Disney Movie Appreciation Thread - Part 1

This is an interesting article. Would we ever see a HIV positive Disney princess?

http://www.advocate.com/commentary/2016/3/10/note-national-women-and-girls-hivaids-awareness-day

It's an intriguing concept. There's a HIV positive character on the South African version of Sesame Street and it would do so much to challenge stigma

I don't know about making the princess HIV positive. But maybe add HIV to the story somehow? Something like "Cinderella's mother died of AIDS back before anyone knew what AIDS was. She passed the virus on to her husband, Cinderella's father, who later remarried. He too dies of AIDS but not before passing the HIV virus to his new wife. By now the doctors know what HIV and AIDS are, how they're spread, and how to treat the disease. So now being HIV positive isn't the death sentence that it once was. However Cinderella's stepmother doesn't like the stigma associated with the disease and takes her frustrations out on poor Cinderella."

In a modernized version of the Cinderella story, THAT could work.

It could be interesting if done well. But if they're still unwilling to even have an openly LGBT princess, then I don't see them doing that anytime soon either.

With the reimagining of Disney Classics are in full swing thanks to the success of Cinderella & The Jungle Book.. plus Beauty & The Beast next year. I have a strong feeling that the likes of Aladdin, Little Mermaid, & Lion King are in the works.

Ha, can't wait to see live action Aladdin though. He was my first crush I think

'Live Action' Lion King is going to be something special. Wonder if they'll do something similar to BatB, where they mix new songs with ones from the animated movie?

I would say I know the answer to that question but then I would be lion

I don't see the point of a "live action" Lion King. With Jungle Book, I could see it. There were talking animals, but the story was the human boy. There are no humans in The Lion King. It'll all be CG animals. You're just trading on animation style for another.

We're 4 films in and Disney is on a roll with it's current live-action reemerging of classic tales.

Cinderella, The Jungle Book, Pete's Dragon & Beauty & The Beast

Yeah and we've still got some of the best ones (the little mermaid, Aladdin and the lion king) still coming up! I'm very excited.

I wonder if we could get a live action Aristocats in the style of 101 Dalmatians?

We're 4 films in and Disney is on a roll with it's current live-action reemerging of classic tales.

The original Pete's Dragon was live action too.

I saw The Hunchback of Notre Dame for the first time in like 20 years and was blown away by how great it was. It's now my favourite Disney movie and I can't quite understand why it is so underrated. Aside from the gargoyles, I can't find any flaws with it(but then I haven't read the original novel). The darkest and most complex Disney movie with some great songs and a terrific villain in Frollo. A new live action version could be really great.

HUnchback's a great movie, but a lot of people didn't know how to take its serious tone and disagreed with Disney even trying to adapt Hugo's classic. And the gargoyles never fit the rest of the movie. They would have been better if they'd been dialed back about 70%.

What changes/additions would everyone want to see for The Little Mermaid (hoping it gets made within the next 5 years).

Of course Ursulas backstory is the biggest, maybe have her indirectly be the cause of Ariels mother.

Make Flounder a homosexual.

Haha seriously though I wouldn't change that much except the ending. I would give Ariel more agency in it. Have her be the one to pilot the ship in or something.

And if Disney outs any more characters at least out prince Eric and then have him come wine and dine me

Wasn't Alice in Wonderland, The Sorcerer's Aprentice and Maleficent part of this too? It seems like Alice and Maleficent played a part in many of these remakes being greenlighted.

Wasn't Alice in Wonderland, The Sorcerer's Aprentice and Maleficent part of this too? It seems like Alice and Maleficent played a part in many of these remakes being greenlighted.

You are right, live action Alice is like the Iron man of the Disney live action fairy tale adaptations. Its the hit that started it all. No one wants to mention it because it and its sequel are both awful.

I saw The Hunchback of Notre Dame for the first time in like 20 years and was blown away by how great it was. It's now my favourite Disney movie and I can't quite understand why it is so underrated. Aside from the gargoyles, I can't find any flaws with it(but then I haven't read the original novel). The darkest and most complex Disney movie with some great songs and a terrific villain in Frollo. A new live action version could be really great.

Tonally it is very discordant. The darkness of Frollo and religious hypocrisy coupled with gargoyles doing comedy and magic sidekick gags in the margins. Also, the very idea of the gargoyles betrays the concept of Quasimodo being painfully, agonizingly alone.

Also while the main theme with the bells and the villain songs are great, the rest are kind of generic by Menken and Disney standards. Add in that it just feels off for that story to have a happy ending (because spoiler alert: the book is a tragedy), it just seems inherently uneven. I suspect it was always a bad choice to turn that specific material into a Disney movie. So even with gorgeous animation and music, it was always at a disadvantage.

What changes/additions would everyone want to see for The Little Mermaid (hoping it gets made within the next 5 years).

Of course Ursulas backstory is the biggest, maybe have her indirectly be the cause of Ariels mother.

More agency from Ariel at the end, as well as her visibly realizing the no-voice clause was a mistake and a bad decision before Ursula comes back into the narrative. Also a scene between her and her father before he decides to let her be a human.

With that said, also not to shade the Beauty and the Beast remake too much, but Ariel needs to be played by someone who can both act and sing. Watson is a charming presence, but her acting was pretty flat and her voice was even weaker. Since Ariel could run the risk of being bratty without a compelling performance, and her voice needs to sing "Part of Your World," it will need more than stunt casting. But we shall see.

Tonally it is very discordant. The darkness of Frollo and religious hypocrisy coupled with gargoyles doing comedy and magic sidekick gags in the margins. Also, the very idea of the gargoyles betrays the concept of Quasimodo being painfully, agonizingly alone.

Also while the main theme with the bells and the villain songs are great, the rest are kind of generic by Menken and Disney standards. Add in that it just feels off for that story to have a happy ending (because spoiler alert: the book is a tragedy), it just seems inherently uneven. I suspect it was always a bad choice to turn that specific material into a Disney movie. So even with gorgeous animation and music, it was always at a disadvantage.

Completely agree. It would have worked a lot better if they'd just had one gargoyle and have it not be a silly, slapstick character. They just didn't mesh with the rest of the story.

And whoever thought it was a great idea to drop a silly song into the middle of the very dark, dramatic sequence of Frollo burning down Paris to find Esmeralda needs a lesson in story structure.

It's a shame because I thought Tom Hulce did a great job and has a wonderful singing voice, and Tony Jay and Kevin Kline were also fantastic. Just a shame they weren't in a better-written movie.

HUnchback's a great movie, but a lot of people didn't know how to take its serious tone and disagreed with Disney even trying to adapt Hugo's classic. And the gargoyles never fit the rest of the movie. They would have been better if they'd been dialed back about 70%.

Disney did a stage adaptation of Hunchback which is much closer to the novel with the tragic ending and cutting the Gargoyles and making it that the statues of Notre Dame are figments of Quasimodo's imagination.

I think a live action version should be darker because it's not a happy story and i think Disney knows it which is why they're reluctant to do a live action version,

There's a fan-edit where the gargoyles are removed. I think there's also one where it's more apparent that the gargoyle's are figments of Quasimodo's imagination.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"