Daredevil Daredevil General Discussion Thread - Part 8

Discussion in 'Past Marvel Series' started by Thread Manager, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Drizzle Penguin Silvia

The only way I see them being taken off Netflix is if Disney outright buys the streaming rights from them and puts them on Hulu/Disney+ if they put more adult content on the latter platform down the line. Although the more we see of Daredevil, Kingpin and any other Netflix characters introduced into the official MCU fold, the more interest will be generated in the Netflix shows by people who either didn't see them earlier or wanting to revisit them as we're currently seeing after Matt's appearance in NWH. Netflix may not be as quick to part with them for that reason.

Batgirl0202 and Slick like this.
  2. henzINNIT Registered

Damn he's such a good lawyer.

XtremelyBaneful and Spider-Fan like this.
  3. Batgirl0202 Registered

That is an excellent point.

If Netflix is gonna get a huge bump in ratings for each Marvel character that makes an appearance in the MCU, Disney will have to pry those shows out of their cold fingers haha...

Speaking of which, do the appearances of DD and Kingpin in MCU projects mean that the Netflix shows are now canon?

Drizzle likes this.
  4. Drizzle Penguin Silvia

It might be a bit early to tell yet whether the shows themselves are canon within the MCU or if they’re part of the multiverse.

Batgirl0202 likes this.
  5. kguillou Registered

I'm willing to bet Feige and co. are figuring all that out themselves in terms of what counts and what doesn't. I think ultimately they're going to leave it up to us. They won't directly contradict what happened on the Netflix shows but won't reference them either. I suspect when we next see Murdock and Fisk they will already have a vaguely established history together.

Drizzle and Batgirl0202 like this.
  6. Mike Murdock Registered

Everything I've heard is that Marvel Entertainment (i.e., Jeph Loeb) were genuinely surprised when the shows were canceled, which is why Luke Cage and Iron Fist ended without resolution. With Jessica Jones and Daredevil, the writing was more on the wall so they were able to get a conclusion (and, with Jessica Jones, you had the show runner leaving so she probably wanted a conclusion to her time with the character either way). Daredevil did have a post-credits stinger in the hopes of a new season, though. I'm sure the Punisher showrunners knew what was happening by that point, though.

Everyone has speculated that the shows were canceled because Netflix didn't like that DisneyPlus was coming out, so I think that's consistent with what Vincent D'Onofrio has said, unless I missed a specific comment.

Batgirl0202 likes this.
  7. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

Given that Fisk is outright superhuman now, its at least highly unlikely that they are more than loose canon. I mean, I suppose its theoretically possible that they might go "All that was canon, and Fisk got an explicit powerup in the years between", but that seems kind of iffy.

SPO2 Dalisay and Batgirl0202 like this.
  8. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Why? It's the Marvel universe. People become superhuman all the time.

Batgirl0202 likes this.
  9. OB12 Registered

And I don't even know that he has been powered up all that much and D'onofrio has said as much in interviews. Kingpin was definitely a heavy-hitter in Daredevil. I'd have to go back and watch the episode, but I remember when the Punisher meets him in prison, they open on a shot of Fisk benching some serious weight with relative ease. It is just that the scale of the Netflix shows are lower, so when we see these characters again in the MCU they are going to be a little embellished. I'd expect the same when we see Daredevil suit up.

#1684 OB12, Jan 25, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2022
    Batgirl0202 and Spider-Fan like this.
  10. henzINNIT Registered

Fisk was very strong in Daredevil. I don't think his Hawkeye antics sound that far removed.

11. KillerMcQueen Mortal-ish

His father's cufflinks also were present in Hawkeye (Kate flicks one of them to set off the trick arrows), that was a pretty direct callback to the Daredevil show.

Spider-Fan likes this.
  12. Holy Slapper Registered

Someone asked a Daredevil show question on Campea's show and he said he has not heard of one coming. But the really interesting part was that he said "I know something that you don't... And Rob does too." Pretty much everyone in the chat connected the dots that he was referring to the "person in a motion cap suit pic" that he was sent with the No Way Home pics. Which sounded like he'd be appearing in She-Hulk to the chat.

13. Batgirl0202 Registered

Definitely agree. It's important to remember that in the comics, Fisk wasn't just a big man. His power level was in the same neighborhood as Spider-Man and Luke Cage. I'd like to see him represented similarly in the MCU...

Speaking of Kingpin, am I the only one who preferred Michael Clarke Duncan's version over D'Onofrio's? Racebending aside, I thought Duncan was much scarier and physically intimidating as Fisk. He genuinely frightened me in DD '03. I can't say the same of D'Onofrio in the Netflix series...

14. Mike Murdock Registered

Michael Clarke Duncan didn't bash someone's skull in with a car door.

15. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

Yeah, MCD has nothing on D'Onofrio. Like, legit nothing lol

16. henzINNIT Registered

The legendary Michael Clarke Duncan was fun in a meh film. He certainly had the size and presence to be a great Kingpin, but he was not afforded the same opportunity as D'Onofrio.

SPO2 Dalisay likes this.
  17. DyeLorean will return

Yeah, no, Vincent D'Onofrio is one the best casting choices of a comic book character. It also helps that he had a lot more screen time than someone like Michael Clarke Duncan in a mediocre film. It really isn't fair to compare.

18. Drizzle Penguin Silvia

Literally everything in the Netflix series was an improvement over the DD movie, even the more positive elements like Duncan's Kingpin.

19. Batgirl0202 Registered

True. I had actually forgotten about that scene. It was pretty horrific...

Maybe it's because I was just a young'un n '03 but MCD scared the **** out of me. I'm not saying that D'Onofrio didn't make for a good Kingpin, but he didn't have the same effect on me. He brought just a tiny shade of camp to the role that neutered the character for me. I personally found MCD to be just a tad more......authentic.

Anyway it's all moot now. MCD is gone and D'Onofrio ain't going anywhere. Had he lived though, I would have liked to see more of MCD in this role.

antsman41 likes this.
  20. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

#1695 SirStrangefolk, Feb 11, 2022
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2022
    babykhris likes this.
  21. Slick Yup

Well damn I guess we’ll see.

22. henzINNIT Registered

I also checked, no warning for me. Annecdotal, but I had another show notify me that it was leaving Netflix only for the time to pass and the show remain there. Could be a bug of some sort.

Would be an interesting development if true though. I assumed those shows would remain there forever. Disney would have to buy them out or something, surely. They do have the money though.

23. babykhris Registered

I think Netflix didn’t want this news out yet….

24. SirStrangefolk Champion of Life

Are you in the US? I'm in Europe and apparently most if not all reports of this happening seem to be coming from either Europe or Latin America. Coincidentally those are also areas where Disney+ has Star integration for mature content, while in the US that's still split with Hulu for now. Could that have anything to do with it?

Holy Slapper likes this.
  25. Spider-Fan SHHFFL 2014/2019 Champion

This would negate the argument that using this continuity makes no sense cause it leads people to Netflix to watch these.

Looking more cannon everyday

Venom 1988 likes this.