Daredevil Daredevil General Discussion Thread - Part 8

Yeah I don’t think those Marvel shows are leaving Netflix because they are Netflix original’s. They co-produced and paid for them so I think they’ll be on Netflix forever. I’d be surprised if they would be taken off of the service.

I’m pretty sure Marvel is just gonna treat the Netflix-Verse as an alternate universe now.
The only way I see them being taken off Netflix is if Disney outright buys the streaming rights from them and puts them on Hulu/Disney+ if they put more adult content on the latter platform down the line. Although the more we see of Daredevil, Kingpin and any other Netflix characters introduced into the official MCU fold, the more interest will be generated in the Netflix shows by people who either didn't see them earlier or wanting to revisit them as we're currently seeing after Matt's appearance in NWH. Netflix may not be as quick to part with them for that reason.

The only way I see them being taken off Netflix is if Disney outright buys the streaming rights from them and puts them on Hulu/Disney+ if they put more adult content on the latter platform down the line. Although the more we see of Daredevil, Kingpin and any other Netflix characters introduced into the official MCU fold, the more interest will be generated in the Netflix shows by people who either didn't see them earlier or wanting to revisit them as we're currently seeing after Matt's appearance in NWH. Netflix may not be as quick to part with them for that reason.

That is an excellent point.

If Netflix is gonna get a huge bump in ratings for each Marvel character that makes an appearance in the MCU, Disney will have to pry those shows out of their cold fingers haha...

Speaking of which, do the appearances of DD and Kingpin in MCU projects mean that the Netflix shows are now canon?

If Netflix is gonna get a huge bump in ratings for each Marvel character that makes an appearance in the MCU, Disney will have to pry those shows out of their cold fingers haha...

Speaking of which, do the appearances of DD and Kingpin in MCU projects mean that the Netflix shows are now canon?
It might be a bit early to tell yet whether the shows themselves are canon within the MCU or if they’re part of the multiverse.

I'm willing to bet Feige and co. are figuring all that out themselves in terms of what counts and what doesn't. I think ultimately they're going to leave it up to us. They won't directly contradict what happened on the Netflix shows but won't reference them either. I suspect when we next see Murdock and Fisk they will already have a vaguely established history together.

So who's ultimate decision was it to cancel all the Netflix Marvel shows?

The article makes it sound like Netflix decided to axe all the Marvel shows on their own, which I highly doubt...
Everything I've heard is that Marvel Entertainment (i.e., Jeph Loeb) were genuinely surprised when the shows were canceled, which is why Luke Cage and Iron Fist ended without resolution. With Jessica Jones and Daredevil, the writing was more on the wall so they were able to get a conclusion (and, with Jessica Jones, you had the show runner leaving so she probably wanted a conclusion to her time with the character either way). Daredevil did have a post-credits stinger in the hopes of a new season, though. I'm sure the Punisher showrunners knew what was happening by that point, though.

Everyone has speculated that the shows were canceled because Netflix didn't like that DisneyPlus was coming out, so I think that's consistent with what Vincent D'Onofrio has said, unless I missed a specific comment.

Given that Fisk is outright superhuman now, its at least highly unlikely that they are more than loose canon. I mean, I suppose its theoretically possible that they might go "All that was canon, and Fisk got an explicit powerup in the years between", but that seems kind of iffy.

Given that Fisk is outright superhuman now, its at least highly unlikely that they are more than loose canon. I mean, I suppose its theoretically possible that they might go "All that was canon, and Fisk got an explicit powerup in the years between", but that seems kind of iffy.

Why? It's the Marvel universe. People become superhuman all the time.

Why? It's the Marvel universe. People become superhuman all the time.

And I don't even know that he has been powered up all that much and D'onofrio has said as much in interviews. Kingpin was definitely a heavy-hitter in Daredevil. I'd have to go back and watch the episode, but I remember when the Punisher meets him in prison, they open on a shot of Fisk benching some serious weight with relative ease. It is just that the scale of the Netflix shows are lower, so when we see these characters again in the MCU they are going to be a little embellished. I'd expect the same when we see Daredevil suit up.

Last edited:
Fisk was very strong in Daredevil. I don't think his Hawkeye antics sound that far removed.

His father's cufflinks also were present in Hawkeye (Kate flicks one of them to set off the trick arrows), that was a pretty direct callback to the Daredevil show.

Someone asked a Daredevil show question on Campea's show and he said he has not heard of one coming. But the really interesting part was that he said "I know something that you don't... And Rob does too." Pretty much everyone in the chat connected the dots that he was referring to the "person in a motion cap suit pic" that he was sent with the No Way Home pics. Which sounded like he'd be appearing in She-Hulk to the chat.

And I don't even know that he has been powered up all that much and D'onofrio has said as much in interviews. Kingpin was definitely a heavy-hitter in Daredevil. I'd have to go back and watch the episode, but I remember when the Punisher meets him in prison, they open on a shot of Fisk benching some serious weight with relative ease. It is just that the scale of the Netflix shows are lower, so when we see these characters again in the MCU they are going to be a little embellished. I'd expect the same when we see Daredevil suit up.

Definitely agree. It's important to remember that in the comics, Fisk wasn't just a big man. His power level was in the same neighborhood as Spider-Man and Luke Cage. I'd like to see him represented similarly in the MCU...

Speaking of Kingpin, am I the only one who preferred Michael Clarke Duncan's version over D'Onofrio's? Racebending aside, I thought Duncan was much scarier and physically intimidating as Fisk. He genuinely frightened me in DD '03. I can't say the same of D'Onofrio in the Netflix series...

Yeah, MCD has nothing on D'Onofrio. Like, legit nothing lol

The legendary Michael Clarke Duncan was fun in a meh film. He certainly had the size and presence to be a great Kingpin, but he was not afforded the same opportunity as D'Onofrio.

Yeah, no, Vincent D'Onofrio is one the best casting choices of a comic book character. It also helps that he had a lot more screen time than someone like Michael Clarke Duncan in a mediocre film. It really isn't fair to compare.

Literally everything in the Netflix series was an improvement over the DD movie, even the more positive elements like Duncan's Kingpin.

Michael Clarke Duncan didn't bash someone's skull in with a car door.

True. I had actually forgotten about that scene. It was pretty horrific...

Maybe it's because I was just a young'un n '03 but MCD scared the **** out of me. I'm not saying that D'Onofrio didn't make for a good Kingpin, but he didn't have the same effect on me. He brought just a tiny shade of camp to the role that neutered the character for me. I personally found MCD to be just a tad more......authentic.

Anyway it's all moot now. MCD is gone and D'Onofrio ain't going anywhere. Had he lived though, I would have liked to see more of MCD in this role.

Well damn I guess we’ll see.

I also checked, no warning for me. Annecdotal, but I had another show notify me that it was leaving Netflix only for the time to pass and the show remain there. Could be a bug of some sort.

Would be an interesting development if true though. I assumed those shows would remain there forever. Disney would have to buy them out or something, surely. They do have the money though.

I also checked, no warning for me. Annecdotal, but I had another show notify me that it was leaving Netflix only for the time to pass and the show remain there. Could be a bug of some sort.

Would be an interesting development if true though. I assumed those shows would remain there forever. Disney would have to buy them out or something, surely. They do have the money though.
Are you in the US? I'm in Europe and apparently most if not all reports of this happening seem to be coming from either Europe or Latin America. Coincidentally those are also areas where Disney+ has Star integration for mature content, while in the US that's still split with Hulu for now. Could that have anything to do with it?

This would negate the argument that using this continuity makes no sense cause it leads people to Netflix to watch these.

Looking more cannon everyday

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"