Disney's Encanto

I loved this, biggest gripe was it was kinda hard to hear the lyrics to some of the songs. The first song especially was hard to understand and it’s the song that introduces us to the family.
How does it rank compared to Moana? That’s the top bar for me in terms of animated musicals.

I like Moana more. Both have music done by Lin Manuel Miranda but I could actually hear the lyrics to all of Moanas songs, I also think they were written better. There’s also two musical numbers I believe in Encanto that have references/similarities to another Disney movie that might make some people roll their eyes.

Planning on seeing the movie on Friday, but the full plot synopsis on Wikipedia makes this sound very underwhelming. It really just sounds like a musical family drama and no real reason's given for the conflict (the house losing it's magic and falling apart). The most recent trailer made it seem like there'd be more of an adventure element to it and it doesn't sound like it. Can someone who's seen the movie please clarify things without spoilers?

Also, on a side note, what is Disney's aversion lately with having any sort villains in their animated movies, especially in regards to their musicals? They don't need to be "sympathetic" or be a twist. There's nothing wrong with having an obvious villain from the start and making them evil and hammy as all hell. We haven't had a villain song since 2010 technically! What's the aversion? Did Loki's popularity really give them the wrong idea that people don't want straight-up scenery-chewing villains anymore?

There is a reason to why it all happens it’s pretty relatable actually.

Any classic fairy tales that are still left for a Disney Animated Feature? The last they’ve done was Frozen. I know they tried a Jack and the Beanstalk spin with Giant but cancelled it.

The movie takes a while to find its footing, and Lin-Manuel Miranda's songs aren't very good.

The second half it becomes a lot better. To me the movie was like an undercooked dish or an unripened fruit. It needed a bit more time and development.

Also, the movie has three directors and multiple writers. It felt like some clashing visions at work.

Any classic fairy tales that are still left for a Disney Animated Feature? The last they’ve done was Frozen. I know they tried a Jack and the Beanstalk spin with Giant but cancelled it.

The Princess and the Pea? The 12 Dancing Princesses?

Also, on a side note, what is Disney's aversion lately with having any sort villains in their animated movies, especially in regards to their musicals? They don't need to be "sympathetic" or be a twist, either. There's nothing wrong with having an obvious villain from the start and making them evil and hammy as all hell. We haven't had a villain song since 2010 technically! What's the aversion? Did Loki's popularity really give them the wrong idea that people don't want straight-up scenery-chewing villains anymore?
You're forgetting this gem from Moana:

That aside, I do agree that we're missing out on some quality villains in Disney films as of late. Tamatoa was fun but he's in no way a main villain. King Candy in Wreck-It Ralph was a decent villain but he didn't have a song. I can't even remember who the villain was in Wreck-It Ralph 2. Hans was a good twist villain in Frozen but the villain of Frozen II being Anna and Elsa's grandfather who had been long dead since before the first movie even began was lame.

Even though the newer films have been mostly good anyway, we're still a far cry from the classic villains of the Renaissance era like Ursula, Gaston, Jafar, Scar, Frollo and Hades.

You're forgetting this gem from Moana:

That aside, I do agree that we're missing out on some quality villains in Disney films as of late. Tamatoa was fun but he's in no way a main villain. King Candy in Wreck-It Ralph was a decent villain but he didn't have a song. I can't even remember who the villain was in Wreck-It Ralph 2. Hans was a good twist villain in Frozen but the villain of Frozen II being Anna and Elsa's grandfather who had been long dead since before the first movie even began was lame.

Even though the newer films have been mostly good anyway, we're still a far cry from the classic villains of the Renaissance era like Ursula, Gaston, Jafar, Scar, Frollo and Hades.

Agreed. I'm not asking for caliber like that. Just villains who are the level of what we're used to. Dunno what the skittishness on Disney's part is.

A quick glance at my Grimm and HCA collections, there are a lot of European fairy tells left, even if not necessarily classic. Still, I would like them to continue to explore other cultures.

A quick glance at my Grimm and HCA collections, there are a lot of European fairy tells left, even if not necessarily classic. Still, I would like them to continue to explore other cultures.

Oh yeah, I don't mind these original stories, but there's still so many more classics from all cultures, not just European. I mean, Aladdin was a Middle Eastern tale. Mulan a Chinese "folk" tale. I'd like to see more of that as well.

Princess and The Frog never got the respect i deserved. Dr. Facilier was an awesome villain.

Keith David is f'n brilliant. A legend.

I'm not a fan of Hunchback of Notre Dame, but the late great Tony Jay is brilliant as Frollo.

Encanto might be the first animated film to properly break out during the pandemic. It's looking like it will blow past the pre-release predictions:

‘Encanto’ Eyes $38.6M Five-Day Opening; ‘House Of Gucci’ Seeing $21.7M – Deadline

Disney is reporting $5.8M, -23% from Wednesday, for its second day of Encanto, though many rivals believe the movie actually made more; at least $6M. If there’s any major fluctuation to the movie’s 5-day outcome, that will become evident today and tomorrow. For now, the Jared Bush, Bryon Howard and Charise Castro Smith-directed movie is looking at a 3-day of $32.9M and 5-day of $46.6M.

LOVED the movie (STILL pining for a new musical villain and accompanying song though), though there's something driving me nuts. Luisa's song "Surface Tension" reminds me a lot of a 90s-early 2000s female rap number but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. I can practically hear the beat in my head, but I can't remember the name or the artist!

Here's the song from this movie in question. Maybe you guys can figure it out:

LOVED the movie (STILL pining for a new musical villain and accompanying song though), though there's something driving me nuts. Luisa's song "Surface Tension" reminds me a lot of a 90s-early 2000s female rap number but for the life of me I can't remember what it was. I can practically hear the beat in my head, but I can't remember the name or the artist!

Here's the song from this movie in question. Maybe you guys can figure it out:

My favorite song from the film.

This was such a cute film, it’s absolutely amazing what they can do with animation these days! It’s great to hear John Leguizmo’s voice again too!
I thought the movie preview was very cute, but I just can't get into animation these days. The last animated movie I liked was "Up". My aversion is probably a result of having a daughter who watched "Shrek" and "The Lion King" 500 quadrillion times.....

Saw this the other day. It's very colorful and enjoyable, but I have to agree that sometimes it's hard to make out the song lyrics. The first song goes by so fast that I couldn't make out most of it and spent the rest of the movie being somewhat confused as to who all the characters were and how they were related.

This debuts on Disney+ this Friday so it should reach a larger audience then.

I watched this and I didn't like it.
Rumpelstiltskin.

Saw this the other day. It's very colorful and enjoyable, but I have to agree that sometimes it's hard to make out the song lyrics. The first song goes by so fast that I couldn't make out most of it and spent the rest of the movie being somewhat confused as to who all the characters were and how they were related.

This debuts on Disney+ this Friday so it should reach a larger audience then.

Something was off about a lot of the songs and they just didn't feel like greatly worded songs with strong identifiable lyrics.

Moana at least had a couple really good songs.

Pretty enjoyable. Nothing too spectacular but still good nonetheless. I liked the songs but pretty much a standard animated film from Disney these days

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"