Discussion: The DEMOCRATIC P - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
She and her wife are longtime education activists, and apparently she's been "studying up" on other issues, in particular transportation policy. She's targeting that because there's lots of problems with New York City's subway system, which is run by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority overseen by Governor Cuomo. But no real political experience or qualifications unless you count education activism.

Really? Think of the children!

She's not getting MY vote.

*Harrumph* :o

I mean, the hardcore conspiracy theorist birther types are morons, but it's also pretty funny none of you seem all that bothered by Warren's own behavior. We immediately (and rightfully) throw vitrol at people falsely claiming military valor and stuff, probably should be consistent with someone falsely claiming to be a pretty-horribly-persecuted minority.

Even if the college admission stuff gets disproven and she didn't financially benefit from it, it's still a ****ty thing to do. Not sure the criticism's unwarranted.

I mean, the hardcore conspiracy theorist birther types are morons, but it's also pretty funny none of you seem all that bothered by Warren's own behavior. We immediately (and rightfully) throw vitrol at people falsely claiming military valor and stuff, probably should be consistent with someone falsely claiming to be a pretty-horribly-persecuted minority.

Even if the college admission stuff gets disproven and she didn't financially benefit from it, it's still a ****ty thing to do. Not sure the criticism's unwarranted.
Unless something happened that I haven't heard there is no evidence the claim is false and since native Americans aren't anywhere near the forefront of the criticism I'm inclined to dismiss it as unwarranted

Only someone with a perversely, grotesquely right wing outlook can even begin to consider Warren as an extreme anything just because she fights for simple workers rights and protections, money in politics and a living wage.
I was just about to say the same thing. Warren is a former republic and she is being considered an extremist??? Our Overton Window got F***ed in the 90s thanks to Bill Clinton's 3rdway, triangulation, well fair queen propaganda and Fox News and it still hasn't been corrected yet

I couldn't care less about Warren's heritage. :p

Everyone should put Native American on applications if Warren can be absolved publicly.

(I don’t think race should be a factor in any hiring or admissions.)

Right, because before affirmative action, colleges were almost completely white because whites are just smarter. :o

Unless something happened that I haven't heard there is no evidence the claim is false and since native Americans aren't anywhere near the forefront of the criticism I'm inclined to dismiss it as unwarranted

I'd say look to what the Native American tribes themselves say on it..
f Warren seeks to tackle the issue, there are no easy options. Some tribe members want her to apologize to Native Americans for claiming heritage without solid evidence. Tribes across America have spent centuries denouncing whites who claim Indian DNA without a clear basis, claims they find deeply offensive.

Another path includes pursuing stronger outreach to the tribes with whom she claims to share kinship, a strategy that she’s begun to employ. This too is fraught, as some Native American leaders are resentful that she’s done, in their estimation, little to help tribes as a powerful senator.

“She’s not part of the Cherokee community,” said Chad Smith, who was the principal chief of the Oklahoma-based Cherokee Nation from 1999 to 2011. “She hasn’t reached out. She hasn’t come here and participated much.”

Coming from https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/na...nd-politics/uK9pGOl4JBmqmRUcxTNj3H/story.html

(I don’t think race should be a factor in any hiring or admissions.)

The ONLY spot i see race being a factor, is if you are applying to a racing TEAM and thus your RACING history matters!:woot:

Got to do my part and voted today in PA.

Also an end to all the fear-mongering Rick Saccone ads and mail flyers, finally.

I was just about to say the same thing. Warren is a former republic and she is being considered an extremist??? Our Overton Window got F***ed in the 90s thanks to Bill Clinton's 3rdway, triangulation, well fair queen propaganda and Fox News and it still hasn't been corrected yet

This person also thinks Sanders is some sort of extremist for campaigning for stuff that is at the center of politics in other countries.

He calls himself a centrist.

The PA House District race is in recount territory right now with Lamb (D) ahead by 0.4% with 95% in.

This is a district that Trump won by 20 points (McCain and Romney also won here) and had a Republican representative previously since winning in 2002.

Right now it's down to about a hundred votes difference between the two.

D - 109,945
R - 109,850

These PA districts are heavily gerrymandered by Republicans years ago to overtly favor and protect Republican electoral prospects.

That's why there's the hubbub about the PA Supreme Court redrawing the map to be more fair which will affect the fall's election.

A little disappointing because I had thought the Democrat had it in the bag based on turnout. If it’s this close I can see it going to the courts.

A little disappointing because I had thought the Democrat had it in the bag based on turnout. If it’s this close I can see it going to the courts.

This is my thought as well. :)

Newest numbers from CNN give Lamb an 800 vote lead now while they're still counting the absentee ballots. And reportedly the absentee ballots are more likely to favor Lamb, coming from a more Democratic county, and because absentee ballots were covered more by the Democrat's ground game in the lead up to the election.

I like the sound of that. :)

These PA districts are heavily gerrymandered by Republicans years ago to overtly favor and protect Republican electoral prospects.

That's why there's the hubbub about the PA Supreme Court redrawing the map to be more fair which will affect the fall's election.

From what i remember about the court's ruling, is the redistricting went from favoring the GOP, to now favoring the Dems..

EDIT: That's only for state races apparently, I don't understand why.

Understand what? That states have low thresh-holds for recounts? OR why even have recounts??

Different recount rules apply for the technicality if it's state-wide or not in PA.

State statutes on the automatic recount question reference candidates who appear on the ballot in “every election district,” which is clearly not the case in a congressional race.

There is no automatic recount unless it's a state-wide race. This was not, so there is no automatic recount. I don't think it should be technical differences for whether a recount happens or not but there is.

Various experts have described the Pennsylvania congressional map drawn in 2011 as a partisan gerrymander drawn to benefit Republicans. Test after test found that the map was an extreme outlier, and in all three elections held under the map, in 2012, 2014, and 2016, Republicans won the same 13 out of 18 U.S. House seats.

The same 13 out of 18 seats, even as statewide votes split equally between Democrats and Republicans, even as Pennsylvania went for former President Barack Obama and then President Trump, former Gov. Tom Corbett and then Gov. Wolf, voted for U.S. Sens. Bob Casey and also Pat Toomey.

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/p...edistricting-map-coverage-guide-20180308.html

That is how the Republicans redrew the map back in 2011 and rigged the map to favor themselves. That's the real 'rigged' system: it's called gerrymandering. The popular vote is split 50/50, but overwhelmingly the districts go to the Republicans as they designed them to. The PA Supreme Court ruled it unconstitutional.

Democrats continue to overperform 2006. If things follow we're looking at a massive midterm seat takeover. Trump becoming president was the worse thing that could have happened to the GOP.

Republicans are wearing their brown pants.

Can't wait to see the number of retirements in the coming weeks.

Any idea how long before they officially call the Pennsylvania race?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"