Daredevil Daredevil General Discussion Thread - Part 8

Finally finished this. I had to watch it slow because I got my fianceé hooked on DD, which means I had to wait for her to be free to watch episodes.

Honestly, I put this up in the pantheon of comic book properties that elevate the genre. It's up there with TDK and Logan for me. Obviously in a different sense, as having 13 hours to tell a story is a very different beast as having 2.5. But this was just a very well rounded piece of television. Each character had a solid arc, even many of the tertiary supporting characters, the action raised the bar from the previous seasons, and it was by far the most evenly paced. Just damn good television.

As others have said, if they don't do a seaosn 4, I'll be bummed, but I'll also feel satisfied by how good these three season are together. As one very long story, they work very well, with S3 being the perfect crescendo and end to this version of the character if they need it to be. But I certainly hope we see more of it.

I dont get how one of best pieces made on television ever, lose 57% of viewership from S02 to S03. Are people stupid? Do they like watch crap? I mean legit question.

I dont get how one of best pieces made on television ever, lose 57% of viewership from S02 to S03. Are people stupid? Do they like watch crap? I mean legit question.

Are you talking about those clickbait articles citing that biased data from Jumpshot (a company you've probably never heard of before today)?

Don’t trust ScreenRant. They are nothing but click bait. I have every reason to be skeptical of the data they're citing because it's done by a third party that is not affiliated with Netflix.

The information they cite is also biased, because it only looks at data for within the United States, not the data for viewership worldwide. Also, this analytical company (Jumpshot) has a history of flip-floppy opinions. Last year, they reported Iron Fist was the least watched Marvel/Netflix show, only to later retract that and claim it was one of the most viewed shows. So I always take their data with a bit of skepticism.
'Iron Fist' premiere was the least-watched Marvel Netflix original to date. Here's why.

More People Watching 'Iron Fist' Than Fans Thought

My point is that Netflix doesn't release the raw data. This is a third party analytics company taking a sample size.

I cant possibly believe DD lost that many viewers unless Defenders REALLY turned people off of ALL of the Marvel shows going forward. I feel like DD's been getting really good buzz for this season.

I cant possibly believe DD lost that many viewers unless Defenders REALLY turned people off of ALL of the Marvel shows going forward. I feel like DD's been getting really good buzz for this season.

It has been getting good buzz. This is just some clickbait writers trying to find a story where there isn't one.

There was a noticeable difference in quality between seasons 2and 3, with 3 being much better. Couple that with the lackluster Luke Cage and the dreadful Iron Fist, I can see how people might give up on the Marvel shows altogether and never give DD season 3 a chance. :(

I am willing to bet that Dark Phoenix and NM (if it is released at all) will premiere on Netflix.
Just a hunch, I can see them as quid pro quo for Netflix letting go the Defenders characters streaming rights early.
This way new Daredevil seasons would add to the new content offered and all the MCU could be under one roof sooner than later.

It has been getting good buzz. This is just some clickbait writers trying to find a story where there isn't one.

Whether its true or not i think there ia one thing is undeniable, Netflix is seriously scaling back on the marketing of these shows and i think its a sign of them losing faith in it. They promoted DD s3 more than IF, LC and JJ but even then it paled in comparison to how they marketed the first two seasons.

I think Netflix is just moving onto doing more original programming they 100% own so makes sense they would promote them more. Daredevil wasn’t even on the main page when season 3 premiered.

I think they do a 2 hour movie and wrap it up. I don’t really care for another full season.

Can I be honest? I've been thinking about it and I'm actually ok with the show ending here and on a high note. I've become a cynical, jaded tv watcher and I've seen too many shows that were just superb in their first several seasons lose their luster and go down the gutter in their later ones.

Without spoiling it for those who havent seen it in this thread yet, I feel the way this season ends puts a nice cap on the series and it works as a nice little trilogy of stories about Matt Murdock. I feel like if they keep going, its inevitable that the perfect ending we got will be ruined and the show's quality won't reach that same peak again.

I would agree the series ends in a place where if that's it, it's a great ending. Much better and more logical a place to conclude than LC or IF did. But I am always for more DD, LOL!!!

I can't believe that this series has lost any viewers, to me, each season is better than the last. DDS3 was better than the first two IMO and they seem to be really hitting their stride. Why couldn't these guys make Defenders??

Saying Elektra was slightly lackluster is not sexist at all. I found her and the overall Hand/Elektra storyline to be season 2's weakest elements. That continued into Defenders, where Elektra was super boring. This version of Elektra I think is definitely a slight disappointment relative to her comic counterpart. In the Daredevil comics, the death of Elektra is among the best moments. In the show, I wasn't that invested. That says something.

I mean, compare Elektra to how season 3 of Daredevil was able to handle Ray Nadeem. Nadeem is such a tragic sympathetic character because his story is rooted in entirely realistic, human emotional stakes and his character is layered, complex and undergoes tremendous development over the course of the season as he's forced to make tough choices. It's helped by a consistently great performance from Jay Ali and also serves the overarching narrative well, serving as a means of illustrating Fisk's terrifying influence over the law. We see this same thing going on with Foggy this season, with his efforts to take down Fisk and his relationships with his family and with Marci.

Elektra, meanwhile, her story is rooted in some absolutely generic and nonsensical stuff about her "lifelong destiny as the Black Sky," which makes the stakes of her story and characterization entirely divorced from real-life concerns that can be related to. Elektra's main role in season 2 is as a plot device to give Matt motivation to fight the Hand, which could work if the Hand were interesting. But the Hand weren't, which was a big letdown for the show that had given us Fisk beforehand, and since then has also given us Dex. And Elodie Yung, while perfectly cast for the role, was given terrible writing that only seems to draw upon stereotypes and comic-book cliches. The more "human" aspects of Elektra's character, namely her relationship with Matt, are also portrayed with their own avalanche of cliched, clunky dialogue. I liked Elodie Yung, but Elektra's so tied to the dumpster-fire of The Hand that I hope her story was buried with the building that fell on her.

It could be because the 1st 3 episodes were quite slow. IMO the series picked up from the 4th episode (with the awesome prison fight) and after that it was a race to the finish. I have to say this is the best marvel tv series by far (across all platforms).

Agree with the above comment. The first three episodes are a slow burn... but as soon as the prison fight scene hits... the show shifts to full throttle and never lets up.

not to mention Netflix really isn't promoting this season much at all.. it wasn't released with a big header upon login, it wasn't even visible in the "new to netflix" scroll for me.. they buried it.

not to mention Netflix really isn't promoting this season much at all.. it wasn't released with a big header upon login, it wasn't even visible in the "new to netflix" scroll for me.. they buried it.

Well here's the thing: Netflix did release over 60 new titles in October alone. Compare that to the mere 4 titles that they released in March 2016, the month Daredevil season 2 came out.

With Netflix expanding their original programming library, the Marvel shows aren't necessarily their highest priority as far as marketing goes. Given the 60 titles that came out on Netflix during this past October, I'd bet the better majority of them were also under-marketed. Even so, the marketing for DDS3 was still a lot more visible than was given for the seasons of Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and Iron Fist that came out earlier this year. With the large amount of content Netflix is putting out, I think this abbreviated marketing schedule is going to be the new norm for a lot of Netflix's titles. This isn't limited to the Marvel shows: Kimmy Schmidt season 3 didn't get a lot of marketing. Nor did American Vandal season 2 or Castlevania season 2.

I liked S3, but not nearly as much as I enjoyed the previous seasons. Vincent D'Onofrio and Charlie Cox were brilliant again, but I have a real hard time liking Karen and always have. After finally finding out her backstory I found her even less sympathetic than before. I also find it hard to believe that Foggy and Matt would just be OK with what she did. Karen was far more likable when paired up with the Punisher in S2 and Punisher S1 than she has been in S1 and S3 of Daredevil.

Having said that everything else was brilliant. I loved Bullseye, he's a more well rounded bad guy rather than just a henchmen. It will be interesting to see how they bring him back and use him going forward. Daredevil has been and continues to be my favorite netflix Marvel show, followed by the Punisher and Jessica Jones S1 (I hated season 2).

Hopefully we'll get S4 and continue down this path, but I do think the Marvel films have far overshadowed the TV series, which has been the opposite for the DCEU films and TV shows. I think people would actually be more interested in the Netflix series if Marvel had stuck more MCU elements in there, and not just as novelties. I always picture these shows taking place between Avengers 1 and Age of Ultron, and we're still in that time frame. It would be nice to have them deal with Shield or some other universe building ideas.

I liked S3, but not nearly as much as I enjoyed the previous seasons. Vincent D'Onofrio and Charlie Cox were brilliant again, but I have a real hard time liking Karen and always have. After finally finding out her backstory I found her even less sympathetic than before. I also find it hard to believe that Foggy and Matt would just be OK with what she did. Karen was far more likable when paired up with the Punisher in S2 and Punisher S1 than she has been in S1 and S3 of Daredevil.

Having said that everything else was brilliant. I loved Bullseye, he's a more well rounded bad guy rather than just a henchmen. It will be interesting to see how they bring him back and use him going forward. Daredevil has been and continues to be my favorite netflix Marvel show, followed by the Punisher and Jessica Jones S1 (I hated season 2).

Hopefully we'll get S4 and continue down this path, but I do think the Marvel films have far overshadowed the TV series, which has been the opposite for the DCEU films and TV shows. I think people would actually be more interested in the Netflix series if Marvel had stuck more MCU elements in there, and not just as novelties. I always picture these shows taking place between Avengers 1 and Age of Ultron, and we're still in that time frame. It would be nice to have them deal with Shield or some other universe building ideas.

Strongly disagree. In my honest opinion, the only MCU film on par with DD is The Winter Soldier. Note this is coming from a huge MCU fan. But I have no problem admitting that the quality of DD Season 3 has far surpassed the MCU films. I'm stunned by how good it was.

Very much click-bait. Yeah all that's based on social media analytics. Make of it what you will.

I hate these third party analytics companies that obviously are out there to spin false narratives for clicks that put money into someone's pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"