Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Dat J. August Richards Thread

HE didn't reveal his role but this is the first time he's spoken about being in the pilot:
https://twitter.com/jaugustrichards/status/335202026298437632

I'm actually surprised they were able to keep his role in the pilot secret for so long. It looks like he's going to have a pretty big role in the first episode. When the news came out, I thought he must've filmed one scene, you know like the end of the episode on a sound stage with no one else there..like a villain reveal. I've got to give it up to the crew for keeping that hidden for as long as they did in the age of the internet.

Where was this?

His name was listed on a file as an associate of Banner, or something like that. I forget when it occurred in the film exactly, but it's on one of those files that flash by on the screen. Those things had some decent MCU ties, with mentions of Fury & the reveal that the sound weapon that the military used against the Hulk was Stark tech.

I'm actually surprised they were able to keep his role in the pilot secret for so long. It looks like he's going to have a pretty big role in the first episode. When the news came out, I thought he must've filmed one scene, you know like the end of the episode on a sound stage with no one else there..like a villain reveal. I've got to give it up to the crew for keeping that hidden for as long as they did in the age of the internet.

He must be reasonably known as a character. If he were really obscure like Chess Roberts (Olivia Munn) in IM2 then it's almost tantamount to being an original character and there wouldn't be much need for secrecy.

His name was listed on a file as an associate of Banner, or something like that. I forget when it occurred in the film exactly, but it's on one of those files that flash by on the screen. Those things had some decent MCU ties, with mentions of Fury & the reveal that the sound weapon that the military used against the Hulk was Stark tech.

Hmmm. I'll look for it next time I watch. It's a shame they couldn't get Rick in somehow. The Ang Lee movie had a perfect opportunity but for some reason they went with that Harper guy (WTF? Why not just call him Jones? It would not have mattered, he was a non-entity) and then TIH blew through the origin the credits.

Rick would make a great POV character for the MCU to be honest. Maybe if we get a Hulk 2 they can elaborate on the experiment or something.

I'm thinking a new character, Cherokeesam brought up a great point when that was first mentioned, that why keep it secret? But then I thought about the Chitauri in Avengers, which were also secret, not because they were some comics character - they were actually an original race with a comics name, but because they were important to the story... of course, this could be the exact same issue as the comics where it's an estabilshed character's name but they're not really much like them.

I just think it's a good policy to have some secrets. I mean, we're all desperate to see all these comic book properties but if we saw them all at once there would be no anticipation and we would loose interest so it's good to keep people guessing.

Uh....no, it isn't. Each Marvel bumper has a different selection of comic book panels flashing by in montage. Avengers had panels from Avenger comics; CATFA had panels from Cap comics; Thor from Thor, IM from IM, and so on. The one for "Agents of SHIELD" shows Rage, and it hasn't been used in any of the other movie trailers, afaik. I challenge you or anyone else to provide a link proving otherwise.

Generic Marvel logo

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n069iWUhJTw[/YT]

posted in 2010, includes the image of Rage getting punched at 5 seconds. I believe they have only done a few custom ones usually for ones not produced completely under Marvel.

I also have Netflix streaming, Checked Cap and Thor. They both have the same flipbook logo as the one above.

Last edited:
That's an... almost arbitrary list. He didn't take anything into account other than the guy is strong and black. Speed? Arm Thingie? Starts with M? Funny video, but not a good list.

IGN Interview with Producer Bell
IGN: And I’ve got to ask about J. August Richards…

Bell: Killed it! He’s so good. He’s so good, because we were looking for this character M-- I almost said his name. It’s not the one people are talking about.

[Editor's Note: Yes, it kind of sounded like Bell was about to say a name beginning with an M... but maybe he just made a strong "HMM" sound when he stopped himself! Ah, so much to ponder.]

IGN: He’s not! So I’m going to say Luke Cage, and you’re going to say...

Bell: I’m going to say that’s an interesting Marvel character, but no. But he came in and killed it. Honestly, we were looking for this part, and we just said, look, all our parts are open to all diversity. So the fact that we have a black dude who is awesome and it's J, was just because he was the best actor. It wasn’t like, “You know who…!”

That makes me think it's not a black character at all. Which widens the field considerably.

Last edited:
I'm thinking he might be a re-imagined version of Simon Williams. If he is, it might help extending the Vision backstory when/if he is introduced and lay the groundwork for a SW relationship, if the twins are also intro'ed during this show.

I hope it's not Simon Williams. If so, he looks far too reimagined. Where are the glowing ionic red eyes which are his trademark? Would've been cool if Williams were still originally an aggrieved industrialist burnt by Stark. Didn't Whedon say he wasn't interested in the Wonder Man character anyway?

Did he? I haven't read that.

I read an article talking about that interview, they only posted that second paragraph, which made me think he was made-for-TV, but now I'm confused again because he almost refers to him by name in the first paragraph, so clearly it is meant to be a secret.

If the "M" theory holds up, my money is on "Mar-Vell" (possibly through proxy, with JAR playing Rick Jones) or "Michael Korvac."

Korvac, Wonder Man. Interesting, interesting! Joss did express disinterest in Wonder Man pre-Avengers, but he'd be a great fit for a TV show with his ridiculous meandering storyline.

He's got an alien bug thing on his arm, he isn't Wonder Man. Unless it's not a bug thing.

Ugh just tell us, after a point speculation stops being fun. :down

He's got an alien bug thing on his arm, he isn't Wonder Man. Unless it's not a bug thing.

I remember that thing and it was like glowing yellow. Kind of thought he might be that other Power Man, the more recent one, whose whole body glows yellow

Once again, you can't make any such assumption. Just because Wonder Man doesn't get his powers from an alien bug in the comics, doesn't mean he might not get them from an alien bug *in the MCU.*

Once again, you can't make any such assumption. Just because Wonder Man doesn't get his powers from an alien bug in the comics, doesn't mean he might not get them from an alien bug *in the MCU.*

I get that they have changed things from book to movie before, but all things considered, thats still a pretty fair assumption

I feel pretty confident in saying so. If he turns out to be Simon Williams I'll eat my hat.

YIcEL9h.jpg

lol
deal
but you have to eat it uncooked and in one sitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"