Discussion: Racism vs. Sexism

Thanks for the laugh, I needed that. :funny:

This article was just posted on The Washington Post about a "brewing controversy" with the "Saturday Night Live" casting choice of a non-African American man for the role of Barack Obama.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/02/28/AR2008022803988.html

Oh, for Christ's sake, it's not like the man was dressed in black face or anything of a provocative, racist nature. SNL doesn't have anyone who looks like Obama, do they? So they did their best in what I consider to be a tasteful manner given the circumstances.

Oh, for Christ's sake, it's not like the man was dressed in black face or anything of a provocative, racist nature. SNL doesn't have anyone who looks like Obama, do they? So they did their best in what I consider to be a tasteful manner given the circumstances.

I think it's being blown out of proportion. As it says in the article itself, there have been other actors playing similar types of roles and nothing was ever complained about. I guess I just don't understand what makes this time so different. Is it because it's Brack Obama?

I think it's being blown out of proportion. As it says in the article itself, there have been other actors playing similar types of roles and nothing was ever complained about. I guess I just don't understand what makes this time so different. Is it because it's Brack Obama?

It is politics pervading the media via entertainment..... as usual.

One of the major reasons why people vote for Obama is because they don't like Hillary that much as a person, regardless of outward physical description... A vote for Obama is (sometimes) a vote against Hillary... Their opinions of her had already framed up their minds from the very beginning - even before the campaigning started - so they can't seem to get past that, despite the fact she does have more political experience than Obama.

LuiECuomo said:
The status quo BETTER prevail, because I for one do NOT want the most liberal, inexperienced, and unclear candidate in the entire race as this country's next President.

You aptly described Obama, someone who is in the running in this election, one who could be at a stone's throw away from the presidency. It would really help him if he could explain more, specifically on his proposed policies.

One of the major reasons why people vote for Obama is because they don't like Hillary that much as a person, regardless of outward physical description... A vote for Obama is (sometimes) a vote against Hillary... Their opinions of her had already framed up their minds from the very beginning - even before the campaigning started - so they can't seem to get past that, despite the fact she does have more political experience than Obama.

Oh no, it couldn't be because Obama supporters believe he is the better candidate. Truth be told, I actually liked Hillary quite a bit before South Carolina, and was torn between the two of them for quite a while. In the end I chose to support Obama, and that was long before Hillary turned into the schizophrenic nutcase she has become.

Oh no, it couldn't be because Obama supporters believe he is the better candidate. Truth be told, I actually liked Hillary quite a bit before South Carolina, and was torn between the two of them for quite a while. In the end I chose to support Obama, and that was long before Hillary turned into the schizophrenic nutcase she has become.

Ah yes, the dilemma of choosing between Obama and Hillary.

I remember, even way back in the early 90's, Hillary has always wanted to step out of her husband's shadow to become president instead. And it was very well broadcasted world-wide..

But as of late, she has turned desperate, on account that she might even conceive the notion of losing the nomination to someone she hasn't even heard of 2-3 years ago.... which is just sad... (on her part..)

There are some major flaws in her campaign, something that she should've addressed a long time ago, like confronting some of her mistakes, instead of pointing out others' mistakes... and like I expect from Obama, she should also explain more on the rudimentaries of her proposed policies.

You know, I support Obama because he changes things. Its not all about who has the biggest vagina, standards of vagina maintenance, whose vagina can hold its breath the longest, or even whose bod is the most bodacious. Truth be told, any one of us would probably have sex with either Dem candidate this cycle, so race and sex are NOT an issue. Neo-Cons and Decepticons will vote for McCain ANYWAY and they are the racists and sexists in this country. Liberals are historically not those things and vote based on their candidates morals, skills and ability to manipulate and change.

So please vote for Obama this fall, I cant, I'm not old enough. Someone vote for me or get ya head split.

Obama is all about breaking the stereotypes, see... He isn't afraid of water!

359812812_3cb7020505.jpg

The real problem is, SNL's best ain't that great anymore.

The real problem is, SNL's best ain't that great anymore.

I hadn't watched in a long time before I tuned in recently. I was really surprised to see that I didn't recognize a whole lot of people. I did like Tina Fey and Steve Martin coming for the return show.

When it comes down to it,Sexism can be stronger than Racism. More people are open for having a African President than a Woman.

There is a saying by an anonymous African prince in one of my history textbooks reading "I find it strange that those claiming mistreatment, tend to apply the same mistreatment to the old oppressor in the end."

I find it the case of many cultures worldwide.

There is a saying by an anonymous African prince in one of my history textbooks reading "I find it strange that those claiming mistreatment, tend to apply the same mistreatment to the old oppressor in the end."

How so? :huh:

Pew's recent polls for the Democrats show that racism will be a bigger problem than sexism amongst Democrats. Amongst the general electorate, sexism might be a bigger problem. According to their poll, both receive 84% from male Democrats against John McCain. In fact, Hillary's number is better (84-12 vs. 84-14 for Obama). Among black Democrats, Obama leads by 3% (96 to 93). With white Democrats, Hillary leads by 12% (87 to 75). There even seems to be a bit of reverse sexism going on amongst Democrats. 93% of female Democrats will vote for Hillary against McCain but only 79% will vote for Obama. Amongst all Democrats, Clinton would receive 89% whereas Obama would receive 81%, so her support from Democrats is quite a bit stronger overall.

Here's the link; scroll down to "Clinton Draws More Support Among Democrats":

http://people-press.org/reports/display.php3?PageID=1254

In a culture, one there is a racist or sexist or some other ism which is opressive to one group in a culture, there is a tendency for people were initally oppressed to give the same treatment in return to the being who first oppressed them.

Using the American civil rights movement, if a woman is oppressed by a man for a number of years, she will have a larger tendency to be oppressive to men in return.

For this election, this type of thinking has increased quite a bit, although I wouldn't be too worried about it, because in time cultures will move on.

Barack Obama's spiritual mentor Jeremiah Wright giving a sermon at Trinity United Church of Christ. In it he describes how a black Jesus was oppressed by white people and he goes on to say that, "Hillary ain't never been called a n*****....

Now if this were a white person saying these things, there would be bad place to pay.

I can never get the video feature on this site to work! Go to youtube and search for "Jeremiah Wright - Hillary Clinton ain't never been called..." and watch it.

[YT]http://youtube.com/watch?v=hAYe7MT5BxM[/YT]

What the heck? Bringing up a 5 year old thread to post a nearly 3 year-old video is kind of pathetic. Looking at who did it doesn't surprise me in the least either.

Breaking News: racism exists.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"