DC to "Rebirth" in June - Part 2

I have to say I am not liking what Bendis has done to Superman and I really wish DC would take him off the books. I understand he his a huge name but I don't think he is right for Superman.

Agree on Bendis. I hope he turns it around but I’m not holding my breath. I feel like Tomasi knocking it out of the park in Detective shows the difference between him and Bendis. Tomasi gets his characters. He wrote Superman and Batman equally well and gets every nuance of what makes them who they are. Bendis feels like he shoe-horns the characters into the story he wants to tell.

Overall i like Bendis work but something feels off, the characters feel a bit too much OOC somehow.
I dont know, maybe a character were he has more room to experiment without losing the core of the characters would fit him better.

I don't know. I sound a bit like a broken record on here sometimes, but I absolutely love what Bendis is doing on the Superman books. A lot of the supporting characters all have that "Bendis-talk" vibe, but his characterization of Clark is spot-on for me. My only real complaint about both Superman and Action Comics is that the plot's moving a little too slowly. But the writing is otherwise on point for me.

Regarding Tomasi on Detective Comics, it still feels needlessly cranked to 11 on the melodrama scale. And much like with Heroes in Crisis, I have a hard time connecting to
characters dying
because the very concept in this genre is absurd.

I have to say I am not liking what Bendis has done to Superman and I really wish DC would take him off the books. I understand he his a huge name but I don't think he is right for Superman.

I agree. I don't think he is right for Superman, either.

If he has to be on the book, I wish we could at least have Action Comics from a different writer. It's kind of ridiculous. For instance, I've really dug Tom King's run with Batman, but I wouldn't want him on both Detective Comics and the main book. I like the contrast we currently get between the two.

I agree. I don't think he is right for Superman, either.

If he has to be on the book, I wish we could at least have Action Comics from a different writer. It's kind of ridiculous. For instance, I've really dug Tom King's run with Batman, but I wouldn't want him on both Detective Comics and the main book. I like the contrast we currently get between the two.
Agreed. I know he is a big name but he shouldn't have gotten both books. And although I don't mind the classic look I do wish they would've kept the Rebirth look.

Yes. This was perfect,

uyzgakh7tb137dgpndbj.png

Bendis Superman is incredible.

Aside from some decompression-- much more prevalent on Superman than Action Comics, which is clicking along nicely-- and one or two characters/story decisions*, Bendis has been a dream on this line and the best thing to happen to it since... I don't even know when.

He's got a genuine vision for not just Superman as a person, but his whole corner of the DCU and clearly loves him rather than thinking he needs to be stupidly reinvented in some way.

His voice for both Superman and Clark is so spot on, and the story of AC is ideal monthly work for him. That shouldn't be understated given just how rare that really is. He's got a fullness to him that rarely happens these days-- he's either too damn mopey and angry, or over-corrected to sappy and empty platitudes about hope. Whereas Bendis makes him incredibly positive, kind yet with a don't tug-on-my-cape attitude, and hint of lingering sadness in the back of his mind. It honestly feels like Bronze Age Superman successfully modernised (makes sense that Bendis cited some of that stuff early last year) without feeling like a deliberate, out-of-place throwback.

Not to mention building out the supporting cast and the city itself, while making sure they stay in true supporting roles, instead of bogging us down in it (the triangle era). Everything gets a personality and a fun and/or meaningful role, and it all revolves around the big guy, as it should. Hell, just the way he utilises his powers in this run so far, in big and small ways-- and they way the Invisible Mafia has developed ways to skirt him-- is unique in and of itself.

While Superman is too decompressed-- Superman #2 and to a lesser extent #6 were almost insulting in that regard-- for me, it's made up for just to get to listen/read Superman's inner thoughts, which don't appear in action.

Zaar is thus far, still pretty nothing. But that's made up for on the Action side of things with Goode/Red Cloud/the Invisible Mafia putting together something really fun.

And all this without acknowledging the best art talent Superman's had in year and years!

*The character/story stuff I mentioned-- Flash's voice is off sometimes (hardly a big deal considering how little he's in it. Lois's voice is off, particularly in #1004. That's a much bigger deal. I support the shaking up of the marriage-- I like the marriage and would protest them being broken up, but them being portrayed as so AVERAGE so often doesn't quite sit right with me. Superman, Lois and now Jon are each unique and special people with busy, strange lives. They all love each other, but I'm fascinated to see them go about their dynamic in a way more befitting of them (in spite of Clark's deepest wishes to replicate the RELATIVE normalcy of his childhood with Ma and Pa, that creates a nice bit of in-character tension). The problem with #1004 lay in the execution-- we were promised all would be revealed by then, but Lois was far too vague and acted too unilaterally, not to mention Clark was a bit of a pushover. We'll see how all that shakes out.

Soak it up, guys and girls, because this is the best we've had it in years.

As for the Tomasi/Gleason stuff--- Eh... It was a nice breath of fresh air because we were coming out of the messy end of the terrible New 52 era, and back into something that just FELT much more right by comparison. While the plots themselves were good for that first half of that run,the dialogue and overly perfect apple pie, we've always got the answers Brady Bunch dynamic and the "we're not from this reality" stuff really made that a bit of a chore. I was only inspired to read sporadically then, and dropped it entirely after Reborn, when the quality just went straight down the tubes (those July 4th road trip issues were painful, man). Tomasi has since said the double-shipping was straining him, and boy did it show. I'd hoped he might be rejuvenated for Detective Comics in the lead-up to the big #1000 issue, but so far the dialogue has been amateurish and cringe-worthy, and the plot itself is... okay, but trying a bit too hard (which I feel has been a bit of a running theme since way back on Court of the Owls).

Last edited:
Yes. This was perfect,

uyzgakh7tb137dgpndbj.png

I think this, like the DCEU suits, was a noble attempt. They each give me enough to think that someone could nail a trunkless version of the suit... But it just doesn't get there for me.

The real suit is still king.

If they were just going to
take Johnathan Kent away and age to the age of 17
. Then I wish they would've just let him join the Legion and have a new title with him fighting with them in the future. Once again I just wish they would take Bendis off this book but it is what it is.

. Then I wish they would've just let him join the Legion and have a new title with him fighting with them in the future. Once again I just wish they would take Bendis off this book but it is what it is.
Jonathan Kent has been one of my favorite characters introduced in the past decade. I hate what Bendis has done to him and Lois.

Yeah that is one awful plot point that i dont like at all.
There isnt a character in the past decade that is this universally liked like Jonathan Kent...and Bendis drops the ball so extremely with him.
I do like a lot of the story he does, but i absolutly dont like how he handles the "private" life of Clark and his family...that is bad work from him.

There are very strong rumors flying around that this is very much what is going to be happening, with Bendis launching a Legion Book some time in the late Spring/early Summer.

I’ll go ahead and say it: Tomasi is the best there is.
I'm inclined to agree. I just read DC #995 and I loved it. I think my heart skipped a best after Alfred opened the door and that final shot at the end was ❤❤❤

Bumping this thread back up.

Has anyone else been reading Kelly Sue DeConnick's Aquaman? I had a hard time getting into Abnett's run. Two issues into DeConnick's run and I'm completely on board. It certainly feels very old school fantasy, kind of like Abnett's, only here it feels much more effortless. There's a sense of scale that feels palpable throughout each issue. I also really enjoy the supporting cast. And the artwork is just fantastic.

Bumping this thread back up.

Has anyone else been reading Kelly Sue DeConnick's Aquaman? I had a hard time getting into Abnett's run. Two issues into DeConnick's run and I'm completely on board. It certainly feels very old school fantasy, kind of like Abnett's, only here it feels much more effortless. There's a sense of scale that feels palpable throughout each issue. I also really enjoy the supporting cast. And the artwork is just fantastic.

Yeah, i liked Abnetts run but i like the different feeling DeConnicks run so far has.
I dont know if its because of the change of setting, we did spent a lot of time in Atlantis afterall.

Cant believe that i enjoy Aquaman since the new 52 run almost completely...its really been a few great years for Aquaman...hope this continues.

I loved Abnetts run on Aquaman, it’s taking some work to get used to DeConnick but I like it ok so far I guess

Not sure if I've asked before, but has anyone been reading the Walmart DC books?

The most recent issue of the Superman book by Tom King has this incredible team up of Sgt. Rock and Superman and the Batman book by Bendis sees Batman and Green Lantern fight dinosaurs on Dinosaur Island.

Not for nothing, but these might be my two favorite books DC is putting out. Because the new stories are 12 pages, and they're not necessarily bound by continuity, King and Bendis are just kinda going balls to the wall and it works so well.

Its just unfortunate that for the time being, they're limited to a select amount of Walmart stores.

Um, I've never heard of these, but a Tom King Superman story? I must read this. Don't suppose there are digital versions anywhere?

Um, I've never heard of these, but a Tom King Superman story? I must read this. Don't suppose there are digital versions anywhere?

Unfortunately, there are no digital versions. It's strictly hard copies limited to Walmart. While there has been no official announcement, I expect the issues to be collected after the story is complete. They're 12 part stories.

Unfortunately, there are no digital versions. It's strictly hard copies limited to Walmart. While there has been no official announcement, I expect the issues to be collected after the story is complete. They're 12 part stories.
And my Wal-Mart doesn't even carry comics.

Are the Walmart comics a bit more for kids or nah?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"