Deadpool 2 Deadpool 2 News and Discussion - Part 3

I hope it is called Deadpool 2: The Snyder Cut

MraNZTO.gif

The writers discuss one of the most controversial aspects of the film. *SPOILERS*

Deadpool 2 Writers Defend Treatment of Female Characters:

Screenwriters Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick, who co-wrote the script alongside Ryan Reynolds, admit that they could have been more cognizant about those story decisions. When asked whether they worried about being criticized for fridging Cable’s family and Vanessa, Reese tells Vulture, “I would say no, we didn’t even think about it. And that was maybe our mistake, not to think about it. But it didn’t really even occur to us.” Indeed, they weren’t aware of this genre of criticism. “We didn’t know what fridging was,” Reese says.

It didn’t have to be this way. There was a road not traveled, one with less violence toward women. “In the very first drafts of the script, Vanessa didn’t die,” Reese continues. “She ended up breaking up with Deadpool, and he was trying to earn her back. Then I think at some point somebody just said, ‘Y’know, Deadpool kind of works best when he’s had everything taken away from him, when he suffers.’ So the thought was maybe we can really, really engender great suffering for him by having his line of work be the thing that costs Vanessa her life.”

They felt comfortable with these plot points in no small part because they technically get reversed by the end of the final reel. First, Cable succeeds in averting his dark future and learns that his wife and daughter’s lives have been saved, though he has to stay in the present because his time-travel device doesn’t have any juice left in it. In a mid-credits scene, the device is powered up again and DP ventures through the time stream to right various wrongs, including preventing Vanessa’s death.

“We always had in our back pocket that we could always bring [Vanessa] back if necessary,” says Reese. “So, we ran with that. And maybe that’s a sexist thing. I don’t know. And maybe some women will have an issue with that. I don’t know. I don’t think that that’ll be a large concern, but it didn’t even really occur to us.”

Wernick hopes viewers will understand why they made the call that they did. “I would say, in our defense, the only thing that really is important, the only thing that Deadpool cares about, is Vanessa,” he says. “So if you’re doing a movie where you are trying to get Deadpool at his lowest, to take away everything from Deadpool at the very beginning, the only thing to really take away from him is Vanessa.”

He doesn’t see it as a gendered choice. “I know it wasn’t consciously sexist,” Wernick adds. “It may appear that way as the film progresses and Cable loses his family as well, but again, the desire was to give a motivation to both Cable and to Deadpool, and have it be a parallel motivation that they both lost their family, and they’re both trying to kind of find their way in the world without them.”

Both men take comfort in the fact that they think the movie is, on balance, good to its women. “I also think we definitely paid attention to trying to fill the movie with a diverse group of strong female characters, interesting, different female characters,” says Reese. “Whether it’s Domino, or Negasonic Teenage Warhead — and Vanessa, herself, obviously, is certainly that. So we’ve definitely made a point of not having this just be a testosterone-fueled thing.”

Wow. That's the best they can come up with? You look at a film like Wonder Woman, and Steve Trevor's death serves both *his* character and the films themes. His sacrifice progresses him as well as Diana. He also died in the last like 15 minutes of the film, he was a co-lead and a fully realized character all the way up to that point and his death wasn't the only drive for Diana in the film. It was also anything but throwaway, it was the third act logical and emotional culmination for both character's as well as the message of the film. Hell, he’s the most developed romantic partner in a comic book movie ever (no offense to Kidder’s Lois Lane, R.I.P.). We feel for his death because we got to know him and with Diana and their chemistry was flawless. His death showed her what sacrifice meant, which what Pa Kent’s death in MoS tried to be but failed hard.

You can use the whole "reversing time" excuse, which certainly felt like a reshoot afterthought, but you can't change that, in the majority of the film, his arc begins because of his girlfriend's death. They resorted to a very misogynistic trope and it's played straight, without putting any thought into going other ways. That's why people are mad. And trying to save face by saying how "gender diverse" your film is shows how they truly care about women dynamics in films. I liked the film very much but this was bad writing and I can't see anyone defending this.

Ha, that would work.

One sight gag I missed the first time around was the ticker at the bottom of the newscast when they go to stop Russel. One of the stories was "Christopher Plummer refuses role in Deadpool 2."

So whats people view on the backlash that film is sexist for

killing the girlf friend and its portrayals of women in general

I think it is a valid criticism. I actually think the film handles it well, and certainly better than many in the genre that are also guilty of this (looking at you X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Daredevil), but it still executes a reductive and outdated trope. However, the fact that they [blackout]undo it in a very funny and cathartic way[/blackout] helps to a large degree.

I don't actually think how it depicts the other women is bad at all. Other than the fact that all super heroines are objectified in this genre, they are depicted as competent and having their own agendas and lifestyles. I know there is an argument that it is cliche to depict an Asian woman with dyed hair now, but NTW and Yukio, who aren't in it enough, are remarkably progressive given they are the first openly gay superheroes in cinema history, and Deadpool treats that as natural and not a big deal at all.

I think it is a valid criticism. I actually think the film handles it well, and certainly better than many in the genre that are also guilty of this (looking at you X-Men Origins: Wolverine, The Amazing Spider-Man 2, and Daredevil), but it still executes a reductive and outdated trope. However, the fact that they [blackout]undo it in a very funny and cathartic way[/blackout] helps to a large degree.

I don't actually think how it depicts the other women is bad at all. Other than the fact that all super heroines are objectified in this genre, they are depicted as competent and having their own agendas and lifestyles. I know there is an argument that it is cliche to depict an Asian woman with dyed hair now, but NTW and Yukio, who aren't in it enough, are remarkably progressive given they are the first openly gay superheroes in cinema history, and Deadpool treats that as natural and not a big deal at all.

Or a South Asian man with a heavy Indian accent. This was certainly a product of the pre-The-Problem-With-Apu days.

They have to call it the Snyder Cut. They just have to.

This is the first time I'm hearing about any "outrage" over Deadpool's girlfriend being murdered...the character is a contract killer. And I see nothing wrong with portraying an Indian man with an Indian accent.

If you wanna see some REAL sexist b.s. go check out Paul Feig's Ghostbusters reboot. All the men in there portrayed as jerks or idiots with their main supporting character portrayed as a dumb blonde that's sexually objectified by the main characters.

Last edited:
This is the first time I'm hearing about any "outrage" over Deadpool's girlfriend being murdered...the character is a contract killer. And I see nothing wrong with portraying an Indian man with an Indian accent.

If you wanna see some REAL sexist b.s. go check out Paul Feig's Ghostbusters reboot. All the men in there portrayed as jerks or idiots with their main supporting character portrayed as a dumb blonde that's sexually objectified by the main characters.

Yeah but the females aren’t exactly perfect people, either. Plus, Hemsworth was one of my favorite things about that average reboot.

There was nothing "sexist" in the movie at all . Unless you are a self delusional social justice warrior, desperately looking for something to be offended about to make yourself feel important

So a movie that introduces the first ever LGTBQ pairing in a superhero film, and does so in a positive not stereotypical way, features a women of color in a prominent role now has to be considered sexist.

Way to go everyone. Hope you're all happy.

Looks like 2 for 2 for me: I was the first to post on twitter a mo-cap actor on the Georgia bridge/viaduct set of the first Deadpool as Colossus (before there was ever talk, much less confirmation of Colossus even showing up on that film). And for part 2 I was the first to post a photo of another mo-cap actor (under the Cambie bridge this time) as [BLACKOUT]Juggernaut.[/BLACKOUT]

Movie started reaaaaaally slow, only picked up when they got on the convoy in downtown Vancouver. Might've been my theatre and I wasn't even really read up on the spoilers, but for a comedy most of the jokes did not land at all. How many dubstep jokes can you have? The Canadian audience I was with loved all the Canada jokes, of course.

Knew about the [BLACKOUT]Vanisher[/BLACKOUT] beforehand but missed the [BLACKOUT]Matt Damon[/BLACKOUT] one. Cool [BLACKOUT]Stan Lee[/BLACKOUT] "cameo." Cable looked like a midget on some shots, especially when he had his weird corrugated costume, but he looked really hot shirtless #Zaddy

Most of the scripted in plot and drama points were quickly written off by the after credits. [BLACKOUT]Cable could only time travel twice but Negasonic made quick work of that, in almost a Shuri way (she's brighter than anyone else, apparently).[/BLACKOUT]

First movie was funnier and had more heart.

Since I followed the various filming locations I can already tell several deleted scenes:

Cable, in his "corrugated" future costume, pushing around a cart in the rain on East Hastings street.

Domino in a motorcycle (it's obvious why this wasn't included :(

Fridging controversy is utter nonsense, being talked about by people who have no lives and desperate to cling onto something to be offended by.

Its a comedy film, its not that deep.

The writers discuss one of the most controversial aspects of the film. *SPOILERS*

Deadpool 2 Writers Defend Treatment of Female Characters:

Wow. That's the best they can come up with? You look at a film like Wonder Woman, and Steve Trevor's death serves both *his* character and the films themes. His sacrifice progresses him as well as Diana. He also died in the last like 15 minutes of the film, he was a co-lead and a fully realized character all the way up to that point and his death wasn't the only drive for Diana in the film. It was also anything but throwaway, it was the third act logical and emotional culmination for both character's as well as the message of the film. Hell, he’s the most developed romantic partner in a comic book movie ever (no offense to Kidder’s Lois Lane, R.I.P.). We feel for his death because we got to know him and with Diana and their chemistry was flawless. His death showed her what sacrifice meant, which what Pa Kent’s death in MoS tried to be but failed hard.

You can use the whole "reversing time" excuse, which certainly felt like a reshoot afterthought, but you can't change that, in the majority of the film, his arc begins because of his girlfriend's death. They resorted to a very misogynistic trope and it's played straight, without putting any thought into going other ways. That's why people are mad. And trying to save face by saying how "gender diverse" your film is shows how they truly care about women dynamics in films. I liked the film very much but this was bad writing and I can't see anyone defending this.

Good grief. what utter nonsense.

So a movie that introduces the first ever LGTBQ pairing in a superhero film, and does so in a positive not stereotypical way, features a women of color in a prominent role now has to be considered sexist.

Yah,that sucks big time.

Saw DP2 today and loved it,Negsonic and Yukio were awesome,Domino was very awesome (IMO) and I enjoyed the film maybe more than DP.

People need to chill and let things happen.

I haven't seen anyone call the whole movie sexist, but I've seen many people who enjoyed it criticize that one aspect of it, which seems perfectly reasonable to me. But what do I know.

To the perpetually outraged there is no such thing as ‘good enough’.

I mean it does use the fridge trope. But yes, I agree considering half of the main characters are women, and it is technically Yukio and NTW [blackout]who take out Juggernaut[/blackout], and that it is the most progressive LGBTQ superhero movie ever... it is odd how some folks still want to crucify it. While it has blindspots, it is definitely more woke than much of the genre.

This ‘woke’ nonsense is why people don’t take outrage culture seriously. It annoys me some people want everything to be tailored a specific way out of some misguided sense of positivity instead of allowing the film to do as it pleases. So what if tropes are used? If it works, it works.

So what if tropes are used? If it works, it works.

That about sums it up for me. I do think the movie isn't above criticism and I wasn't thrilled to see the use of said trope, but I ultimately went with it because the story was well-executed and heartfelt.

It's the world we live in now.

Familiar beats like this have existed for centuries across all forms of stories, but so what? The reality is there isn’t that many new kinds of stories left to create, it’s all just a miss mash of recycled ideas that have worked in the past that people stitch together. The thing is though, just because it’s been done before doesn’t make it bad, what matters is whether it’s done well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"