MCU: The Marvel Cinematic Universe Official Discussion - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately, that same commitment hasn't translated to the films, which are seen my many more people. Women shouldn't have to "settle" for TV shows when the guys get BOTH films and TV. BTW, of the four Netflix shows, ONE is led by a woman.

Hey, a 1/4 is better than a 1/20. That's going to be the ratio of female lead superhero movies after Captain Marvel. That's pathetic.

Black Panther was pushed forward to a much less advantageous date, box office-wise. And why do I think Hope will play 2nd fiddle to Scott? Have you seen the leaked Sony e-mails? Have you seen the lack of Black Widow in the MCU marketing? Have Marvel given me any reason to give them the benefit of the doubt here? No. They haven't. They're gonna be 20 films into their franchise before giving us a lead female hero, despite half the world's population and 40% of their viewing audience being female. That's just sad.

So... Moving Captain Marvel back is bad... But moving BP forward is ALSO bad? He's a relatively unknown hero who can be done on a smaller budget (well, an Ant-Man budget). What is wrong with him being in a month where he'll have very little serious competition? Or are you trying to insinuate that Marvel is intentionally trying to sabotage their own movie because the character's black?

And again, it's only four damn months. They didn't cancel it. Captain Marvel was pushed back four months to make room for a film co-lead by a female character. This should have the feminists rejoicing. That's a 50% increase of chick titular heroes in phase 3.

I get that people want more representation and as soon as possible. really, I get that. Myself, I'm pretty desperate for a LGBT character in the MCU feeling a little left out.
BUT it is only a 4 month delay (which might have plot reasons) PLUS we're getting another movie co-lead by a woman. (also, Danvers is a pretty %&$% character anyway and Marvel dropped the ball a long time ago when they decided to make a Danvers movie instead of a Rambeau movie), so no, I think what happens in the CM threads right now is clearly an overreaction

Black Panther was pushed forward to a much less advantageous date, box office-wise.

While movie months undeniably still matter, they matter less. There have definitely been movies released in February recently that studios want to have success - The Kingsmen is the most obvious example. More importantly, movie-goers have shown a willingness to go to movies outside of movie season. We're having successes in late September and early March.

Yeah I just realized that. It feels like a condescending move, especially considering that they didn't need to move Captain Marvel.

Well, I could see the desire to keep it at three movies a year. Moving it prevents a fourth movie that year. Batman v. Superman is a March movie, so the date is less concerning than Black Panther's February date (which I still think will be fine).

Does anyone else think we might be going to a 4 movie/year schedule as early as 2018?

In both 2018 and 2019, it seems a little odd to have 3 films so tightly clustered in 4-5 month stretches while leaving the rest of the year empty. While it certainly isn't a given, I think they are trying to pull it off.

For example, could November 2018 see the Black Widow (feat. Snoop Dogg Hawkeye) movie everyone's been clamoring for? I'd much rather see those two characters in a (slightly lower budget, more mature) spy thriller than see them in the IW movies... where I'd kinda struggle to find a substantial role for their power-set.

Does anyone else think we might be going to a 4 movie/year schedule as early as 2018?

In both 2018 and 2019, it seems a little odd to have 3 films so tightly clustered in 4-5 month stretches while leaving the rest of the year empty. While it certainly isn't a given, I think they are trying to pull it off.

For example, could November 2018 see the Black Widow (feat. Snoop Dogg Hawkeye) movie everyone's been clamoring for? I'd much rather see those two characters in a (slightly lower budget, more mature) spy thriller than see them in the IW movies... where I'd kinda struggle to find a substantial role for their power-set.
I don't think so. 4 movies per year is maybe a little too much, both for the audience and the studio. also, for the fall and winter months we have AoS and AC for our MCU fix

I know people talk a lot about the bubble bursting, but I think four movies in a year could do it. I'm starting to get nervous with 7 coming out in 2016 alone.

^ Me too. I honestly would like to see a closure of the MCU at one point.

I was slightly hoping Marvel would take a breather after 2019 (Phase 3). Even though I would miss it dearly. I just don't want the films to burn out.
But we've had three films announced for 2020. So what three films are you all hoping for/expecting?

There's no reason to worry about BP's box office in February. Kings an did great in that time slot, and it was rated R.

Wasn't August a dead month for movies before as well? But they released Guardians in that slot and it was successful.

I suspect the perception of February being a dump month is gonna change. We have to see how it does of course, but the Deadpool trailer has a lot of people excited and reportedly, the studio loved the test screenings.

So it sounds like they're confident it'll do well despite being released in February, as opposed to the common practice of just dumping it out there because they know it'll bomb.

Oh absolutely. I'm happy with the future 3 movie per year myself. BTW your site rocks Flint! :up:

Thanks! I'm still getting my feet planted and finding my voice as a writer, but expect more in the months to come :up:

I think we may well get four MCU films per year starting 2019/2020. Three already scheduled Marvel releases, and one Sony release.

I also don't think Marvel Studios could do 4 films a year, at least not at the same quality. Even with Disney's backing, Marvel is still a single production company with a fairly small team of key decision makers. Such an output may be more palatable if the competitive field was more favorable, but with DC ramping up their cinematic universe and Fox refocusing efforts on their X-Men films, it'll get too crowded for 4 MCU films a year. Plus keep in mind they also have TV content too.

The problem is that, the studios brought this on themselves. If they hadn't had to be dragged kicking and screaming into doing even these baby steps, then people might be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt a bit more. But they didn't and so they don't get Marvel. Marvel has done many things well, and so gets the benefit of the doubt a lot of the time. This, is not one of them, their track record on this front is pretty dismal.

Hey, a 1/4 is better than a 1/20. That's going to be the ratio of female lead superhero movies after Captain Marvel. That's pathetic.

Yeah, that's my point. People's big defense is "well they get TV shows." And I'm saying that:

1. Women shouldn't to "settle" for just TV shows if the men don't have to as well. Women make up a huge % of the population after all.

2. While the TV side is doing better in that regard, it's still not terribly impressive overall.

So basically their big defense is not much of a defense.

I get that people want more representation and as soon as possible. really, I get that. Myself, I'm pretty desperate for a LGBT character in the MCU feeling a little left out.
BUT it is only a 4 month delay (which might have plot reasons) PLUS we're getting another movie co-lead by a woman. (also, Danvers is a pretty %&$% character anyway and Marvel dropped the ball a long time ago when they decided to make a Danvers movie instead of a Rambeau movie), so no, I think what happens in the CM threads right now is clearly an overreaction

I get that people want more representation and as soon as possible. really, I get that.

Assuming that it doesn't get moved again (which I cannot really say for sure at this point, it's happened twice already), it'll have been ELEVEN years and TWENTY movies before Marvel finally gets around to making ONE starring a female lead, ONE!! I'm sorry, but people are hardly being "unreasonable" here, given those facts. Hell I was still in high school when this whole MCU thing began, and I'll be near 30 before Marvel (maybe) finally gets around to this.

I get that people want more representation and as soon as possible. really, I get that.

Assuming that it doesn't get moved again (which I cannot really say for sure at this point, it's happened twice already), it'll have been ELEVEN years and TWENTY movies before Marvel finally gets around to making ONE starring a female lead, ONE!! I'm sorry, but people are hardly being "unreasonable" here, given those facts. Hell I was still in high school when this whole MCU thing began, and I'll be near 30 before Marvel (maybe) finally gets around to this.
completely ignoring that there is a female lead in Ant-Man and the Wasp, a female titular hero, since you were in high school in 2008 you are probably too young to remember female led superhero movies that were made before and were all critical and financial failures. sometimes you have to work long and hard and wait for the right circumstances to get movies made.
As George Harrison sang it way back in 1987:
'It's gonna take time.
A whole lot of precious time.
It's gonna take patience and time, mmm.
To do it, to do it, to do it, to do it, to do it
To do it right, child'
You don't want this to be the next Catwoman, Elektra or Supergirl

I think three films a year is ok.

Bryan Cranston wants to play a Marvel villain. Sign me up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"