Days of Future Past Could "The Cure" be the root cause of the mutant apocalypse?

Mr.M

Sidekick
Reaction score
I have been giving this some thought myself. Any suggestions? Some mention an assassination attempt in the past, as in the comic, but what escalation ensues that compels a certain character or group to fund and create giant death robots to kill all the mutants?

Magneto is defeated at the end of X-3. The cure is no longer imposed on mutants, but is something voluntary. Beast gets a promotion in the Oval Office. How can they explain or justify the Sentinel project to hunt everyone down? I am certainly not convinced that the war is over, but something must have happened to escalate these events. So what could this be?

Maybe mutants like Jean are too powerful and cannot be trusted. So the government wants to kill all these powerful mutants or try to cure them. So those mutants that do not register themselves to be either cured or supervised on a daily basis need to be hunted down. Could this provoke some kind of uprising? What about the mutants that wish to conform?

Or could it be genetics? Some Planet of the Apes scenario where the mutant gene breaks down and mutants become an endangered species. Or could this be an extension of the cure? The cure so radically alters the abilities of mutants that the problem can no longer be contained. Mutants become even more capricious and dangerous as a result. This could be an explanation for Rogues newly found powers. The only solution could be to kill the mutants affected by the cure, and anyone else exposed to it.

But how can you stop the evolutionary process if regular Homo sapiens continue to produce mutant off spring, and now hope to exterminate them with giant Death Robots? Doesn't make sense, unless these changes were induced by the cure and all mutants affected or otherwise must be irradicated as a result?

the-cure_zps4ac8ebf9.jpg

It could be.

The cure didn't work and the government invented Sentinels to hunt down the mutants.

but how wou;d it link with the first class cast in the seventies. Wouldn't the x-men just time travel back to before the cure and stop that from happening.

but how wou;d it link with the first class cast in the seventies. Wouldn't the x-men just time travel back to before the cure and stop that from happening.

Maybe Beast's own cure attempts are the first steps toward the government's final one.

I dunno though. The Cure could well work as the trigger for Sentinel times, but it's also more complicated than it needs to be. Singer may want to avoid a plot that relies so heavily on a previous film (especially TLS).

The cure was based off Leech, who was a boy in TLS. So he can't be in the 70's. Maybe his parents or something, albeit what a long shot that is. Maybe it's an attempt on Nixon's life. I just don't see how creating Sentinels solves the mutant problem if people keep producing mutant off spring. How to you contain something that is purely genetic? And why would you need to especially after the events of TLS where the conflict settled down for at least a while. That's why I think there must be some genetic basis for it.

Your applying logic to racism.The thing Is with sentinles It has always been them being being used to hunt down mutants.

My theory Is Peter dinklage's character who may or May not be Boliver trask was working on weapons for Nixon that can be used against mutants.He devolps plans for sentinles but technology In 1973 can't make those plans a reality.He originally was killed In brotherhood attack and In post Last Stand era they can finally make his plans for sentnles Into reality.

So you are going with Dinklage being responsible for the plans and the Brotherhood targeting him? If he's responsible, why wouldn't the X-Men just let Magneto finish the job, aside from the good heart Xavier has? If Dinklage is the Miles Dyson, then let Mystique be the Linda Hamilton.

Of course only to find out that the Sentinels were an inevitable fact of the future, which of course nullifies the entire point of this movie.

I'm hoping more what you said about Jean, let's face it, she pulverized pretty much every soldier that arrived at Alcatraz, so when the goverment stance on the cure went to voluntary, maybe it began working on a different strategy on how to deal with the mutant problem.

I have been giving this some thought myself. Any suggestions? Some mention an assassination attempt in the past, as in the comic, but what escalation ensues that compels a certain character or group to fund and create giant death robots to kill all the mutants?

Magneto is defeated at the end of X-3. The cure is no longer imposed on mutants, but is something voluntary. Beast gets a promotion in the Oval Office. How can they explain or justify the Sentinel project to hunt everyone down? I am certainly not convinced that the war is over, but something must have happened to escalate these events. So what could this be?

Maybe mutants like Jean are too powerful and cannot be trusted. So the government wants to kill all these powerful mutants or try to cure them. So those mutants that do not register themselves to be either cured or supervised on a daily basis need to be hunted down. Could this provoke some kind of uprising? What about the mutants that wish to conform?

Or could it be genetics? Some Planet of the Apes scenario where the mutant gene breaks down and mutants become an endangered species. Or could this be an extension of the cure? The cure so radically alters the abilities of mutants that the problem can no longer be contained. Mutants become even more capricious and dangerous as a result. This could be an explanation for Rogues newly found powers. The only solution could be to kill the mutants affected by the cure, and anyone else exposed to it.

But how can you stop the evolutionary process if regular Homo sapiens continue to produce mutant off spring, and now hope to exterminate them with giant Death Robots? Doesn't make sense, unless these changes were induced by the cure and all mutants affected or otherwise must be irradicated as a result?

The cure was imposed on mutants? I'm pretty sure it was voluntary with the exception of the cure guns that were used to fend off the terrorists attacking alcatraz.

Your applying logic to racism.The thing Is with sentinles It has always been them being being used to hunt down mutants.

My theory Is Peter dinklage's character who may or May not be Boliver trask was working on weapons for Nixon that can be used against mutants.He devolps plans for sentinles but technology In 1973 can't make those plans a reality.He originally was killed In brotherhood attack and In post Last Stand era they can finally make his plans for sentnles Into reality.

What plans could he really of had if the technology necessary was so limited? Right now I'm just imagining Dinklage drawing pictures of giant robots stomping on mutants on the back of his notebook ...40 years later someone stumbles across them and thinks "Great idea!!".

Plus X-Men 1 indicates the existence of mutants is a relatively new public issue. Why would someone in the 70s already be planning their eradication?

i-knew-it-o.gif

That being said, yes, I think the "cure" from The Last Stand is going to be HUGE in this.

The numerous deaths from TLS freaks the public out, urging them to "force" the cure on the mutants.

A few mutants (possibly the Brotherhood) gets pissed about it and go on a killing spree.

This leads to the creation of a special government division specializing in eradicating the "mutant threat" and ultimately the construction of the Sentinels.

This is all covered in a narration/flashback for the first 7-10 minutes of the film. It picks up with a battle between Wolverine, Kitty Pride, Bobby Drake, Colossus and maybe a couple other and a few Sentinels. Much like the Danger Room scene, but real, longer and more intense.

Bobby, maybe a couple others die in the battle, they panic and do the time travel thing.... pick up in the 1970s with Xavier and the school.

If the cure is this massive important thing then wouldn't it make more sense for the future!mutants to prevent the cure?

Even if the Sentinels get developed in the 70s and aren't used until post-X3, it makes no sense to prevent a technology but not the reason for the conflict.

So then why the 70's? The technology is over 40 years away, so what could have happened to serve as the linchpin for the Sentinel project? Maybe there is some Terminatoresque processing chip from the future or something. Or maybe some whimsical idea like Sentinels crops Dinklage's head as he forsees a growing mutant threat.

Maybe there is one future where the mutants win and replace humanity as the dominant species and another future where the Sentinels take over and mutants are pushed to the brink of extinction... with both future scenarios affecting the events in the present (in this case 1973).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"