The Amazing Spider-Man Did Spider-Man 4 Die Because Raimi Wanted It To Be Like Avatar?

You can't pick and choose what is real and not real to you in order to justify Raimi hate. You keep saying we are, but you guys are to.

I don't believe that ending. Raimi knew he was done, I doubt he would leave it like that. Plus, where's the baby?

The stuff about the budget does match up to the other details about wanting more than 230 million.

I think every site in the last days say no truth.

Too much different "sources".

there is a distinct lack of respect for sam because he could EASILY have collected a fat pay check for SM4 and dialled in the direction but he is a fan like we are a fans and didn't want to rush the movie. he has my respect.

ratner (for example) MUST have known he couldn't have done xmen 3 justice with the time scale he had (a little over a year) but took the money and ran.

there is a distinct lack of respect for sam because he could EASILY have collected a fat pay check for SM4 and dialled in the direction but he is a fan like we are a fans and didn't want to rush the movie. he has my respect.

ratner (for example) MUST have known he couldn't have done xmen 3 justice with the time scale he had (a little over a year) but took the money and ran.
I think Thats Just Ratner in general, but yeah lets face it, general consensus is Spider-Man 3 is pretty bad, but look how much it made(over 800 million). Sony would rather make a date regardless of quality still knowing that even if it turns out bad they'll make at least 600 million to reboot instead, even though they claim the plan was to reboot after Spider-Man 4 anyways. Maybe they should hire better writers? thats just a guess. Or actually give someone creative control when they say they do.

[/B] I think Thats Just Ratner in general, but yeah lets face it, general consensus is Spider-Man 3 is pretty bad, but look how much it made(over 800 million). Sony would rather make a date regardless of quality still knowing that even if it turns out bad they'll make at least 600 million to reboot instead, even though they claim the plan was to reboot after Spider-Man 4 anyways. Maybe they should hire better writers? thats just a guess. Or actually give someone creative control when they say they do.

it was an easy choice for sony. if sam couldn't do it they would need to hire a new director with a new director tobey and dunst may not return and even if they did their new contracts would be HUGE. the second sam said he couldn't/wouldn't make may 2011 that was that.

Jesus Christ some of you fanboys are nuts. Do I believe Raimi wanted to make a good Spider-Man 4 movie? Yes I believe that was his intentions, but based on some of the story info that does indeed match up with other articles , Raimi had bad ideas. And Sony had bad ideas on what to force into the script. SM4 was a mess because of Sony and Raimi. What I can't stand is that some Raimi fans denying that he could do know wrong and it was all Sony's fault. I love Raimi, but he was just simply loosing his creative steam on Spidey.

Best post at the forum yet, imo! :up:

It's funny how some nuts immediatly yell "this is bogus!" when it's something bad about Raimi, but when there's something bad about Sony, they instantly post "Sony are stupid, I knew this!!" etc. Haha some people are really idiots over here!

Best post at the forum yet, imo! :up:

It's funny how some nuts immediatly yell "this is bogus!" when it's something bad about Raimi, but when there's something bad about Sony, they instantly post "Sony are stupid, I knew this!!" etc. Haha some people are really idiots over here!

I've been the first person to not believe false info either way :huh:

But, the thing about this is, you guys are doing it too. We get a report like this that isn't consistent with the latest reports on what was in the script, and you scream it must be true.

Everyone is justifying their own opinions with all the news that is coming out and believing what they want to believe. EVERYONE is. Saying you're not doing it too makes you one of the "idiots" as you called them. I'm not calling you an idiot, but I am saying you shouldn't call other people idiots for something everyone is doing.

I like Rami & I believe he wanted to do the best movie possible. But his ideas SUCK!!! Again, I'm glad he's leaving. Maybe we can get a Spider-Man that actually feels like Spider-Man. The only one of the movies that actually felt like the Spidey I know was 'Spider-Man 2', which is coincidentally the best movie of them all.

Doesn't make sense. No baby, and every time we heard about Black Cat/Vuturess, it was "love triangle"... How come there is a triangle if MJ is gone?

And the downer ending? If Raimi made a send off movie, we know without a doubt that it woud end with Spidey swinging, and the american flag in the background :p

hmmm. Interesting article. I see there is no mention of a confirmation or deny of this from Raimi.

If this is true, then it would indicate that Raimi had lost a lot of steam, which would be understandable. Even Peter Jackson needed a break after LOTR. There's just a few things that bother me about this.

1. Asking for a high budget has never been Raimi's MO until now apparently. We're talking about a director who has made one of the most iconic horror movies of all time for under $200,000. He made Darkman on a relatively low budget, if there's one thing Raimi is known for, is his ability to do a lot with a little. One of the biggest issues during production of Spider-Man was that he was filming a movie with a budget he had never had before and as such had to learn to do a lot with a lot.

2. Sony had a terrible 2009. The PS3 had resulted in over 1billion in losses of Sony revenue and the Spider-Man franchise had been the last really successful quarter they had in 2007. It makes sense that they would want to make the next Spider-Man movie with a lower budget, which would mean added pressure to the production crew to lower costs/ideas.

3. Avatar's budget was monumental due to the fact that a lot of the capture technology was invented specifically for the film. James Cameron has stated that the budget for the planned sequel would be significantly lower.

The article does make an interesting argument, but I cannot help but feel that it seems like Sony did not have the $$ to back Raimi's vision of SM4 and may have purposely put pressure on him until he backed out in order for them to reboot the franchise with a significantly lower budget.

This makes sense especially if Raimi had been given a play or pay contract which means that if the studio pulls the plug, they would have to pay him but if he pulls out, they would not.

I sure hope Sony isn't trying to save face, because that means that they really don't care about the franchise.

I hope webb does a great job

If that's true, Avatar didn't kill Spidey 4. Sony's cheapness and lack of good taste did.

If that's true, Avatar didn't kill Spidey 4. Sony's cheapness and lack of good taste did.

:up:

still, I hope Webb can pull it off. Unfortunately, it does mean Sony won't learn their lesson; but I want the Spider-Man franchise to keep being the standard.

Originally Posted by I_am_iron_man
I seriously think that these synopsis it's true.
And why do you tink this? There's no proof that this is in fact true.

here's another source

Vulture Exclusive: What Really Killed Spider-Man 4? Avatar!
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/01/avatar_killed_spiderman_4_sam.html

That was posted in another thread and I posted this:

That article contradicts itself a few times. It says that Sony was pushing for a 2011 release and couldn't budge any due to stock holders but were okay to do a reboot in 2012. That makes no sense. Their 2011 earnings will now be ruined so that isn't a reason.

It also said that Raimi wanted to help out toy sales but wanting to end the character ala Superman would have hurt toy sales. I think the man is smart enough to realize that. Nobody wants a Peter Parker action figure.

There are also reports that MJ and Peter had a baby as per Raimi so all of these rumors going around slandering Raimi while they all have different stories is silly. Dunst was also in this movie so the lack of MJ in that report is also a contradiction.

I do believe that Raimi wanted the vfx to be a lot better. I can believe that. That would make the movie better.

I doubt Avatar is what killed Spiderman 4. The fact is, there were various issues that couldn't be resolved . You had ageing expensive leads, A poor script , weak villans which Raimi and the studio couldn't agree on, a supposed better and cheaper reboot script , and The need to do the film before the rights go to marvel.

On balance, it's easy to see why Sony felt it was time to "move on" as it were. That's show biz for you.

as awful as that sounds, out of pure curiosity id love 2 read the script for s-4.
hopefully it comes online soon...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"