Daredevil reboot: official discussion thread - Part 3

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by Thread Manager, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Alexei Belyakov

Alexei Belyakov Well-Known Member

Yeah, its an odd deal that Marvel made with Sony, FOX, New Line & Lions Gate back in the late 90s.

I mean, the way some of the characters were distributed made absolutely no sense.

Like, FOX doesn't own Cable. WTF?

And how do you make a DD movie without Kingpin?

2. Dr Tactics

Dr Tactics Ill Brova

Yeah. Like said before (somewhere in a another thread) These producers seem as confused as the fans on where some of these character rights belong and they talk out their "arses" most of the time. I wish Disney would give full disclosure on who owns who/what per the licensing agreements and just stop all the conjecture. I can stand these Studios sometimes. Marvel Studios included:doh:

3. SoNicRaDiATioN

SoNicRaDiATioN Well-Known Member

Property rights are definitely murky in some instances. Arad seemed to dance around the issue after he mentioned it.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  4. The Overlord

The Overlord Well-Known Member

You mean Owl's first appearance in DD issue 3? I don't think that issue is meaty enough for a movie. Owl has seem to compelling in his own right, not just seem like a placeholder for a better crime boss villain down the road. The problem is Kingpin is a way better crime boss then Owl, Kingpin is far more intelligent, classy and intelligent then Owl is. Owl has come off as something other then a second rate crime boss if he is going to be the Big Bad of a movie.

5. Spider-Kurt!

Spider-Kurt! Well-Known Member

Movie or tv series,I could see the Kingpin "using" Daredevil to help eliminate the Owl and any other compeditors.

6. KangConquers

KangConquers Purple Kang, Purple Kang

[​IMG]

Am i the only one here who would dig Gladiator in this movie?

7. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

Nope. I would too, but I'd like him to be wearing his helmet. He looks more badass like that than his face uncovered.

8. KangConquers

I agree, I just felt that image perfectly conveys the level of brutality and psychosis of the character that I'd want to see on screen for Gladiator.

9. The Overlord

The Overlord Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Gladiator, but don't think he would work as the main villain of a movie, rather he should be a pawn for some bigger badder villain. That happens a lot in the comics, Gladiator gets coerced or manipulated by another villain. I think Gladiator is interesting character, but its good to pair him up another more outright evil villain who is pulling his strings.

10. Kahran Ramsus

Kahran Ramsus Well-Known Member

Greg Weisman said Fox had the rights, otherwise he would have used him instead of Tombstone in Spectacular Spider-Man.

11. SoNicRaDiATioN

SoNicRaDiATioN Well-Known Member

That's a good point.

Arad made the statement on the front page interview in July, but it didn't sound definitive.

12. KangConquers

I agree 100%.

13. Dark Raven

How about as the bigger, badder villain: Deathstalker.

[​IMG]

He and Gladiator often worked together, with Gladiator as his henchman. They both fought DD several times, and Man Thing even showed up. Since Marvel own Man Thing, they could now have them all feature in a recreation of that story.

[​IMG]

14. Kar

Kar Well-Known Member

I'd LOVE to see Jeffery Donovan play Matt. He's a very talented actor and I'm sure he could pull it off. Ben Affleck would be a great choice as director too but I doubt it would happen. I'm with everyone that thinks "Born Again" is the best route to go but maybe that should be saved for part 3.

Part 1 should focus on the basics. Young Matt gets blinded and found by Stick who trains him. I want there to be tension between Matt's dad and Stick as Jack doesn't want his son learning how to fight. Have Matt side with Stick and go off on a journey to train for several years. Stick could be training him to join his cabinet to battle the Hand, maybe (probably have Elektra train with him as well showcasing their love for each other). Years later Matt returns home and finds out his dad was killed and he feels guilty so he honors his dad and enters law school, leaving Stick and Elektra. He meets Foggy and fast forward to them as lawyers where he meets Karen Page. Matt then eventually feels compelled to use his skills to fight criminals that escape the legal system and he stumbles upon a mystery that involves the main villain (preferably a crime Lord like maybe The Owl or Hammerhead or maybe several). Urich can be around hunting down the masked Daredevil vigilante. I'd also like Urich to be on the case of the suspicious death of Jack Murdock, which at the end of the movie he presents Matt with a major clue he has that points to the Kingpin, setting up the second movie.

Second movie could be Kingpin starting an all out gang war as he's moving his way to the top. It could be a whole team of assassins from the Marvel Universe (yes, Bullseye and Elektra have to appear).

Part 3 is when "Born Again" should be adapted.

I want Donovan as Matt and John Goodman as Kingpin. Don't argue with me.

15. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

Donovan's kind of old for the role now. I think he'd be more suited for Deadpool at this point.

16. Dark Raven

Well certainly for the unmasked, scarred head, he has that same kind of crazy smile:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Spider-Kurt!

Spider-Kurt! Well-Known Member

I've always wantd to see this.

18. Artistsean

Artistsean Monkey Boy

I think they need to sort of focus on Daredevil being a ninja more. Maybe incorporate the ninja idea all through the movie and into his red costume. Instead of red leathery padding. Make him less like Batman and more like a blind ninja/lawyer.
    The current series is great at bringing characters for him to fight you wouldn't have expected. Like Spot, Klaw, Mole Man, Dr. Doom's henchmen, etc. Characters that have an odd and compatible combination with his powers and blindness. I'd like to see something like that, not just Kingpin or Elektra, or Bullseye again. Which the studios might be tempted to do.

19. Optimus_Prime_

Optimus_Prime_ Well-Known Member

Honestly, outside of maybe limiting the role in sequels, I don't think age is much of a factor for Deadpool. He doesn't really have a set "age" in the comics as far as I can tell.

20. TheVileOne

TheVileOne Well-Known Member

I mean Daredevil. Since Deadpool is mostly under a mask and it's a role that requires heavy make-up it wouldn't figure in as much as Matt Murdock so yes. That's why Donovan is one of my choices for Deadpool.

21. Steve Holt

Steve Holt STEVE HOLT!

lol he'd be better as Bullseye

22. Hunter Rider

Hunter Rider Ronin

If we don't worry about the size then Michael Chiklis for Kingpin.

23. Alexei Belyakov

Great choice & they could remediate the size issue by using the technology used on Xerxes in 300 to make him look big.

24. Bruce Malone

Bruce Malone Well-Known Member

To be honest i don't see anything amazing about chiklis as fisk. Isn't he supposed to be a very well refined intellectual? Chiklis plays the same character in every film, the east coast tough.

If you're already thinking of using effects to play the character why not go for a better suited actor at that point?

25. Alexei Belyakov

I think whoever plays him, just needs to be intimidating prior to the size enhancement.

Chiklis was fierce in The Shield at 5'6". Imagine him at 7 ft.