Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you all have seen this already (it's everywhere second only to Kaijunexus' Avengers/GOTG crossover pic) but here's the place to discuss it:

Marvel and ABC Teaming on Avengers-Themed Series?
by SuperHeroHype
July 27, 2012

Deadline is reporting that Marvel's TV division is in talks with ABC and ABC Studios about developing a drama series set in the world of The Avengers.

The site says: "I hear that the connection to the Avengers franchise would be light as the project is expected to be set in the universe and feature some of its themes and feel but may not include any characters from Joss Whedon’s blockbuster. I hear the project is in a nascent stage, described as “a kernel of an idea,” with a number of scenarios explored, including a high-concept cop show."

Guillermo del Toro recently said that he was still working with ABC on a new "Hulk" series as well and that they were "waiting on a particular writer to do a rewrite on the pilot."

So a "high-concept cop show" set in the MCU? I love it! What an excellent opportunity to bring in street level heroes to deal with thugs, crime, and smaller issues. Let the Avengers deal with the planetary and beyond problems and let guys like Punisher, Moon Knight, Heroes for Hire, Cloak and Dagger, etc. deal with the smaller "street level" stuff. All with the central focus being law enforcement. I love it. Bring it on!

Nah. I'm excited that it's not just an adaptation, but actually Whedon-created in terms of these characters.

I'm sure there will be cameos aplenty. They just won't be the focus. I'm cool with new characters.

Nah. I'm excited that it's not just an adaptation, but actually Whedon-created in terms of these characters.

agree completely. i assume there will be some familiar faces here and there, but given all the A and B list characters that we are getting in the movies - something i never thought would happen even 5 years ago - Im totally fine with Whedon and Co. having the freedom to actually create new stories and new characters exclusive to the MCU. Hell, if the show is good, I hope some of these creations eventually work their way into the comic books. Why not?

I'm with Hawkingbird. They should use some of the established SHIELD agents in the show since it is connected to the MCU. SHIELD has a long, rich history that shouldn't go to waste. Other than Nick Fury himself, only Sitwell and Hill have been imported from the comics, which is a shame in light of all of the agents they could use.

I'm with Hawkingbird. They should use some of the established SHIELD agents in the show since it is connected to the MCU. SHIELD has a long, rich history that shouldn't go to waste. Other than Nick Fury himself, only Sitwell and Hill have been imported from the comics, which is a shame in light of all of the agents they could use.

In all fairness, a good chunk of the "name" SHIELD characters got pretty much written out of MCU continuity with the 70-year gap from WWII until now....let's face it, the modern MCU won't include Dum-Dum Dugan, Gabe Jones, Izzy Cohen or Dino Manelli, who would all long since be dead (or at least 90-100 years old). And they won't likely use any of the actual supers like Spider-Woman (any version) because (a) they'll want to reserve the possibility of developing those on the *big* screen and (b) it'd run contrary to Joss' theme for the TV show, which is about normal humans interacting with a superhero universe.

Still, I'd like to see some "name" agents show up, even if it's just one-episode cameos. It's surprising that Sitwell (Max Hernandez) from the movies wasn't offered a role.

In all fairness, a good chunk of the "name" SHIELD characters got pretty much written out of MCU continuity with the 70-year gap from WWII until now....let's face it, the modern MCU won't include Dum-Dum Dugan, Gabe Jones, Izzy Cohen or Dino Manelli, who would all long since be dead (or at least 90-100 years old). And they won't likely use any of the actual supers like Spider-Woman (any version) because (a) they'll want to reserve the possibility of developing those on the *big* screen and (b) it'd run contrary to Joss' theme for the TV show, which is about normal humans interacting with a superhero universe.

Still, I'd like to see some "name" agents show up, even if it's just one-episode cameos. It's surprising that Sitwell (Max Hernandez) from the movies wasn't offered a role.

I think we will see a good amount of Sitwell, he just isn't part of the main cast. I imagine that he will be a re-occurring character that shows up every few episodes. Additionally, I'd bet that we get cameos from Danvers, Woo, and Quartermain just to let the audience know that they are around but most likely out handling other issues in the MCU.

while I agree with Dum Dum and Gabe, both Izzy and Dino won't be a problem at all. They weren't mentioned in CA:TFA and were not part of the MCU version of the Howling Commandos. A single line of backstory rewrite is enough to incorporate them into the MCU anytime

They should have Quake and Watermein :o

I'm sure you meant Quake and Quartermain. :woot: I'd love for them to hire some big, blond hunk to play Clay, just to see if he could duplicate the agent's patented cheese-eating grin.

ClayQuartermain_ST167.jpg

I would expect the more "famous" SHIELD agents to be guest stars on this show, and I really hope to see them. Especially Quartermain. I don't think Joss could resist bringing such a fun character into the mix at some point.

don't worry guys, Agent Coulson wasn't a marvel character, and look at how we view him now :D

Once is enough thank you :o and thanks Xeno, spelling never has been my forte.

What do you guys think of the idea of Frank Castle showing up in this series?

I think television is a perfect place for The Punisher to appear.

I think television is a perfect place for The Punisher to appear.
Yes, but I think most people say that with cable channels like HBO or AMC in mind... What are your thoughts on him appearing on ABC?

Yes, but I think most people say that with cable channels like HBO or AMC in mind... What are your thoughts on him appearing on ABC?

Maybe not in his own show on ABC but I could see him having a guest appearance on SHIELD.

Maybe not in his own show on ABC but I could see him having a guest appearance on SHIELD.
That's actually what I meant by "...this series?" I think the chances of him showing up in the S.H.I.E.L.D. series are far better than many other heroes of the Marvel universe.

I bet Thomas Jane would do a guest spot on SHIELD if asked. He clearly loves the character as evidenced by his self-financed short film.

I bet Thomas Jane would do a guest spot on SHIELD if asked. He clearly loves the character as evidenced by his self-financed short film.
I just wonder how brutal they can get away with making him on network television directly associated with Disney.

I just wonder how brutal they can get away with making him on network television directly associated with Disney.

I think there are ways around it. You don't necessarily have to show all of the blood to portray that Castle is an effective vigilante. I picture an episode where the team of SHIELD agents are tasked with bringing in The Punisher after having monitored his activities for a while. They know he is going after a big time mob boss but his killings have gotten increasingly messy. Basically Castle takes what SHIELD can throw at him and continues to remain a step ahead. In the end they come to an uneasy agreement.

I wouldn't mind some episodes of SHIELD being like an anthology series where it doesn't feature any of the main cast (except maybe in a framing device) and instead has someone looking at or reviewing case files on video where it will then shift to a story about other Marvel characters. That way you could get a whole episode about someone like Daredevil or Punisher or Heroes for Hire or anyone else. It would break up the formula of the show.

FROM C B M...

Hummers outfitted in SHIELD logos for the new SHILED pilot?!

8624p1v.jpg

lYSpjqm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"