Daredevil Daredevil General Discussion Thread - Part 8

I swear to Christ if he wears that black costume until the last episode...
I'm worried the show will keep Matt Murdock dead for most of it. I get that's part of the character that he does this from occasion to occasion, but it's not the only part. But Matt Murdock giving everything up only works if he has been Matt Murdock. He's been brooding in isolation since Season One. The lack of a costume can be fine in part, but it just feels like he's regressing.

I'm worried the show will keep Matt Murdock dead for most of it. I get that's part of the character that he does this from occasion to occasion, but it's not the only part. But Matt Murdock giving everything up only works if he has been Matt Murdock. He's been brooding in isolation since Season One. The lack of a costume can be fine in part, but it just feels like he's regressing.

I hope that they have Matt back in touch with at least Karen by the second episode, because they really need to give more focus to Matt's relationships with Karen and Foggy after those relationships faltered in the back half of season 2. (Matt and Karen's relationship especially, given that Karen's the more prominent supporting lead between her and Foggy, and I think the seeds were set in season 2 for this relationship to really be explored in season 3.)

I don't see it as regression, more like a natural progression from his point of view. In season 2, he tried balancing being Matt Murdock and Daredevil, and he failed. In The Defenders he tried only being Matt Murdock, and he failed. Now it looks like he will try only being Daredevil, but he will probably fail doing that too. It makes for quite the character arc as he's becoming more and more desperate, not knowing how to live. Maybe that's how he ends up being born again.
:sly:

I don't see it as regression, more like a natural progression from his point of view. In season 2, he tried balancing being Matt Murdock and Daredevil, and he failed. In The Defenders he tried only being Matt Murdock, and he failed. Now it looks like he will try only being Daredevil, but he will probably fail doing that too. It makes for quite the character arc as he's becoming more and more desperate, not knowing how to live. Maybe that's how he ends up being born again.
:sly:

I think what we want is for Matt to find a balance between his two lives instead of always constantly pivoting to these "either one or the other" extremes. Hopefully the writers have realized that the whole "my double life is actually an issue" thing is only interesting to a point, and downplay it so it doesn't feel repetitive.

This season is based on Born Again. This was a core struggle of Born Again, so it fits the story they're adapting.

I think what we want is for Matt to find a balance between his two lives instead of always constantly pivoting to these "either one or the other" extremes. Hopefully the writers have realized that the whole "my double life is actually an issue" thing is only interesting to a point, and downplay it so it doesn't feel repetitive.
I agree, and I think and hope that's where Matt will end up this season. He'll have to go down this dark path before he finally can find the life he needs. The night is darkest just before the dawn and all.

I agree, and I think and hope that's where Matt will end up this season. He'll have to go down this dark path before he finally can find the life he needs. The night is darkest just before the dawn and all.

And like I said above, I want Matt's relationships with Karen and Foggy to get all the attention they need after being neglected in season 2. After doing this whole "loner vigilante who must work alone," I hope that his experience teaming with Jessica, Danny and Luke in The Defenders has left Matt more willing to let Karen and Foggy in to his nightlife so he can properly investigate Fisk. I do feel Matt and Karen are being set up to become a dynamic duo in the professional and romantic sense for this round of investigating Fisk, and they better capitalize on it because that brief period of dating they had in season 2 with the rain kiss wouldn't make sense unless they were planning for Matt and Karen's relationship to get more deeply explored here in season 3.

I'm also waiting for them to kick off the marketing campaign for season 3. Netflix is probably gonna go all out on this one, unlike Iron Fist where they seemed to do just the barebones minimum.

I'm guessing that we'll start to see some more casting announcements be made over the next four weeks as we tick down the days to the Daredevil panel at NYCC. They haven't yet made official casting announcements to confirm the return of Stephen Rider as Blake Tower, Ayelet Zurer as Vanessa Mariana, Royce Johnson as Brett Mahoney, Peter McRobbie as Father Lantom, or Matt Gerald as Melvin Potter, just to name a few (Amy Rutberg and Geoffrey Cantor don't need these announcements since they've confirmed Marci Stahl and Mitchell Ellison as being in the season already). As for trailers, I think Daredevil will get two full-length trailers, same as Jessica Jones season 2 and Luke Cage season 2. Maybe they'll release one of them in the next week or two, and then the other will be played at NYCC. (We'll just have to watch the shows' Twitter pages for hints)

I kinda think the interview circuit will also heat up in a few weeks, though it also may not really kick off until after NYCC. I don't know how they'll play it, but somehow I think Charlie Cox and Deborah Ann Woll will be the most prominent faces on the promo tour; though admittedly, I'm just spitballing and it'll really be dependent on how much Marvel wants to keep under wraps until NYCC or even the release date. (I do hope we'll finally be able to hear those podcast interviews that Deborah Ann Woll's boyfriend EJ Scott did with Elden Henson and Vincent D'Onofrio back in the spring.)

This season is based on Born Again. This was a core struggle of Born Again, so it fits the story they're adapting.
Matt Murdock doesn't wear a costume at all in Born Again. He's just dressed as Matt Murdock.

Well, whether you count God and Country as part of Born Again is a debate (it's usually counted these days, but people didn't originally count it). But that's not the point. The point is he's talking about Matt Murdock having to die so Daredevil can live. That's not Born Again in the slightest. That's Fall From Grace.

Netflix Thailand accidentally revealed the release date as October 19th.

They posted it on there, so that ain't an accident, LOL!

I wonder if this is legit. I have not seen this trending yet, and big news like that not trending I find shocking.

If that is the date, I hope Netflix doesn't change it because of the leak. :csad:

If that is the date, I hope Netflix doesn't change it because of the leak. :csad:
I don't think it's that serious. I just don't understand why they don't just tell us the date officially already.

I don't think it's that serious. I just don't understand why they don't just tell us the date officially already.

I think that October 19th is still going to be the date. Netflix has nothing scheduled for that week. I think October 26th is likely to be Narcos. And November 2nd is already out because that's blocked for House of Cards.

First they have to know the date is set in stone and give leeway in case of an emergency so they can push it back without loosing face. Second is that it's part of a marketing strategy, deliberate release of information to gain anticipation. They review analytics, what else is coming out or being announced in order to maximize the hype. My guess is they want to wait until NYCC to make a big splash and say "By the way, it's out in two weeks. *mic drop*"

But they wouldn't change the release date just because it leaks, the only thing that happens is the guy who did it will get in trouble for fumbling the marketing plan.

tumblr_pfb8g07gfX1rw6hzpo1_1280.jpg

That’s pretty cool.

We got a teaser trailer last week (that was piggybacked onto the end of Iron Fist season 2). This week, we get a poster. Maybe next week, we'll get a full length trailer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"