Do you want an origin story or he has been supers and we get flashbacks of the past?

Godman

Sidekick
Reaction score
As in how burton did Batman where he had already been bats for at least a year and the people were still getting used to him and telling stories of his existence. Of course superman is more blatant about his operations so he would already be a news paper headliner and kent would be supes already. Or do we want a complete overhaul starting from the planet krypton.

I think there has not been a great Superman movie that is serious all the way through without camp that happens to be an origin. I would like to see the origin story (which is my favorite) correctly. By correctly I mean treated seriously, without campy jokes or campy villains to ruin the experience and with modern special effects. Christopher Reeve did the best possible job with what he was given but Gene Hackman was too campy as was everyone else in Metropolis and I'd like to forget Otis existed. So definitely, an origin story that establishes him from birth to adulthood.

Treat the character seriously, respectfully and stop with the camp. No disrespect to anyone who is religious but I think the story of (insert here the name of any religious character you would like) would be treated seriously in a movie no matter how impossible it could be. So, I expect the same kind of treatment for a character that is just as fictional (in my opinion) as whatever god, angel, demon, etc. you'd like to name.

It is obvious they are going the way of the origin story.

This is a new take and therefore needs an origin. Simply jumping into a new version of Superman midstream doesn't make much sense at all. I'm not sure why people ever even suggest it.

This is a new take and therefore needs an origin. Simply jumping into a new version of Superman midstream doesn't make much sense at all. I'm not sure why people ever even suggest it.

Thank you, I have been saying that since the before the Abrams script.

I want origin all the way. I'm not crazy about flashbacks.

I hope they follow the style of BB. Don't start at the point that everyone expects you to start at (i.e. The Wayne's death, Krypton exploding)... take a different angle, add something new to the franchise.

I am 100% hoping for a non linear status, and I guess that includes flashbacks. But I don't want them to start with Superman already established. I want to see everything that brings him to that decision, and that is the experiences of his life - which don't have to be told in the cliched linear way that most people know.

I hope they follow the style of BB. Don't start at the point that everyone expects you to start at (i.e. The Wayne's death, Krypton exploding)... take a different angle, add something new to the franchise.

I am 100% hoping for a non linear status, and I guess that includes flashbacks. But I don't want them to start with Superman already established. I want to see everything that brings him to that decision, and that is the experiences of his life - which don't have to be told in the cliched linear way that most people know.

If you want to see everything that brings him to the point of Superman, that is still linear whether they throw one Superman scene at the start or not. The story will have been told in a linear way. If they are jumping back and forth, than that is non-linear which I think pulls the viewer out of the story too much. Flashbacks are not necessary for this type of film. Though some Krypton flashback stuff is expected.

If you want to see everything that brings him to the point of Superman, that is still linear whether they throw one Superman scene at the start or not. The story will have been told in a linear way. If they are jumping back and forth, than that is non-linear which I think pulls the viewer out of the story too much. Flashbacks are not necessary for this type of film. Though some Krypton flashback stuff is expected.

No, what I want is non linear... like I said, i'd like it if they followed BB's style.

BB started with how Bruce became afraid of Bats, then flipped to him in prison, then later we saw how he ended up there, and in between that and his training with Ra's we got the Wayne's death scene.

MOS could start with so many different interesting things. I want to see Jor-el and Lara sending baby Kal-el off. I want to see the Kents finding him. I want to see him figuring out he's an alien and how he deals with it. And I would love to see new things like Clark as a journalist in another country.

But I don't want to see it all in that order.

No, what I want is non linear... like I said, i'd like it if they followed BB's style.

BB started with how Bruce became afraid of Bats, then flipped to him in prison, then later we saw how he ended up there, and in between that and his training with Ra's we got the Wayne's death scene.

MOS could start with so many different interesting things. I want to see Jor-el and Lara sending baby Kal-el off. I want to see the Kents finding him. I want to see him figuring out he's an alien and how he deals with it. And I would love to see new things like Clark as a journalist in another country.

Batman Begins was linear storytelling imo. I don't remember much jumping around at all.

Batman Begins was linear storytelling imo. I don't remember much jumping around at all.

:doh:

It breaks down like this.

Time period 1: Bruce as a kid

Time period 3: Bruce's league of shadows training

Time period 1: Bruce as a kid

Time Period 3: Bruce's league of shadows training

Time Period 2: Bruce in his early twenties

Time Period 3: Bruce burning down the league of shadows.

Everything from then on is linear, but the origin is non linear. And that's what I hope they do with MOS, rather than the completely linear story of Superman The Movie.

Granted it was my age at the time, and not having great knowledge of how movies worked. But I was confused as hell at all the jumping timelines in BB :hehe:

Agreed.

Inception was pretty linear.

Linear yes, but the dream within in a dream, everything was very intricate. I have to watch it again to really understand the whole thing. Memento also took me a couple of viewings to really get it.

I'd have preferred to have a first film with almost no Kryptonian presence apart from the knowledge stored in the ship that Kal-El arrives in. Even that I'd have liked to have been treated in the same way as it was in Birthright.

I've probably mentioned this before but I'd have liked to have seen his Kryptonian heritage revealed at the end with a cliffhanger ending which signalled the arrival of Brainiac for the second film in which Krypton is then seen through flashbacks that brought the story up to its destruction.

But are you guys worried that by following such a format, the film will be accused of aping the success of Batman Begins? In which case it'll be nicknamed Superman Begins, and people will see it as merely adapting a successful formula, rather than standing on its own two feet. I want to see a Superman movie that's unique. But I've changed my opinion about the origin and now believe it's integral to a proper reboot.

But are you guys worried that by following such a format, the film will be accused of aping the success of Batman Begins? In which case it'll be nicknamed Superman Begins, and people will see it as merely adapting a successful formula, rather than standing on its own two feet. I want to see a Superman movie that's unique. But I've changed my opinion about the origin and now believe it's integral to a proper reboot.

I completely get where your coming from... But it really doesn't bother me.

It is going to have similarities. It's written by the same guy, and the Batman Begins style of origin proved very succesful. People will make their Superman Begins comments.

But it is also a very very different story.

Just because both films have a similar approach to the structure, doesn't mean it will be a 'copy' of Batman Begins.

And even if it is a bit of a mirror in places, it won't bother me if it's a good film because of it.

Superman is what will make it unique.

Not making sure the structure is different to Batman Begins.

Last edited:
I don't know I keep going back and forth on this.....the reason being though I enjoy finding out as we go, I think it takes you out in some way if we get flashbacks....though I'll keep an open mind

Leave the Krypton and Smallville scenes as flashbacks and actually start with Clark Kent getting hired by the Daily Planet, the audience already knows Supes origin and plus it gets to the action quicker I know Donner's STM is heralded by fans and I love the movie too but sometimes I find the first 40 minutes or so boring.

Leave the Krypton and Smallville scenes as flashbacks and actually start with Clark Kent getting hired by the Daily Planet, the audience already knows Supes origin and plus it gets to the action quicker I know Donner's STM is heralded by fans and I love the movie too but sometimes I find the first 40 minutes or so boring.

I see what your what your saying, but from the pics were getting of smallville the oil rig and Russel and Shannon talking about fighting on krypton.....I think it's safe to say it's not gonna be boring...:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"