MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
problem is: he doesn't want to play an existing character, but an original villain. there are not many of those in the MCU so far

I know. The only movie I could see doing that is maybe the Ant-Man sequel.

I get that people want more representation and as soon as possible. really, I get that. Myself, I'm pretty desperate for a LGBT character in the MCU feeling a little left out.

There already are LBGT characters in the MCU.

Justin Hammer, Victoria Hand and the latest Inhumans character in Agent's Of Shield were LBGT characters.

Carrie-Anne Moss character Harper in Jessica Jones is also reportedly Lesbian or Bisexual.

problem is: he doesn't want to play an existing character, but an original villain. there are not many of those in the MCU so far
A lot of the movies just take the name and identifiers of existing characters and give them new backstories and motivations its not that much of a stretch.

I know. The only movie I could see doing that is maybe the Ant-Man sequel.
Maybe Captain Marvel or Inhumans.

There are thousands of Marvel villains. I'm sure they could cast Cranston as one and he wouldn't even know his character wasn't original.

Characters like Aldrich Killian and Darren Cross were not the most well known villains from the comics and were changed drastically different from their comic counterparts.

Justin Hammer, Victoria Hand and the latest Inhumans character in Agent's Of Shield were LBGT characters.

Carrie-Anne Moss character Harper in Jessica Jones is also reportedly Lesbian or Bisexual.
Jessica Jones is not out yet. So counting Joe and Hand (who was not stated to be LGBT afaicr, but it is assumed since her 616 counterpart is), let's say we have circa 1.5 LGBT persons on TV. that's 1.5 point, from which I'll reduce 1 point for that horrible, offending 'prison gay' jokes they made with Hammer.
So, so far, not a good record (and no lead character either)

Justin Hammer and Victoria Hand were LBGT?

Justin Hammer and Victoria Hand were LBGT?

Victoria Hand was supposed to be gay, but then they killed her off (which sucks since she's an awesome character). Justin Hammer took a male lover in prison.

Extremely happy Ant Man is getting a sequel and BP has been moved up. Black Panther during Black History month sounds great.

Don't have an issue with Captain Marvel being pushed back a few months. They were gonna have her in AoU, it's not like they don't wanna have her on screen. Great news all around, hopefully CW trailer is the next big thing to drop.

HMMM

Bleeding Cool is reporting INHUMANS has been scrapped due to infighting between the Film and TV divisions

make of that what you will

HMMM

Bleeding Cool is reporting INHUMANS has been scrapped due to infighting between the Film and TV divisions

make of that what you will
Looking at the article...once again, same author that's claiming the IW movies combined will be $1 billion budget, that Age of Ultron's $1.4 billion was seen as a failure and so on. Not to mention, he gets his facts wrong in his very first sentence
At New York Comic Con, it was announced that Marvel Studios would push back their first black solo lead and female solo lead films, Black Panther and Captain Marvel, to accommodate a new project, Ant Man And The Wasp.
BP was not pushed back, it was pulled forward.

Most of all though... this (and the IW budget rumor) came from something heard in a BAR of all places.

For now, I'm calling total B.S.

yeah true, Johnston's gotten some scoops over the years, but he's increasingly grasping at straws these days

and he's been the chief cheerleader for "Perlmutter got screwed by Feige" when everyone else thinks it's terrific news

yeah true, Johnston's gotten some scoops over the years, but he's increasingly grasping at straws these days

and he's been the chief cheerleader for "Perlmutter got screwed by Feige" when everyone else thinks it's terrific news

Pretty much. Bleeding Cool is so full of bias, antagonizing and click bait that it's difficult to tell when they actually have something.

To me, he's coming across as really bitter over the reorganization change.... which leads me to believe there might be some credence to the talk that the reorganization resulted in him losing whatever connections he had with the film side of Marvel and so now he's lashing out at the film side however he can.

Not to mention, this kind of directly contradicts what Feige just *very recently* said where the films will start referencing the tv shows. Plus, it seems Feige has always spoken extremely positively about Inhumans being first introduced on Agents of SHIELD before the film hits in a few years.

That's just my take on it

I'm calling BS on the latest Inhumans rumor since Feige has said he's a big fan of them and are key to opening other parts of the expanding MCU.

I think we can add this 'journalist' to whatever ignore piles Eh Maybe is on

Among all the Bleeding Cool rumors, the Inhumans one seems more plausible to me. Feige may be a fan of the property but the early head start by AoS is going to limit the studio creatively, and we all know Feige wants to stay in the driver's seat for the MCU. Among all of Marvel TV's efforts, AoS seems to be the biggest thorn in Marvel Studios' back, and it wouldn't be the first time the studio did something that totally derailed the direction of AoS (bringing down SHIELD in TWS). I can see Inhumans getting pushed later and allowing them some time to figure out the Phase 4 slate and how Inhumans fits into that, and also how much they'll be willing to retcon because of AoS.

Among all the Bleeding Cool rumors, the Inhumans one seems more plausible to me. Feige may be a fan of the property but the early head start by AoS is going to limit the studio creatively, and we all know Feige wants to stay in the driver's seat for the MCU. Among all of Marvel TV's efforts, AoS seems to be the biggest thorn in Marvel Studios' back, and it wouldn't be the first time the studio did something that totally derailed the direction of AoS (bringing down SHIELD in TWS). I can see Inhumans getting pushed later and allowing them some time to figure out the Phase 4 slate and how Inhumans fits into that, and also how much they'll be willing to retcon because of AoS.
I don't really see that as derailing the direction of AOS because (from what I recall) the creators of AOS went into work on the first season knowing full well what the outcome of TWS was going to be. Hard to derail something when that's the direction that it was on from the very beginning. The only hangup that AOS had was that they had to work it so that HYDRA wasn't mentioned until the time that everything would hit the fan in TWS.

I can see Inhumans getting pushed later and allowing them some time to figure out the Phase 4 slate and how Inhumans fits into that, and also how much they'll be willing to retcon because of AoS.
the problem with your theory is that the longer they wait, the more AoS theoratically has to build their Inhuman mythology and they more they would have to retcon.

Of course, the TV and the movie sections work together closely and both partners are fully aware were to go with the Inhumans

To me, he's coming across as really bitter over the reorganization change.... which leads me to believe there might be some credence to the talk that the reorganization resulted in him losing whatever connections he had with the film side of Marvel and so now he's lashing out at the film side however he can.

Not to mention, this kind of directly contradicts what Feige just *very recently* said where the films will start referencing the tv shows. Plus, it seems Feige has always spoken extremely positively about Inhumans being first introduced on Agents of SHIELD before the film hits in a few years.

That's just my take on it

I agree...after the "Disney thought AoU was a failure for making only $1.4b" and "The budget for IW will be $1b" rumors, I'm immensely skeptical of any MCU-related rumor from BC now. The BC article even gets other things wrong, the first sentence says Black Panther was pushed back yesterday when it was actually pushed forward.

(also wasn't it actually the movie side's idea to introduce the concept of Inhumans on AoS in the first place?)

I don't really see that as derailing the direction of AOS because (from what I recall) the creators of AOS went into work on the first season knowing full well what the outcome of TWS was going to be.

Can you show me where you read that? Not doubting you, but everything I've seen/heard seems to indicate that the showrunners weren't aware of TWS until maybe around the mid-season break.

the problem with your theory is that the longer they wait, the more AoS theoratically has to build their Inhuman mythology and they more they would have to retcon.

Or, AoS gets canceled between now and 2019, which is probably the most likely outcome.

Can you show me where you read that? Not doubting you, but everything I've seen/heard seems to indicate that the showrunners weren't aware of TWS until maybe around the mid-season break.
urmmm, that was stated multiple times around the time s1 wrapped

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"