• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Conan - Part 2

The 3D Blu Ray also has the 2D version also, plus the movie on dvd. And to the best of my understanding the 3D BR and dvd have the special feature while the regular BR does. And I'm mnot exactly sure about the dvd having special features.[/QUOTE]

It does have them.

Bought the DVD yesterday and watched it last night with my wife. I had seen it at the theater and really liked it, she hadn't been able to see it back then. She liked it a lot and thought that Momoa did a really good job. It was a little bloodier than she prefers, but said the action was good.

I'm glad to know that there are people besides me who enjoyed the new Conan movie. I'm not sure what people were expecting if they didn't like it...it's a Conan movie. Jason Momoa was excellent and it was a pretty good-looking movie.

Some of the effects work was a bit ropey but honestly, it's basically a modern B movie made with kind of an oldschool mentality, and there's a lot to love about that.

Okay, so I found the bluray at Walmart today. I saw two versions: 2d and 3d. Since I don't have a 3d tv, I just grabbed the 2d version. I just finished watching the movie and saw that there are no special features. At all. Not even commentary. But your link says that both bluray editions have features. What the Hell?

You got ripped off is what. Examine your packaging for what should be on the one you have. If its wrong you should return.

As others have said, the regular blu-ray does not have the bonus material. I was a bit unhappy about having to buy the 3D blu-ray (I have no intention of ever owning a 3D TV...the only glasses I want to wear while watching TV are the ones I wear to SEE) but really the price difference between the two-disc edition with the 3DBR and DVD, vs the single-disc BR, is about $5. Though I have no use for the 3DBR, DVD, or digital copy, I was willing to drop the extra $5 for the bonus material, especially considering how much extra (if useless) media I was getting at that price.

Problem is that Nispel is a mediocre director for mediocre movies.

Movie needed a real visionary.

Finally got to see it and thought it was pretty awesome. Low points were Rose M's voice and the stupid fake-ass cgi blood. What, can no one afford blood packs nowadays? Still, Momoa was badass and the costume and set design were excellent.

I'd love a sequel but won't hold my breath.

Yes, we need a sequel. I really hope this kicks off a next sword and sandal/barbarian/steve reeves type eave of movies. Even if just on dvd.

Yes, we need a sequel. I really hope this kicks off a next sword and sandal/barbarian/steve reeves type eave of movies. Even if just on dvd.

Well, speaking of dtv, if the Blu-Ray/dvd sales of CTB are strong, if not live-action, maybe we could get some animated Conan films. The strong video sales of The Incredible Hulk are what got us Hulk VS, and Planet Hulk. If not the already produced Red Nails, then another adaptation of Howard classic Conan tale would be great!

Speaking of animated Conan films has anybody heard anything at all about Red Nails? I was looking at my Conan: The Ultimate Guide to the World's Most Savage Barbarian book and saw a few of the character from the RNs film. And It got me to thinking if this book came out in 2006 and has what looks to be finish art from RNs then what happenend? It seems like there would be something out there about what's going on with RN but there is nothing that I know of.

Finally saw it.. went in with an open mind.. Fell asleep..!!

Watched this recently. I knew I was in for bad movie, but holy **** was it ****. :|

Thebumwhowalks said:
Just watched it, it was alright, it had some great action and Mamoa was a good Conan, it was about as good as Chronicles of Riddick I'd say.

No, it wasn't, CoR was a helluva lot better, only the first hour of Conan is watchable. The first hour is not too disimilar from some Conan tales.
what I will do with this movie in future is watch that first hour when i am a bit toasted, and hope that someday they do a version that does the character justice, like I used to do with the 89-97 Batman movies.

Last edited:
Anyone read the Official Playstation Magazine review of the movie?

No, I didn't even know that mag was still in print lol. What's it say?

Well, speaking of dtv, if the Blu-Ray/dvd sales of CTB are strong, if not live-action, maybe we could get some animated Conan films. The strong video sales of The Incredible Hulk are what got us Hulk VS, and Planet Hulk. If not the already produced Red Nails, then another adaptation of Howard classic Conan tale would be great!

Anyone know why they never released that animated Red Nails adaptation?

Just re-watch this. Man this was not a good movie. Parkour/Martial Arts fighting by a Barbarian? It was too stylized. Can't they just do a faithful adaption of one of Howard's Novels? Frost Giants Daughter? Tower of the Elephant? Queen of the Black Coast?

How long till they try again? 5 years? 10 years?

I think Conan can work as a Serial for HBO. 12 episode seasons, each based on one of Conan's short stories. This would be ideal for me. Thoughts?

Just re-watch this. Man this was not a good movie. Parkour/Martial Arts fighting by a Barbarian? It was too stylized. Can't they just do a faithful adaption of one of Howard's Novels? Frost Giants Daughter? Tower of the Elephant? Queen of the Black Coast?

I think Conan can work as a Serial for HBO. 12 episode seasons, each based on one of Conan's short stories. This would be ideal for me. Thoughts?

I'd watch that.

Got to see the movie again. Just as awesome as the theater.

Just get John Milius to blow the dust off his King Conan script and give Arnold the crown.

There is a script written for Conan 2, which of course will never be made now, but it was based on one of the REH stories, possibly 'A Witch Is Born'. I read about it ages ago, pretty sure that is the story they adapted.
They used a bit of that story in the Arnold movie, where he is left crucified in the desert by his enemies, and he bites a vulture in the neck.
One of the posters over at conan.com said he'd read the Conan 2 script, but I guess he got a copy from an inside source, but who knows, it could be floating about on the net somewhere.

One poster over there made a good point about this movie, that it doesn't have any sense of mystery in the tale. Which was always a large element of enjoyment in the REH tales, Conan stumbling into some supernatural situation and trying to figure out what the hell is going on...the new movie was just a series of fights basically, as he went on a revenge rampage.

Tv series is the way to go. I can't think of any movie that flopped so badly that got a tv series afterwards though, but at least there is the Milius/Arnold movie to hold as an example, which was a major hit back in the day. So they can see that the world can connect with audiences in a big way.
And as Roy Thomas said on the Conan doc on the dvd, back in the 70s Conan was selling as many comics as Spider-man and the Fantastic Four, done right, the character could be that kind of phenomenon again, except this time on the tv screen.
This movie was a rush job, which is a shame for Mamoa, as he did a good job portraying Conan.

There is a script written for Conan 2, which of course will never be made now, but it was based on one of the REH stories, possibly 'A Witch Is Born'. I read about it ages ago, pretty sure that is the story they adapted.
They used a bit of that story in the Arnold movie, where he is left crucified in the desert by his enemies, and he bites a vulture in the neck.
One of the posters over at conan.com said he'd read the Conan 2 script, but I guess he got a copy from an inside source, but who knows, it could be floating about on the net somewhere.

One poster over there made a good point about this movie, that it doesn't have any sense of mystery in the tale. Which was always a large element of enjoyment in the REH tales, Conan stumbling into some supernatural situation and trying to figure out what the hell is going on...the new movie was just a series of fights basically, as he went on a revenge rampage.

Tv series is the way to go. I can't think of any movie that flopped so badly that got a tv series afterwards though, but at least there is the Milius/Arnold movie to hold as an example, which was a major hit back in the day. So they can see that the world can connect with audiences in a big way.
And as Roy Thomas said on the Conan doc on the dvd, back in the 70s Conan was selling as many comics as Spider-man and the Fantastic Four, done right, the character could be that kind of phenomenon again, except this time on the tv screen.
This movie was a rush job, which is a shame for Mamoa, as he did a good job portraying Conan.

I agree. Conan was a straight up action flick.

To me this was a Conan pastiche in the style of a Michael Fleischer-written Conan comic or a John Maddox Roberts-written Conan novel. That's how this film works for me.

According to an article from Globe Newswire the rights for a sequal were not exercised and the Conan film rights have reverted back to CPI.

I don't even ask for a straight adaptation. Merely a Bond/Fleming-esque job of cherry-picking great elements and plot points from the literature and having them gel into new stories would work for me. If only Howard was treated with at least 1/10th of the respect and adoration as Fleming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"