• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Christian Bale v.s. Michael Keaton

Status
Not open for further replies.
There have been moments as far back as the 1980s and 1970s that suggest Joker knows Bruce is Batman, but, and this is key; many believe that while he does have knowledge Joker would never actually go after Bruce. Joker's obsession is destroying Batman, not Bruce Wayne, and because of who Joker is he implicitly understands the duality between the two. To him killing or destroying the life of Bruce Wayne would be meaningless.

Source: In "Death in the Family" Joker acknowledges Bruce Wayne in such a way that indicates he's well aware he's Batman, and that Jason Todd (his ward) is Robin. Also, in Batman R.I.P and the subsequent Batman and Robin it seems almost stupid to assume he doesn't know, considering the storyline.

Batman 663
Joker: "Why be a disfigured outcast when I can be a notorious Crime God? Why be an orphaned boy when you can be a superhero?"

It is not explicitly in "Death in the Family." Towards the end, Joker does look at Bruce Wayne in a very funny manner but I always thought it was just Bruce taking things the wrong way. Joker was scanning the crowd and looking at everyone, not to exactly mean he knows Wayne is Batman. That comic always did raise a few issues with me though. Joker could definitely figure it out though. He kills Robin whose real name is Jason Todd who happened to be adopted by Bruce Wayne. In fact, I imagine a lot of people would have made that connection haha.

Can't speak on the recent stuff like Batman RIP. I'm currently going over all of the previous Batman comics from years ago, once I finish with things like that then I'll cover the newer stuff.

It is not explicitly in "Death in the Family." Towards the end, Joker does look at Bruce Wayne in a very funny manner but I always thought it was just Bruce taking things the wrong way. Joker was scanning the crowd and looking at everyone, not to exactly mean he knows Wayne is Batman. That comic always did raise a few issues with me though. Joker could definitely figure it out though. He kills Robin whose real name is Jason Todd who happened to be adopted by Bruce Wayne. In fact, I imagine a lot of people would have made that connection haha.

Can't speak on the recent stuff like Batman RIP. I'm currently going over all of the previous Batman comics from years ago, once I finish with things like that then I'll cover the newer stuff.
Batman RIP basically spells it out. It's hard to imagine given the circumstances, and that throwaway line, that Joker doesn't know by that point.

"Death in the Family" is up for debate. I don't know that the writer has ever commented one way or another on whether they were intentionally suggesting Joker did know or not. As you say though, it would be hard to not figure it out.

Bale's had the better writing/effects/movies.
Keaton had the better character. Bale did angry, Keaton did some detached intensity. I don't know if it's art, but I like it. Loved the Keaton Batman and I consider him the best actor/version of the character in live action to date.

I love both, but Bale gets it for me because he captures the drama and the deep rage behind Batman. Keaton didn't really approach that.

Keaton does a great job with the calmer, more mysterious Batman though, which is something I want to see more of from Bale. He's at least approached it, which is why he gets a slight nudge ahead. Otherwise I love them both on equal levels, for different reasons.

Bale is better as Bruce Wayne, although it's a tie as they were equally great as Batman.

Bale played the tougher Batman, while Keaton was just overall badass(he didn't have to growl; his whisper was scary enough...and the classic yellow and black emblem...that's the perfect Batman suit, imo).

Bale's Batman would fall to his death on these rooftops, and the tumbler would hae a hard time getting away from the cops.

Imdsa2.jpg

Keaton's Batman doesn't even hide and run from the cops, he doesn't gave a **** ' cause he'll hand them their asses.

Bale's Batman would fall to his death on these rooftops, and the tumbler would hae a hard time getting away from the cops.

Keaton's Batman doesn't even hide and run from the cops, he doesn't gave a **** ' cause he'll hand them their asses.
:dry:

Imdsa2.jpg

How many more threads are you going to post this picture in saying that Keatons bad ass and Bales **** because i thin k this is the third thread already ive seen this in?.....

As many as I need to, to convince all of you.

As many as I need to, to convince all of you.
Oh, I got it. You're joking! Yeah I see it now, you are posing as a ridiculous fanboy to show how much of a joke they are. I gotta say you had me there for a while. Funny stuff, man. :awesome:

I've heard it mentioned before but Michael Keaton is the only Bruce Wayne to ever get laid. That's why he wins.

Oh, I got it. You're joking! Yeah I see it now, you are posing as a ridiculous fanboy to show how much of a joke they are. I gotta say you had me there for a while. Funny stuff, man. :awesome:

No problem. :fhm:

I've always considered Keaton's Batman fully honed and trained as Batman, whilst Bale's still learning every trick of the trade.

Adam West :awesome:
best Batman ever!
adam_west.jpg

Looks more like the comicbook Batman to me.

West has the best Batman voice. EVER!

For me, the best thing about Bale's Batman is that he is so obviously a very disturbed individual... which makes sense to me... how could you become 'Batman' seriously, without being a bit mental.

He doesn't know how to be normal. Even looking at the way he tries to have a relationship with Rachel... well it shows how he's incapable of having real social relationships. Even his kisses are awkward, like a man who is trying to convey passion and love, but doesn't actually know how.

Keaton's Batman just seemed too normal. Even in the way he dealt with visiting the place his parents died... I felt no emotional termoil, no unresolved anger. He just looked like a guy who was grieving quite healthily. He has this air of calm tranquility about him... and it just never really sat right with me.

Bale (and of course Nolan) are the only reasons I like Batman so much now. Because he is so damaged, and so conflicted, and someone who is completely dependent on the hero they've created to give their life meaning.

Keaton's Batman could live without Batman. He wouldn't have any problem settling into a normal life. He could snuggle up to the girl and have a happily ever after.

Bale's Batman honestly wouldn't know how. And I think that's more realistic.

I mean we are dealing with a guy who's parents were shot in front of his eyes, and who never dealt with it even a little bit. Who has held onto that pain and anger and feelings of injustice and confusion for his entire life, so much so that he is driven to insanely drastic measures in order to gain some feeling of getting to the heart of the problem that took his parents from him.

As much as I liked Michael Keaton I think Christian Bale is the best.

For me, the best thing about Bale's Batman is that he is so obviously a very disturbed individual... which makes sense to me... how could you become 'Batman' seriously, without being a bit mental.

He doesn't know how to be normal. Even looking at the way he tries to have a relationship with Rachel... well it shows how he's incapable of having real social relationships. Even his kisses are awkward, like a man who is trying to convey passion and love, but doesn't actually know how.

Keaton's Batman just seemed too normal. Even in the way he dealt with visiting the place his parents died... I felt no emotional termoil, no unresolved anger. He just looked like a guy who was grieving quite healthily. He has this air of calm tranquility about him... and it just never really sat right with me.

Bale (and of course Nolan) are the only reasons I like Batman so much now. Because he is so damaged, and so conflicted, and someone who is completely dependent on the hero they've created to give their life meaning.

Keaton's Batman could live without Batman. He wouldn't have any problem settling into a normal life. He could snuggle up to the girl and have a happily ever after.

Bale's Batman honestly wouldn't know how. And I think that's more realistic.

I mean we are dealing with a guy who's parents were shot in front of his eyes, and who never dealt with it even a little bit. Who has held onto that pain and anger and feelings of injustice and confusion for his entire life, so much so that he is driven to insanely drastic measures in order to gain some feeling of getting to the heart of the problem that took his parents from him.

What is there so truly disturbed about Bale's Batman/Bruce Wayne?

He decides to set a line between him and criminals because logic tells him it wouldn't be good to become the same thing. He's lucid enough to create a convincing playboy persona and separate revenge from justice. He's lucid enough to recognize love in a completely normal woman and fight for it. Lucid enough to quit as Batman only when he found something truly better to replace him and protect the city.

He has normal relationships with Alfred and Fox and with Rachelm would be the same except that Batman is an obstacle - and not because he's so "disturbed" but merely because he's incompatible with a romantic relationship.

Keaton's Bruce/Batman can't even introduce himself without hesitating, can't stop distrusting people, can't create a double life because he simply doesn't know how normal people act so he could act like one, the only emotion his Batman knows is rage and that's why he reacts to criminals so viscerally - "you killed my parents in cold blood; I'll kill you in cold blood, I don't care about consequences or moral dilemmas" - he doesn't even know how to lie properly. He tried to quit as Batman because he thought that another screwed up person with duality issues could be his soul mate.

And well, we can't really compare how emotional both Bruces were when visiting their late parents because Bale never visited them.

Not saying than Bale's Bruce/Batman was completely sane but it seems to me that other than wearing a bat-suit, he has everything under control.

Another difference between Keaton's Bruce/Bats and Bale's Bruce/Bats is the former being portrayed as more isolated and alone. Other than Alfred, Keaton's isn't given any close, consistent allies. He basically has no working relationship with Gordon. While Bale's has Alfred, Gordon, Fox and Rachel as close indispensable allies and is briefly but significantly allied with and helped by Ducard and Dent.

While my favorite overall is Keaton's, I do prefer a Batman/Gordon team-up closer to what we got with Bale's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"