Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 33

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because people hate it when beloved characters are replaced. Look at the Ghostbusters remake. Look at the current state of Marvel comics. It almost always fails.

Bruce Wayne is Batman. Clark Kent is Superman. Tony Stark is Iron Man. Somebody else in the same outfit is not.
Agree.

The way MCU has played out, I'm not sure there even are that many stories left for Captain Steve and Tony Man. After Cap's origin film, they jumped straight to the Winter Soldier. After that, they jumped straight into Civil War. What are they gonna do, Captain America: Serpent Society?

And yeah, MCU isn't beholden to source material and they can come up with new stuff. But what cool things are left to do with Steve? Movies have adressed his "man out of time" aspect and they have given him an arc from a loyal soldier to a nomad. Maybe they could do a story about him training new heroes and inspiring them, but you can use some of those themes in a Bucky Cap story.

I do think that making us cry our eyes red with a great death scene or two is a valid choice for Marvel.

Captain Steve and Tony Man

Thank you for this.

Sadly, I think you are completely right, even if I would eat up anything with the current Cap, even a Steve as NY cop arc or him training Diamondback and Jack Flag... Give me some Gruenwald!
Maybe one more movie with the Red Skull and the Cosmic Cube, Waid and Garney inspired?

Actually, replacements generally do very well, especially in comics, particularly if they're done well. Even Marvel NOW did very well critically and commercially for about five years before anyone was talking about its diversity ruining anything.

One of the things I preferred about DC comics back in the day is that they allowed (some of) their older characters to move on and have the next generation inherit the mantle in teams like Teen Titans, Justice Society and Infinity Inc. The idea of Hulk leaving behind a (ahem!) deposit on Sakaar, Beta Ray Bill picking up Mjolnir and Kate Bishop following in Clint's footsteps is much more exciting to me than, say, bringing in James Franco to do an RDJ impersonation. I'm hoping Feige won't be afraid to make some bold moves post Infinity War.

The way MCU has played out, I'm not sure there even are that many stories left for Captain Steve and Tony Man. After Cap's origin film, they jumped straight to the Winter Soldier. After that, they jumped straight into Civil War. What are they gonna do, Captain America: Serpent Society?

And yeah, MCU isn't beholden to source material and they can come up with new stuff. But what cool things are left to do with Steve? Movies have adressed his "man out of time" aspect and they have given him an arc from a loyal soldier to a nomad. Maybe they could do a story about him training new heroes and inspiring them, but you can use some of those themes in a Bucky Cap story.

I do think that making us cry our eyes red with a great death scene or two is a valid choice for Marvel.

Captain America has almost 80 years of stories to mine, while Iron Man has been around for over 50 years. There are plenty of stories to adapt from the comics or create within the MCU. Marvel will only lack ideas for their heroes if the company suddenly goes creatively bankrupt, which won't happen as long as Feige and his team are at the helm.

Cap and Iron Man are in different situations than say Superman and Batman where we've had 3 different Luthors and 3 different Jokers so far.

I would say that in film there is a difference between comics in how far you can push things, as each film needs to feel like the most important event in Steve/Tony's life for it to feel like it has merit. For the record though, after three solo films each, that is entirely still plausible. They achieved it every time with Cap (the Iron Man sequels are a different story).

But with that said, recasting those roles, especially Tony, may prove too challenging.

Captain America has almost 80 years of stories to mine, while Iron Man has been around for over 50 years. There are plenty of stories to adapt from the comics or create within the MCU. Marvel will only lack ideas for their heroes if the company suddenly goes creatively bankrupt, which won't happen as long as Feige and his team are at the helm.
Yeah, I don't get that criticism. There are more stories for the CB characters of old to mine and draw inspiration from than pretty much any other fictional characters.

Cap and Iron Man are in different situations than say Superman and Batman where we've had 3 different Luthors and 3 different Jokers so far.

Don't forget the two Catwomen, two Zods and two Two-Faces. :o

One hopes that Marvel never falls into the trap of reusing villains over and over and over again. But then that goes hand and hand in with the repeated reboots those many franchises have gone through. Lack of creativity also plays into it because the writers should be able to mine the histories of these characters to develop different villains. Joker is popular, Luthor much less so, but there are so many more interesting villains who could be used to better purpose.

Yeah, I don't get that criticism. There are more stories for the CB characters of old to mine and draw inspiration from than pretty much any other fictional characters.

Where Cap is concerned, there is so much more to his fictional life than his recent obsession with Bucky. His nearly 50-year friendship with Falcon was much more real and fleshed-out in the comics than it has been on screen. It's a shame that the easy chemistry between Evans and Mackie has been pushed into the background when it would have been wonderful to explore that relationship. Cap also has a bunch of villains who can be utilized in the future. The same can be said of Iron Man, who has a litany of girlfriends and business rivals to draw upon. So to say that Cap and Iron Man are played out with nowhere to go creatively doesn't make sense.

Where Cap is concerned, there is so much more to his fictional life than his recent obsession with Bucky. His nearly 50-year friendship with Falcon was much more real and fleshed-out in the comics than it has been on screen. It's a shame that the easy chemistry between Evans and Mackie has been pushed into the background when it would have been wonderful to explore that relationship. Cap also has a bunch of villains who can be utilized in the future. The same can be said of Iron Man, who has a litany of girlfriends and business rivals to draw upon. So to say that Cap and Iron Man are played out with nowhere to go creatively doesn't make sense.

I can only imagine someone who isn't a comic reader could think that. I read a tonne of Cap comics before even coming across Bucky. Like I read loads of X-comics without coming across Wolverine. There is so much good material (as well as bad material lol) in all these decades that doesn't exist to the same extent for most other non CB-based properties.

There's also the possibility of making something entirely original around an existing hero.

But how much of that material is movie worthy?

I have thought about it though, and I'm ready to admit that building a movie around Cap fighting against some kind of social issue could be really great. We haven't really seen Cap's interaction with everyman, so yeah, there is material left with the character.

I'd still appreciate a good death scene for now.

With the right writers there is endless possibilities for these characters. I would love to see a strictly WWll movie with Cap.

In other news. Affleck can’t catch a break.

Also Just read a Newsweek article about concerns with the JL cgi. Not a very good article but it did mention that the parademons look like black smudges. I was so focused at looking at the heroes that I did not notice this. Truth is, they do look like unrecognizable blobs with wings.

Is it the Weinstein thing? He said he had no prior knowledge. Rose McGowan called him a liar and said he told him about an incident years ago, and Affleck's response was something along the lines of "I told him to stop doing that."

What's happened now?

Hilarie Burton accuses Ben Affleck of groping her in 2003
https://pagesix.com/2017/10/11/hilarie-burton-accuses-ben-affleck-of-groping-her-in-2003/

He just now tweeted an apology.
aP0d6bG.jpg

That doesn't sound like somebody who can't catch a break. That sounds like a scumbag finally getting what's coming to him.

Anyone else read the meltdown on the Justice League Watchtower facebook page? It's hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"