Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope not, in my view, keep him as far away as possible. Wish WB had never brought him in.

Why's that?

I still plan to see JL, I'm too curious. Will probably see it saturday.

I'll most likely never watch it. I'll just do what I did with DOJ and look at the most interesting scenes online. That means I'll never be able to directly comment on the film's quality, but that's a small price to pay.

So do you guys think the DC films have done anything unrepairable?

Batman and Superman taking lives in the way that they have. As far as I'm concerned, these interpretations of the characters are tainted, and no amount of course correction (short of a retcon) can change that.

I think it's pretty telling that Whedon has worked on the film for the better part of an entire year but hasn't done any press for it. Either they didn't want to parade him about out of respect for Snyder or he doesn't care for the film and did what he could to salvage a project he never really believed in. They're probably both true.

Option #3, they didn't want him doing press with his own sex scandal still kind of fresh. Especially post-Weinstein.

Option #3, they didn't want him doing press with his own sex scandal still kind of fresh. Especially post-Weinstein.

Woah. Whedons thing isn't really a sex scandal is it? It's just a jerk who cheated on his wife right?

What Whedon is accused of is more nebulous than Affleck, who is on camera groping women yet still out there doing the press rounds. So I doubt that's the case.

What Whedon is accused of is more nebulous than Affleck, who is on camera groping women yet still out there doing the press rounds. So I doubt that's the case.

Both men are jerks, it was wise of WB of keeping them out of the press.

Affleck wasn't kept out of anything. He's been at the press conference, interviews and in photos.

Omg the infamous Snyder quote:

Edit: Holy **** I've never seen such a strong anti-Snyder thread on that sub :wow:

If JL grosses less than Thor Ragnarok then....

giphy.gif

Omg the infamous Snyder quote:

Edit: Holy **** I've never seen such a strong anti-Snyder thread on that sub :wow:

Do not forget this marvelous gem:

"I kinda came to the conclusion also that they couldn't really talk in their suits, um, with any credibility..."
"... more than 4 or 5 lines and you start to notice, like wait, these are two guys ... one guys dressed up like a bat and the other has a big red 'S' on his chest, and they're being super serious about how mad they are at each other..."

That explains one of the films biggest flaws, Batman and Superman not speaking to each other, which could have solved some of their problems. What a goof. I mean good lord we just saw Thor and Hulk have actual dialogue scenes together. There's taking yourself seriously and There's being an immature snob. If Nolan can put Batman and Joker in an interrogation room and have u completely engaged with it then don't tell me Batman and Superman can't speak seriously. No, it's just you can't do it.

I don't get it. He is self aware of how silly superheroes can be. Yet he still makes super po faced, serious superhero movies.

If JL grosses less than Thor Ragnarok then....

giphy.gif
Metacritic score for JL is at 49 now.
But it's not. It's not even close. It's thin, it's bland, it's inoffensive, it's nothing much at all. And that was the saddest thing about it walking out, that all the debates and argument that's surrounded the DC community for the last 4 years has been for nothing more than a forgettable action movie. It has its moments, but as a whole it's a lot of nothing.

How Sway? How did we get here?

Zack Snyder: [Superman] is the freaking […] biggest superhero on the planet. He’s the father of every superhero. [Deborah and I] were just talking about this – I’m like, really? Thor? Thor has a movie? [Laughter.] Really? I mean, come on. And there’s no Superman movie? This is, like, the world’s out of balance. It’s like, we’ve lost our minds here, people, come on.

Zack Snyder: "I kinda came to the conclusion also that they couldn't really talk in their suits, um, with any credibility..."
"... more than 4 or 5 lines and you start to notice, like wait, these are two guys ... one guys dressed up like a bat and the other has a big red 'S' on his chest, and they're being super serious about how mad they are at each other..."

Ah that's right...

Zaddy also warned the world of Cap films:

The average movie audience has seen — well, I can’t even count the amount of superhero movies. Fantastic Four, X-Men, Superman, Spider-Man. The Marvel universe has gone nuts; we’re going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we’re not careful. Thor, too! We’re on our second Hulk movie. And Iron Man — $300 million domestic box office on a second tier superhero!

we’re going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we’re not careful

The horror....

So is WB behind this conceal of RT score? Certainly smells like that, IMO.

Having seen Justice League, I can safely say it is not quite the disaster many are expecting. It is not a horrible movie by any stretch. But it is mediocre. It is the definition of banality in a lot of ways. The story, from even before Whedon coming on, but in its basic DNA and structure, is like a Saturday morning cartoon and there is no more depth to it than that. The villain is terrible. Like Maliketh levels of awful. And the cgi is an eye sore.

BUT it does have some good qualities. Mainly the cast. All of them are good to great in their roles. Wonder Woman is awesome. The Amazons despite the costume complaints actually were awesome in their one scene and have the best action sequence of the film. Ben Affleck is much better as Batman, and they get him right. The dynamics between all the team members are great. If this is almost all Whedon (and I believe it is), then it really saved the movie from being a dog. It is strangely lively and entertaining--like a cartoon--when it is about the Flash fanboying out about Batman, Batman and Wonder Woman flirting/arguing, and Aquaman being a bro. Also I liked how they brought back Superman in the sense that it was somewhat macabre in a fun way. I'm also torn on the presentation of Superman in the third act. He really is the Superman everyone wanted, and almost Christopher Reeve-esque at times. But it does not jive at all with how he was written and portrayed in the last two movies, so...?

And it was light. It was all so light. This is by far the lightest superhero movie of the last few years which is bizarre after how ponderous MOS and BvS were. But it says something about product control that they work better or go down easier like this.

Honestly, it's probably a worse movie than X-Men: Apocalypse and Avengers: Age of Ultron. But the novelty of seeing these DC characters interact and how pitch perfect the acting and writing was for those scenes gave it a freshness that made it fun. But it is definitely in the Apocalypse Age of Ultron area, which is to say it is the definition of mediocre.

I don't get how Age of Ultron can be put into the same sentence with Apocalypse.

there is zero reason for Steppenwolf to be CG in this.

Eh after Apocalypse. I don't blame them. But there is zero reason for him to look that awful or be written with less depth than a trading card profile.

This alone puts AOU over Apocalypse.

avengers%2BGIF.gif

vs.

tumblr_o27kt5xgNv1tnlixdo3_500.gif

This was the closest gif I can find.

Then again, team battles are not the X-Men movies specialty.

Talk about a stunning translation of flat comic book imagery to three dimensional cinema. Zaddy, take notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"