Superman Returns Direct-to-DVD Superman animated movie borrowing from SR?

SolidSnakeMGS

Superhero
Reaction score
I thought this was interesting, but disturbing as well in regards to Lex.

An excerpt:

What is the worst (about the new Animated movie)?
Surely you’ve heard of the new Superman movie coming out. Possibly not, it’s very small project and has virtually no buzz. Anyway, Lex is played this time around by Kevin Spacey, and what little we’ve seen of his performance harkens back to the wacky Gene Hackman Luthor of the 1977 film. And you know how when a movie comes out, how other incarnations of a character start to beeeend just a little to be more like it?

Complete article

I just read that myself....eh...it's going to happen I suppose. I don't know how accurate that is because we don't know what spacey's performance is reeeaallly like yet. It could be a connection or it could just be how those folks decided to write the character.

SolidSnakeMGS said:
I thought this was interesting, but disturbing as well in regards to Lex.

An excerpt:

What is the worst (about the new Animated movie)?
Surely you’ve heard of the new Superman movie coming out. Possibly not, it’s very small project and has virtually no buzz. Anyway, Lex is played this time around by Kevin Spacey, and what little we’ve seen of his performance harkens back to the wacky Gene Hackman Luthor of the 1977 film. And you know how when a movie comes out, how other incarnations of a character start to beeeend just a little to be more like it?

Complete article

That's a brutal interview... feels like it's two 16 year olds talking about Superman. The movie still doesn't sounds very good though... maybe that's why it's flown under the radar.

Guys, first off the interview is from AICN, it probobly is two 16 year olds talking about Superman.

And the film, even though its based off the Dini/Timm Superman cartoon, is missing alot of the talent that prodused that show and Justice Leauge. Its a damn shame that they got two name film stars (Powers Booth and Lance Henrickson) and they are horrible voicing Lex and Braniac. Also, this cartoon was prodused around the same time as JLU, and it seems to be completly seporate from that storyline.

Who’s responsible?
Directed by Curt Geda (Batman Begins: Return of the Joker) and written by Duane Capizzi (Batman vs. Dracula).

Are there any steamy naked scenes between Lois and Mercy?
What the hell cartoons have you been watching?

That says it all, credibility wise.

It's not an interview, it's a review, done in a question and answer format (kind of like a FAQ). It's done by one guy, not 2.

I dunno.....direct to DVD didn't work out so well for Batman either. Mystery of the Batwoman was horrible.

Surely you’ve heard of the new Superman movie coming out. Possibly not, it’s very small project and has virtually no buzz

Typical AICN

AICN = **** tards

Surely you’ve heard of the new Superman movie coming out. Possibly not, it’s very small project and has virtually no buzz.

That about sums up everything there is to know about AICN. They're calling a 200 million dollar movie a "small project"... well that's just nifty :o

THATS BULLSH^T......If true. How dare they reduce the best lex ever to some stupid comedic fool. Thats right, lets replace the best way to do Lex Luthor with the worst way. Sounds like someone off these boards made the movie.

However, Clark and Lois seem to be doing pretty good......but Braniac is bland. Not good.

venom420 said:
THATS BULLSH^T...... Sounds like someone off these boards made the movie.

Watch your tone, boy...

Oh that is just pathetic. DC screws up another property, undoing the coolness of the Timmverse. WTF!

First they put a blemish on the face of Batman TAS by putting out The Batman garbage, now this crap.:mad: :down

I posted this in the homage thread but I think it belongs here as well:

This film is going to impact the Superman franchise immensly. There is already, in that other thread, the review of the new Superman animated feature on DVD where the previously sinister and serious Lex Luthor played by Clancy Brown has turned into a completely comical character.

Another example of goofy Lex is when he comes upon Brainiac –having hijacked a Lexcorp weapons satellite - beating the crap out of Superman:
Lex: (squeals) “I am SO happy! (frowns) No, wait; I’m sad.”
Mercy: “Sir?”
Lex: “Lex9000 is supposed to bust up meteors, not Supermen. News of this could ruin me! (suddenly happy again) Well, can’t beat ringside. Mercy, microwave some popcorn!”

This is not Lex Luthor but kids and the general public are going to think that this is Lex Luthor for years to come and these influences will get into everything. I love the look of Superman the Movie but man, I think the Hackman's Lex Luthor and his little sidekick Otis following him around was just a relic of older campy superhero movies for kids...Having the two of them in striped prison garb straight out of the 20s and then climbing a rope ladder to escape from prison while making wisecracks is something that belongs in a 1960s Batman film. From Singer's comments, I'm afraid this aspect of Luthor is the only one he is familiar with and it will be the overwhelming presence in this film and franchise even though we've seen a few things otherwise. I'm just asking for a serious and actually frightening comic book villain for once. From what we've seen of Spacey, it's just like most other comic book villains who don't have their roles properly set so the talented actors cast for them just resort to acting maniacal and hammy ala the attrocious performance of Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face which has nothing to do with the character of of Two-Face but is just a guy acting crazy, making stupid "maniacal villain" type jokes, and laughing a lot.

Sometimes I wonder how many of you here actually read Superman comics and know what I'm talking about. I KNOW people in general don't have a problem with this - that inherentely is the problem...the proliferation of this aspect of the Donner characterizations will futher cement this into people's minds and they really won't have a problem at all with this. Thusly we will never ever get a Superman film that is closer to the comics and this will become the status quo if it isn't already.

Majority of the people = tyranny of the mob. The majority of the people have never read those (far too often quoted I'm sorry) staples like Birthright, Superman for All Seasons, Lex Luthor: Man of Steel, etc. and there probably never will as comic readers are a very small percentage of the population. It's just my opinion but I think Superman has much more to offer and they should be given a chance to see something of the Luthor as depicted in those comics instead of being given another cookie cutter comic-book maniacally laughing villain.

17.jpg

Lex Luthor in Braniac Attacks :down

So Luthor in the cartoon, who worked so well in the animated series and Justice League, is a hamball now? and he's not even Clancy Brown anymore? WTH?

I liked him in S:TAS a lot. One of my favorite versions of him is the good faced corporate mongul and hes dirty behind the scenes.

It's not so much Bryan Singer but WB Animation, who for some reason, wants to shift away from the Timm/Dini era to a the new "THE BATMAN" style era.

That show is no Batman TAS either....

But I blame Bryan Singer and his "vision" of Lex for this. Just had to have a villian that was also a quipster, like it's 1978 or something. Now the WB is going to strong armk the animation people into going along with Singer. Next thing you know, Michael Rosenbaum will be hanging out with some dude named Otis in a underground lair on Smallville. Can't wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"