Disney/Marvel & ABC working on Avengers spin-off tv show?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm...

I could go for a SHIELD-as-police procedural TV Show, maybe Maria Hill as the big wig and using Clay Quartermain and Jessica Drew as partners. Could be fun. I mean, I'd rather see Luke Cage as a movie for personal reasons, so I'm not as big on H4H, though, even then, a Misty Knight and Colleen Wing involved could be, in a word, awesome.

not sure a Moonknight, Luke Cage:powerman or Heroes for Hire could
really sell the audience. Those not familar with those characters vs the more popular Marvel heroes, would have to take quite a time getting
accustomed to them.

if Disney wanted to make a huge splash right away and hit the ratings ground running fast and hard, then i think it would be in their best interest to go Hulk spinoff with their TV series vs the less heralded heroes previously mentioned.

And normally when a character like that (Hulk) hits the TV sets, whether locally or cable networks, it usually risks the burnout process, and it's not likely to generate any more interest as a solo feature at the theaters.

Marvel Studios isn't going to start making 5 movies a year or something like people want them to. For one, they don't have the budget; the studio heads produce all the movies themselves, they don't bring in other producers/production companies to do it for them; and they simply understand that flooding the market is a terrible thing for the genre, not a great one.

The big ticket stuff is and will remain the big name characters. They aren't going to put off an Iron Man movie or an Avengers movie or a Thor movie for a smaller name character. They're still a business, they need to meet certain quotas to keep their jobs. So when you see that they're already struggling to fit B-list stuff like Ant-Man and Dr Strange and Black Panther into their schedules, where does that leave the lower tier characters?

Most people here would like to see a Luke Cage movie or a Moon Knight movie or a Power Pack movie. People aren't against these movies on principle. But you also have to understand that realistically, logistically, they are a long long ways off, if they happen it all. So for these characters to see the light of day, it might have to be through another medium.

Sure, there are lots of ****** TV shows. The majority of shows based around superheroes have been absolute trash. The same can be said about superhero films, though. Before Marvel Studios the huge name characters, the Batmen and X-Men and Spider-Men and Supermen of the world, had seen filmmakers devote a lot of time and care and creativity to their movies. But the other characters, the characters with less exposure, got films that amounted to nothing. Some amounted to less than nothing.

So if this same group of people, or at least some of these same people, wants to try doing the same for a television show based around these characters, knows that that's the only way some of these characters are going to see any media exposure at all, and believes it can be done well, why should we feel angst about it? Television as a medium for storytelling has a ton of potential. The episodic formula umbrellaed by long-term arcs, allows for characters to be explored and cared for and realized in some pretty exciting ways.

True, you need the right people in front of the camera, behind the camera, and holding the pen (typing :oldrazz:) but the same holds true for film. Yeah, 3 out of 4 network shows are trash. The same holds true for film. "Just make a movie with those characters instead." If only it were so simple.

I'm just gonna go ahead and stay excited, and hope they nail it the way they did with film.

End rant. :)

Well-spake, sir, and agreed.

I've always said that television is the perfect medium for comic books in terms of its episodic nature, and its ability to devote far more time to character development and evolving (and criss-crossing) storylines on a weekly basis....as opposed to gambling all-or-nothing on megabudget tentpole films that come out every 2-3 years or so and try to condense tons of major heroes, villains and stories into a 2-hour montage.

The math is simple: you can get a helluva lot more story and character development and FUN out of 16 hours per year than you can out of two hours every THREE years.

I'm hoping for maybe a series focusing on the street level heroes. It can be done on TV like budget, or SHIELD would be nice.

Dude SHIELD as X-files, but superhumans instead of aliens. Run that.

Dude SHIELD as X-files, but superhumans instead of aliens. Run that.

I *do* like the idea of it being a series about a SHIELD recruitment team running around discovering a new superhero and/or supervillain in each episode. Slowly populate the MCU with "name" heroes and villains, regardless of whether they're Z-list all the way up to C-list (I'd save the B-listers and A-listers for feature films). A handful of the more popular "guest stars" would get recurring (or even permanent) roles on the series, but most will be one-and-done.

SHIELD could work. Heroes for Hire could work better :oldrazz:

You know who would've been a great lead in a Marvel "cop" show?

Coulson:csad:

If the film will have some ties to MCU i think this show, might just revolve around normal people or cops who live in this Marvel Cinematic World...

I think this idea originated from what they done with Item 47... I think the TV series will be more like that.. I think SHIELD might feature, superheroes will be mentioned, but i don't think any Marvel Heroes will be the main or supporting characters.. Maybe smaller characters will guess star..

This way Marvel can still have fun with these characters within this world, without worrying about CG effects and big action scenes...

Yes. That is exactly how you would approach this. Normal characters, most of whom aren't even in the comic books. Supporting players of supporting heroes in the MCU. That way you remove any and all expectations of seeing major characters and big action sequences.

Spider-Woman or Ms. Marvel (no super powers) are about the highest I would go as far as top of the line Marvel heroes featured on a weekly basis. TV shows cater very much to the female demo and this is a good way to get those characters exposure. Being that Marvel hasn't had a street level hero featured as of yet (other than Punisher), I think Luke Cage/Heroes for Hire can definitely be a major mation picture if not a franchise, albeit with a much smaller budget. No reason why that can't be something a notch below Fast and the Furious as a franchise. Probably won't ever be as popular as that, but still pretty damn good.

Last edited:
yeah, it'll probably be SHIELD and the bad guys will likely be no names or made up baddies just for the show

You know who would've been a great lead in a Marvel "cop" show?

Coulson:csad:

I was calling for "Phil Coulson, Agent of SHIELD" as a TV show. . . lordy, I think shortly after Iron Man 2. Sadly, its not to be, though maybe it can happen in spirit if not detail.

Yes. That is exactly how you would approach this. Normal characters, most of whom aren't even in the comic books. Supporting players of supporting heroes in the MCU. That way you remove any and all expectations of seeing major characters and big action sequences.

Spider-Woman or Ms. Marvel (no super powers) are about the highest I would go as far as top of the line Marvel heroes featured on a weekly basis. TV shows cater very much to the female demo and this is a good way to get those characters exposure. Being that Marvel hasn't had a street level hero featured as of yet (other than Punisher), I think Luke Cage/Heroes for Hire can definitely be a major mation picture if not a franchise, albeit with a much smaller budget. No reason why that can't be something a notch below Fast and the Furious as a franchise. Probably won't ever be as popular as that, but still pretty damn good.

WTF???

Who out there, besides you, would give two ****s about a show about mundane, non-superpowered, non-"name" SUPPORTING characters from the Marvel Universe....??? :dry:

I mean, what's the point, man?

I really like this idea. There are thousands of characters in the Marvel Universe that they could use here, that may never get the chance at a full fledged movie.

You would definitely want to avoid the villain/monster or in this case hero of the week formula. I see it as a show where SHIELD, or SHIELD in conjunction with a law enforcement entity, has to track down dangerous beings or seek the help of smaller scale heroes.

Personally I'd love to see a man named Frank Castle be the liason between SHIELD and the law. Then a tragic event happens to his family...and we all know what happens after.

I'd love to see them spend time developing arcs for characters that would never get a chance on screen. To me this is screaming for the street level heroes like: Punisher, Moon Knight, Cloak and Dagger, and Heroes for Hire.

This formula would make so much more sense than a Hulk series IMHO.

I actually like both ideas for a show, the Hulk tv show is being developed by Guillermo Del Toro and they seem to want to have Hulk appear in every episode.
But by Z-Listers what are we talking about? Reimaginations of characters like
mr%20doll.jpg

JiM098cover.jpg

8c_88729_0_TalestoAstonishVol148.jpg

And other forgotten 60s villains?

WTF???

Who out there, besides you, would give two ****s about a show about mundane, non-superpowered, non-"name" SUPPORTING characters from the Marvel Universe....??? :dry:

I mean, what's the point, man?

Because it is TV. Can't compare the two mediums. Just make a good drama and people will watch regardless. Besides, look at how TV shows come and go. Before you blink an eye, a show gets taken off the air in season. You want that treatment for Marvel characters you actually care about?

Again, I am all for a SHIELD show. Maybe guest appearances by Cobie Smulders and SLJ himself if the show takes off. But you can't feature major heroes and expect it to work. As far as the Luke Cages and Moon Knights, if Marvel doesn't want to treat them seriously, water them down in a cliched TV concept/format. I just wouldn't launch those characters from that platform at the beginning. At least dabble in a low-mid budget project and aim for something higher.

Last edited:
I think that Blade and Punisher would work very well as TV properties, the Punisher can be a crime show where he hunts down a certain criminar every episode while Blade can very well work with the monster of the week format as the last show tried the multi episodes story arc and didn't work well. Or maybe even a Tomb of Dracula tv show. Considering how busy Marvel is with their bigger movies these 2 properties could be used for TV instead.

Because it is TV. Can't compare the two mediums. Just make a good drama and people will watch regardless. Besides, look at how TV shows come and go. Before you blink an eye, a show gets taken off the air in season. You want that treatment for Marvel characters you actually care about?

Again, I am all for a SHIELD show. Maybe guest appearances by Cobie Smulders and SLJ himself if the show takes off. But you can't feature major heroes and expect it to work. As far as the Luke Cages and Moon Knights, if Marvel doesn't want to treat them seriously, water them down in a cliched TV concept/format. I just wouldn't launch those characters from that platform at the beginning. At least dabble in a low-mid budget project and aim for something higher.

That's why I said don't go with A-list or B-list heroes. Or villains. C-list or below is fine.

But the point is: it's a Marvel movie. About the Marvel universe. If you advertise the superhero genre and then *don't* give the audience superheroes, it's like advertising a romance show where nobody falls in love, a murder mystery show where nobody dies, or a comedy where nobody says anything funny. (Insert your favorite failed comedy show joke here.)

As for whether or not the heroes find an audience or not, or whether the show lasts a lifetime or less than half a season: what's it gonna hurt? It's not like there's going to be some statute of limitations imposed on any character(s) that fail. If Luke Cage, for instance, bombs as a TV show, there's no reason at all to assume you can't then try to use the character in the movies instead.

And I like the idea of using Blade, per the post above. He was given a TV show on Spike back in '06 that was poorly received, yeah, but also poorly conceived. I think you could use the SHIELD recruit-a-hero format and start with a bang, featuring a character in the pilot who's recognizable to fanboys and general audiences alike. Have them recruit Blade in the first episode, and here....we.....GO

There's routes they could go, I'm fond of the idea of a show focusing on mundanes living in the MCU, they could do a cop show, or Jessica Jones, or a show about reporters like the Pulse. Lots of different ways to go, as long as they aren't cheap about it. Good tv is good tv regardless of the trappings.

That's why I said don't go with A-list or B-list heroes. Or villains. C-list or below is fine.

But the point is: it's a Marvel movie. About the Marvel universe. If you advertise the superhero genre and then *don't* give the audience superheroes, it's like advertising a romance show where nobody falls in love, a murder mystery show where nobody dies, or a comedy where nobody says anything funny. (Insert your favorite failed comedy show joke here.)

As for whether or not the heroes find an audience or not, or whether the show lasts a lifetime or less than half a season: what's it gonna hurt? It's not like there's going to be some statute of limitations imposed on any character(s) that fail. If Luke Cage, for instance, bombs as a TV show, there's no reason at all to assume you can't then try to use the character in the movies instead.

And I like the idea of using Blade, per the post above. He was given a TV show on Spike back in '06 that was poorly received, yeah, but also poorly conceived. I think you could use the SHIELD recruit-a-hero format and start with a bang, featuring a character in the pilot who's recognizable to fanboys and general audiences alike. Have them recruit Blade in the first episode, and here....we.....GO
If you're talking about recruiting a known character by SHIELD then i would recomend taking some ideas from Mark Millar's Ultimate Comics: Avengers, which had Nick Fury assembling a team to serve as black ops for SHIELD called Avengers (the actual avengers of that universe were called Ultimates).

The team at some point had Blade, Hawkeye, Punisher, a woman that could control insects, a new Black Widow and War Machine. I think that using Blade, Punisher and maybe other C to Z characters like you said would be the way to go, battling both super powered and supernatural threats.

Marvel Studios won't really have much time to release other films unrelated to the Marvel Universe so i think TV would be a really good option. If Blade and the Punisher didn't appear in the show or ever got out of the show i would like to see a Punisher and a Tomb of Dracula tv shows.

Is Jeph Loeb involved in this? Yes? Then I'm not excited.

I don't think he's as involved with this as with the animated shows

I don't think he's as involved with this as with the animated shows
Isn't he still Marvel's Head of Television? Until he loses that title, I can't trust that he doesn't have his hands in this.

Last edited:
But from what i can understand of the animated shows it's mostly him who comes up with the ideas for shows, while the live-action shows are being developed by such creative minds like Guillermo Del Toro

oh! I got it...

The series should focus on SHIELD vs Hyrda in modern day of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"