan, with all these shows connected as well and if episodes like yesterday are anything to go by the name is almost irrelevant if they are willing to just show an entire episode with one of the other characters in a series instead.

Perhaps they plan like a Netflix Defenders cross over where three or four characters from their own show team up for a bigger threat, maybe not.

I want more Boba as the potential is there for him to be a main player with the crew he is putting together but we shall see how this series ends before being able to decide what could even be next for him or his story ends here.

So was the blacksmith calling out the same directions Kanan was in the clip? The two scenes seem similar.

b88c0ee07c898c86c1fdece6cb22067797ed305b.gifv

16e263853256a1d40fab8153dfe59fe30765d2e5.gifv

d943caa68b507bf5f5926da27b95daa51306c574.gifv

b3a13c66a21545e5e5c44af5915660f42d52ea5f.gifv

47b5ddd296cb1121bfafa6250974cec2880478c5.gifv

9e8a55d655a828d887e0137cfc05d6fc45c5d026.gifv

26c82e4b68d48b202aab57870dec7c19f2f35383.gifv
Pretty much what should have happened between Boba and that biker gang.

Its like they want to diminish Boba with this show. At every turn he's been a bumbling old man and weak and now they bring Din in being more ruthless and capable than him.

Well you have Din who Jon created and then you have Boba Fett who was a throwaway character when he was created. So I am guessing Jon just likes his character more than someone else's. Jon wrote both of these shows.

Well you have Din who Jon created and then you have Boba Fett who was a throwaway character when he was created. So I am guessing Jon just likes his character more than someone else's. Jon wrote both of these shows.

It does seem like that's the case. I dont hold it against him for caring more about Din, but I wish Boba wasn't suffering for it.

Not a fan of the retcon of the Blacksmith now saying Beskar is meant to be armor and not weapons. Guess she forgot that she used Beskar to make Din's gauntlet darts.

And Din shouldn't be wasting his time on winning the approval of 2 crazy cultists who are shunned by Mandalorian society. He is Mandalorian no matter what she says.

I also don't like that Jon is using he Mandalorian genocide to justify the The Way. The cult didn't survive because of any redeemable quality of The Way. They survived because they were a bunch of lunatics and exiled at the time by the sane Mandalorians. That's not a good reason to aspire to lunacy. Hopefully at some point he will kill the Blacksmith and the Heavy, and just make his own way.

Last edited:
Fair enough. I think this is the clan that raised him, not sure, so he can't help but seek their approval it is all he has known most of his life. They say this is the way, but for him it has been the only way. He is a child of a cult, the brainwash is deep rooted. He only now has been exposed to other ways and sees that there is more to Mandalorians. The title is apt because it shows all the different mandalorians. I do hope he becomes the one to unite Mandalore, he has become a really good character to follow every week. Jon really pulled of something by making his brand new character more interesting than Boba Fett.

Pretty much what should have happened between Boba and that biker gang.

Its like they want to diminish Boba with this show. At every turn he's been a bumbling old man and weak and now they bring Din in being more ruthless and capable than him.

Weird, Din Djarin shown to be struggling, even if eventually successful is him being a powerful bad ash. Boba Fett, shown to be struggling, even if eventually successful, is a weak old man.

Look, I love Din Djarin. However, when it comes to violence, the words that come to mind is "he is trying his best".

It does seem like that's the case. I dont hold it against him for caring more about Din, but I wish Boba wasn't suffering for it.

Not a fan of the retcon of the Blacksmith now saying Beskar is meant to be armor and not weapons. Guess she forgot that she used Beskar to make Din's gauntlet darts.

And Din shouldn't be wasting his time on winning the approval of 2 crazy cultists who are shunned by Mandalorian society. He is Mandalorian no matter what she says.

I also don't like that Jon is using he Mandalorian genocide to justify the The Way. The cult didn't survive because of any redeemable quality of The Way. They survived because they were a bunch of lunatics and exiled at the time by the sane Mandalorians. That's not a good reason to aspire to lunacy. Hopefully at some point he will kill the Blacksmith and the Heavy, and just make his own way.

Hypocrisy from a religous zealot, impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"