Cinematic Civil War:MCU vs DCCU - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 38

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somehow I doubt BvS added to the numbers. If anything, I think the one/two punch of that and Suicide Squad probably turned some off, at least initially.
Which explains the multiplier being so good.

The multiplier is a function of what the OW number was. The bigger the OW, the lower the multiplier tends to go. So its not some be-all end-all indicator. Also, Darth, hate to burst your bubble, but adjusted for inflation, WW is 12th in the all time list overall. And each of the Superman, Batman, Spiderman origin movies rank higher than WW adjusted for inflation.

1. How is it enough? You do realize stuff can adjust down right? Like Avatar would adjust down because of overseas numbers. :funny:

2. It is when you are trying to avoid what the actual numbers are. :funny:

You said Wonder Woman was not the #1 grossing origin movie of all time. It in fact is. Then your like, "but adjusted". Who said anything about adjusted, and how do adjusted numbers change what the actual numbers are? :funny:

Also, this is what that page says...

It only has an opening weekend adjusted number...

Again, you're bad at reading.
I said it's not the highest debut.
Well, really bad at reading, seeing that the adjusted domestic is at the top of the page.

I responded to you when you omitted "origin" movie.
No problem, typing error, it happens.
It remains it did not perform evenly domestic and overseas, confronted with the contemporary superheroes movies.
Mostly because overseas comparatively it was really not so well received as in the USA. That's a fact.
I have my theory why: it's a below average movie but it came at the right time. Sometimes overseas audiences reward crap (Transformers), doesn't mean we always have worst (or better for that matter) taste.
If nothing else dubbing and subbing elevated Gadot's performance.

The multiplier is a function of what the OW number was. The bigger the OW, the lower the multiplier tends to go. So its not some be-all end-all indicator. Also, Darth, hate to burst your bubble, but adjusted for inflation, WW is 12th in the all time list overall. And each of the Superman, Batman, Spiderman origin movies rank higher than WW adjusted for inflation.
Why are people bringing up inflation? To try and change the facts? :lmao:

Where are you getting these adjusted WW numbers? Because no one legit would do them, because its impossible to do. Go look at how many different numbers you find for Star Wars and Gone with the Wind, adjusted.

Coz unadjusted does not tell you how well a movie has done to compare across time. If you are going for unadjusted, you gotta compare it to movies that came out that year. You are the obsessed with proving something here. :) Wondy is 4th best as origin story and that holds up, given she is perhaps the 4th most popular super hero all time (recent popularity of MCU heroes notwithstanding).

Put it this way, adjusted BO is not the best indicator but neither is unadjusted. And adjusted for inflation is still a bit more closer in accuracy than fully unadjusted can be. Anyways I enjoyed WW for what it was. A good movie and I think its place in 2017 releases as well as overall CB movie lists of all time gives it its rightful place.

Again, you're bad at reading.
I said it's not the highest debut.
Well, really bad at reading, seeing that the adjusted domestic is at the top of the page.

I responded to you when you omitted "origin" movie.
No problem, typing error, it happens.
It remains it did not perform evenly domestic and overseas, confronted with the contemporary superheroes movies.
Mostly because overseas comparatively it was really not so well received as in the USA. That's a fact.
I have my theory why: it's a below average movie but it came at the right time. Sometimes overseas audiences reward crap (Transformers), doesn't mean we always have worst (or better for that matter) taste.
If nothing else dubbing and subbing elevated Gadot's performance.
But where is the adjusted WW number?

It made over 400m overseas. How is that bad? How many debuts from The MCU has made as much money as WW?

Again I ask. How is Wonder Woman not the highest grossing origin film? Because you said I was wrong.

Yeah, calling WW the highest grossing origin movie is factually correct. I am not arguing that part. :)

Coz unadjusted does not tell you how well a movie has done to compare across time. If you are going for unadjusted, you gotta compare it to movies that came out that year. You are the obsessed with proving something here. :) Wondy is 4th best as origin story and that holds up, given she is perhaps the 4th most popular super hero all time (recent popularity of MCU heroes notwithstanding).

Put it this way, adjusted BO is not the best indicator but neither is unadjusted. And adjusted for inflation is still a bit more closer in accuracy than fully unadjusted can be. Anyways I enjoyed WW for what it was. A good movie and I think its place in 2017 releases as well as overall CB movie lists of all time gives it its rightful place.
You do understand the obvious problem with adjusted numbers right? It artificially inflates older ticket prices (it does per run so something like Gone with the Wind is getting the same credit for inflation for runs in different decades), while not not accounting for piracy or the fact that less people in general go to the movies. Star Wars greatness came from the fact that it stood for so long as the #1.

And no, Wonder Woman is #1. Sorry.

What are you sorry about? I liked WW. :) And I dont think any of the other CB origin movies had multiple runs, so that point of yours is moot. Sorry.

You do understand the obvious problem with adjusted numbers right? It artificially inflates older ticket prices (it does per run so something like Gone with the Wind is getting the same credit for inflation for runs in different decades), while not not accounting for piracy or the fact that less people in general go to the movies. Star Wars greatness came from the fact that it stood for so long as the #1.

And no, Wonder Woman is #1. Sorry.

How is that a fact?

Guys it's okay. The world will go on regardless of which origin movie is number 1. It was a great year for CBMs. Let's celebrate that. Also we have a SW movie coming out that looks to be awesome. It's all good.

But where is the adjusted WW number?

It made over 400m overseas. How is that bad? How many debuts from The MCU has made as much money as WW?

Again I ask. How is Wonder Woman not the highest grossing origin film? Because you said I was wrong.

There is the domestic one, even without adjustin OV it is over 1 billion.
Adjusting OV it would become even more.

Never said it performed bad.
As other said though, Wondy is the 4th or 5th most famous hero historically (the big three, maybe Hulk).
Nobody can negate that the last 15 years of the genre laid the ground work for commercial success.
Had WW come out in 2002 it would not have had any chance to compete with Spider-Man. Let's be honest.

And again, that tangent was in response to your typo. As I said, it still is not the highest debut, notwithstanding that it's not a debut either.
Nor the highest origin, as honestbharani explained.

Besides, I have issues with the quality of it.
It could have made 3 billions, I personally still would have issues.
I was pointing out that its performance overseas stresses the insularity to the USA of its sky high praises.

There is the domestic one, even without adjustin OV it is over 1 billion.
Adjusting OV it would become even more.

Never said it performed bad.
As other said though, Wondy is the 4th or 5th most famous hero historically (the big three, maybe Hulk).
Nobody can negate that the last 15 years of the genre laid the ground work for commercial success.
Had WW come out in 2002 it would not have had any chance to compete with Spider-Man. Let's be honest.

And again, that tangent was in response to your typo. As I said, it still is not the highest debut, notwithstanding that it's not a debut either.
Nor the highest origin, as honestbharani explained.

Besides, I have issues with the quality of it.
It could have made 3 billions, I personally still would have issues.
I was pointing out that its performance overseas stresses the insularity to the USA of its sky high praises.
No it isn't because you don't know what the OS number would adjust to. Do you not get this? It can go down. A lot. You don't seem to understand this. Avatar would lose hundreds of millions adjusted for exchange rates now.

It is the highest grossing origin of all time. It is factual. Zod. :funny:

Who cares if it's highest-grossing or not. There's garbage that made a lot of money, the money it didn't deserve, and legitimately GREAT films that didn't earn ****.

It feels like some people like to wear their BO achievement medals. Oh, hey look, I'm a fan of the HIGHEST-GROSSING COMIC BOOK ORIGIN MOVIE OF ALLLLL TIME!

No it isn't because you don't know what the OS number would adjust to. Do you not get this? It can go down. A lot. You don't seem to understand this. Avatar would lose hundreds of millions adjusted for exchange rates now.

It is the highest grossing origin of all time. It is factual. Zod. :funny:

We were talking about inflation right now.
You do not seem to understand how discussion works.
Way to ignore everything else.

Is Civil War Black Panther's origin movie?
Yes it is, when being pedantic. See, that's why it is so inconsequential what you're saying.
Again, overseas WW did not do as well as domestically.
There are reasons and stuff, it has nothing to do with inflation and exchange rates.

To be clear, had Clinton won the presidency, I believe WW would have done more or less the same critically and economically.
Its success is a reaction to a long standing representation problem.
It came at a time where it would have been rewarded disproportionately anyway in America: in the end that's a good thing in relation to the more important issues at large in society.
Not so good for critical discussion on a comic book movies forum.

I need some answers...

Can anyone explain to me why is there a studio audience woo'ing at :30?
They were paid for it.

As for Batman; Buh BYE SECRET IDENITY.

She is not more well know then Superman, Batman, Spider-Man. And yet, still more.
agree about Supes, Bats and Spidey. But I dont think there is a 4th hero who is more popular than WW, at least before the MCU happened.
Transformers, Hulk, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (the last two are mostly 80s and 90s).

Who cares if it's highest-grossing or not. There's garbage that made a lot of money, the money it didn't deserve, and legitimately GREAT films that didn't earn ****.

It feels like some people like to wear their BO achievement medals. Oh, hey look, I'm a fan of the HIGHEST-GROSSING COMIC BOOK ORIGIN MOVIE OF ALLLLL TIME!

I know right

I swear some members on here don't come to discuss things, just argue with people

Wonder Woman's domestic gross is extremely impressive.

It may not be the best of time once you use whatever adjustment you want to use, but it's certainly impress and the best of recent origin movies.

In this case it's not a case of garbage earning bank. First of all it did well because of a multiplier so that's totally different. Second of all it didn't have a built in fanbase as most people had no idea what the story was. Third it had a genuine impact, for example wonder woman is a popular Halloween outfit, unlike transformers and avatar which smartasses always bring up as counterexamples.

Last edited:

Yes, there's a lot of that and "it's popular so clearly it was a good film". I've never really understood the point of trying to anchor your opinions about film in objective measurements. It just seems pointless and insecure.

I agree with whoever said that gross only really matters when comparing more recent films.

....Because lets not kid ourselves...there's no point in bragging about WW being the highest grossing origin film of all time when the only reason WW has that title is because they released STM, B89, and S-M in 1978/1989/2002 instead of 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"