Christopher Nolan's Inception (Thread II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah there are a lot of funny ones I can't post. Sometimes I wish the mods would look the other way.
Meh, the TDK party posts at the Ohnotheydidn't Livejournal gossip blog were more epic, honestly.

And often completely random. (Heathus Christ, Senor Bale that led to taco gifs being flung every which way...:lmao: ) But that was part of their charm. :awesome:

The thing that really disappointed me about Inception was the musical score. Save for the last 10-15 minutes of the movie (which was beautifully married to the visuals), Zimmer's score annoyed me. Too much electronics and atmosphere; not enough harmony. I realize that Nolan likes his films to have more textural scores and let the actors do the rest -- but really, the best directors let the composers do their own thing and go all out. That, combined with superb acting, is even better.

One film music fan not only commented that Elliot Goldenthal could give the Nolan Bat-films the atmosphere the director wanted, but also give it that superheroic quality better. Not only do I agree with him, I think he could've done wonders with Inception's story and visuals.

Tarrantino must not be a great director. He doesn't even use composers and said to hate them.

I saw it a second time today. Still a great movie, and you need that second viewing. First time, you're just blown away by the pace of the narrative and all the thumping action. This time I could concentrate more on the Cobb arc. DiCaprio knocks it out of the park again, a very subtle and restrained performance. Pretty much the entire cast is excellent, but to me the standouts are Cillian Murphy (phenomenal actor, he makes the absolute most out of his part), Tom Hardy (very charismatic and funny) and Ken Watanabe who just has huge screen presence. The guy's a badass.

OK now I'm curious. What did you say? :hehe:
Just about why everytime somebody makes a joking remark towards nolan and these movies, NOlan fans feel like they've been punched in the stomach. RDJ didn't even say anything mean about Inception.

Just about why everytime somebody makes a joking remark towards nolan and these movies, NOlan fans feel like they've been punched in the stomach. RDJ didn't even say anything mean about Inception.
Yeah--he's basically just using Inception's hype to hype Avengers...Nothing really negative about it.

Saw it yesterday. Visual spectacular, amazing movie, amazing music, infinitely intelligent, so deep that I am sure I will have to see it at least twice to try and catch all the hints. The entire cast was spectacular. Not a horrible performance from a single person in the entire movie imo. Everyone was great.

9.8/10. Almost, almost a 10/10 but I just had a couple of complaints. My first was that all of the bullets that the subconscious agents were shooting only got one in Ken W. I would have also loved to see some awesome weapons besides the one grenade launcher and the awesome line about dreaming bigger darling. Oh, and the CGI of Leo and Ellen walking up a 90 degree angle looked fake in that one second.

Toy Story 3 still beats it for me, barely, but two amazing movies none the less. Nolan is amazing. After this movie, I have no doubts in the man. The man can pull off anything and something this complex proves that.

I am in the group that thinks that the entire movie was a dream. I think after the opening scene of him finding the old Asian guy then going into the double dream, I think he went back into a dream and that the entire movie was a dream, possibly even an inception to get him to get over his dead wife. His kids looked the exact same and were in the exact same pose as when he left them. Someone even said that they were wearing the exact same clothes...I would have to watch it again to see for myself. I think the top was still spinning at the end. That ending is perfect to keep people talking about the movie. But, I think if it was meant to close the movie and end it, the top would have stopped spinning. I think that final shot shows that he is in a dream.

It's obvious Nolan wanted to incite discussion. Someone earlier made a good point though, Cobb/Mal's totem never faltered in its endless spinning while it was in the dream world. It was very smooth. In the last shot, it's clearly wobbling and the screen cuts to black before we see what happens.

Damn, the first thread was retired already?

I agree. RDJ is a great jokester IMHO. :hehe:

It's obvious Nolan wanted to incite discussion. Someone earlier made a good point though, Cobb/Mal's totem never faltered in its endless spinning while it was in the dream world. It was very smooth. In the last shot, it's clearly wobbling and the screen cuts to black before we see what happens.
He never had it in real life, he found it and kept it in the dream world. She locked it away in limbo and he found it and took it out of the safe. I took it as Cobb's projection of Mal had ended and he moved on so her totem began to falter. The kids were wearing the same clothes apparently and they were in the exact same position as when he left them.

DiCaprio has been getting pretty pudgy lately...not really representative of the "Hollywood" look. :p

Cobb's top doesnt make sense. If Cobb is in someone else's dream, the dreamer will make the top fall, because that's what naturally happens. The top shouldnt spin endlessly in the dream world.

Cobb's top doesnt make sense. If Cobb is in someone else's dream, the dreamer will make the top fall, because that's what naturally happens. The top shouldnt spin endlessly in the dream world.
The movie explicitly says it doesn't fall in a dream.

So, it doesn't fall in a dream.

If you're the one sharing someone else's dream, that totem will be part of your subconscious. The dreamer can't control that.

Others design the dream world, not the people inside it. The totem is part of the subconscious to see if one is awake or asleep. It is something in your mind not the dreamer's or the architect. That is not controlled by them.

I really don't understand the arguement about the Totem. The Totem never spun that long before so I have to come to the conclusion that Cobb was still dreaming. It's the most logical conclusion.

If Nolan comes out and says that he wasn't dreaming than I'll believe him but the Totem didn't stop spinning so that equals dream. The "it was wobbly" arguement doesn't hold water to me.

I don't think that it mattered that he was dreaming. The point is he confronted his wife and got over his fears so it was in a way a happy ending.

The movie explicitly says it doesn't fall in a dream.

So, it doesn't fall in a dream.

If you're the one sharing someone else's dream, that totem will be part of your subconscious. The dreamer can't control that.
Others design the dream world, not the people inside it. The totem is part of the subconscious to see if one is awake or asleep. It is something in your mind not the dreamer's or the architect. That is not controlled by them.
So why did they keep their totems to themselves? If i remember correctly, Ariadne made a chess piece that cant slide and would fall if pushed in real life. When she would be in someone else's dream the dreamer would naturally assume that the piece would slide, thus giving away that its a dream.

Amirite?

I really don't understand the arguement about the Totem. The Totem never spun that long before so I have to come to the conclusion that Cobb was still dreaming. It's the most logical conclusion.

If Nolan comes out and says that he wasn't dreaming than I'll believe him but the Totem didn't stop spinning so that equals dream. The "it was wobbly" arguement doesn't hold water to me.

I don't think that it mattered that he was dreaming. The point is he confronted his wife and got over his fears so it was in a way a happy ending.
i hope Nolan is smart enough and never talks about the ending . never.

Well yeah, thats a better word.

And b I hope Nolan doesn't ever say anything about the film I was just saying that. I think that people are overthinking this film.

I saw that he has admitted it is an allegory for filmmaking and his own career. I like that he's admitting this aspect so people aren't left debating this part of it. The ambiguity about the plot should be debated, but the overall meaning of the film to Nolan should be known IMHO. Here's an article about it. Entertainment Weekly was able to squeeze some quotes out of Nolan regarding the filmmaking allegory:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/07/24/behind-the-scenes-of-inception-a-movie-about-movies%E2%80%94and-the-mind-of-its-maker/

So why did they keep their totems to themselves? If i remember correctly, Ariadne made a chess piece that cant slide and would fall if pushed in real life. When she would be in someone else's dream the dreamer would naturally assume that the piece would slide, thus giving away that its a dream.

Amirite?

I don't think one would assume that. And again its part of the subconscious, if you give it to someone else that does control the dream they may able to make it seem like reality or what not. It's something that is more connected to their mind, that anchors them. It can't be messed with.

Tarrantino must not be a great director. He doesn't even use composers and said to hate them.

That really doesn't make sense. I did hear he wanted Ennio Morricone to score Inglourious Basterds, but Morricone couldn't do it. It's equally frustrating when someone like Scorsese uses songs for Shutter Island, when an original score would be better.

Well yeah, thats a better word.

And b I hope Nolan doesn't ever say anything about the film I was just saying that. I think that people are overthinking this film.

Maybe some are "underthinking" it.

It does begin to wobble at the end, people can keep tops spinning for quite a while. There are still three possibilities, that is why it cuts out, he did not cut out when it started to wobble for the fun of it, he did it to create an ambiguous ending.

A. It is still in the dream world
B. It is in reality
C. It relates more to themes that maybe he is in a dream, but at the end it starts to become his reality, meaning reality is what you make of it.

And I have said this before as well, regardless that it is ambiguous yes there is one constant. Cobb is happy, Cobb is at peace, Cobb is home.

I saw that he has admitted it is an allegory for filmmaking and his own career. I like that he's admitting this aspect so people aren't left debating this part of it. The ambiguity about the plot should be debated, but the overall meaning of the film to Nolan should be known IMHO. Here's an article about it. Entertainment Weekly was able to squeeze some quotes out of Nolan regarding the filmmaking allegory:

http://popwatch.ew.com/2010/07/24/behind-the-scenes-of-inception-a-movie-about-movies%E2%80%94and-the-mind-of-its-maker/
Thanks man, that was a good read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back