Doctor Strange News & Speculation thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a question about the movie. Do we know when it's set? Is it set in real time or is it set in the past? Just asking because of the Captain America: TWS Easter Egg. I mean if he was just a lowly surgeon in TWS, how would he be a threat to Hydra? Would the movie be set in the past so that when we see Strange again for Infinity War, he's more of an established sorcerer?
I'm sure there has to do something with Eye of Agamotto seeing as it's supposed to be the time stone

I got a question about the movie. Do we know when it's set? Is it set in real time or is it set in the past? Just asking because of the Captain America: TWS Easter Egg. I mean if he was just a lowly surgeon in TWS, how would he be a threat to Hydra? Would the movie be set in the past so that when we see Strange again for Infinity War, he's more of an established sorcerer?
if Doctor Strange is an origin story, why was Steven Strange mentioned as one of the dangerous people on Hydra's radar in Captain America: The Winter Soldier? Feige has an answer for that as well, though it almost raises more questions on its own. "He is very well-known as a surgeon," Feige explained. "He has got various awards and plaques you're going to see over there; he attends various galas, might be driving at one point in this movie. He has name recognition and a talent and certain Hydra computers identified him as somebody that could cause trouble for their agendas."
source: http://www.newsarama.com/31226-doct...r-voodoo-very-different-wong-baron-mordo.html

That TV spot was great and so are the new posters.

To be fair, if Strange came out before Inception everyone would be saying the opposite.
You think the Doctor Strange movie would look like this if Inception never happened? I am hyped for this movie, but lets be real.

Got my tickets for the 15-minute IMAX 3D screening. Was the movie partially filmed with actual IMAX cameras?

To be fair, if Strange came out before Inception everyone would be saying the opposite.

Yea, because... like... it would make sense?
3.gif

This Grace's video sums it up nicely, it's not only Inception rip-off, it's a Nolan rip-off. And I'm a huge proponent of being inspired by other art, that's natural way of creating art, but this is beyond inspiration level, it's a copying.

For production this big, I would try to find some more original visual language than just ripping off some very well known visual style from an immensely popular film so blatantly. The posters, the city bending, the hotel corridor fight effect, where Strange slips because street rotates, I mean WTF? Plus the Batman Begins stuff...
th_rolleyes.gif

They can do anything thanks to their budget and fact that IT'S MAGIC, they can go wild, yet they just do this? It feels *strange*...
71.gif
3.gif

I didnt know Chris nolan invented Kaleidescape effects and traveling to the himalayas to better yourself. He must've invented super heroes movies and comic books too.

Oh, please. People use other artists ideas all the time. The Inception stuff is much ado about nothing. Hell, if it's Marvel most Nolan-esque movie then that's a win IMO.

I didnt know Chris nolan invented Kaleidescape effects and traveling to the himalayas to better yourself. He must've invented super heroes movies and comic books too.

Straw man AND red herring, nice.

Some of the Inception comments...SMDH.

Yeah like Nolan is such an original creator and absolutely did not rip off Paprika, Dark City or even Heat.

Let me spell this out for ya ''WITHOUT INCEPTION THERE WOULD BE PAPRIKA WITHOUT PAPRIKA THERE WOULD BE DARK CITY''. My point is there would always be an inspiration to borrow elements from other cinematic showings. Heck that's not all they showed. That's just tip of the iceberg. And FYI...Strange is holding back a lot of footage for a reason and the little they did show was FAR, I mean FAR superior to Inception not only in scope but in depth too. But that's Nolan for ya and why I was disappointed with most of his films including Inception where he didn't dream big enough. At least wait for the film before you're going to say such nonsense. Might as well complain and shout after every comic book trailer that it's just like any other comic book trailer just because of the genre and the basic concept. It gets really TEDIOUS to read the same ish over and over and over again. We get it, you think it looks like Inception. We've been over this for what half a year now ? Can we focus on the other things ? You're not being original here too. A million people have said the same before you. At least be original with your comment.

Last edited:
Christopher Nolan cited Paprika as a key influence on Inception in an interview with Empire magazine.

3.gif

This Grace's video sums it up nicely, it's not only Inception rip-off, it's a Nolan rip-off. And I'm a huge proponent of being inspired by other art, that's natural way of creating art, but this is beyond inspiration level, it's a copying.

For production this big, I would try to find some more original visual language than just ripping off some very well known visual style from an immensely popular film so blatantly. The posters, the city bending, the hotel corridor fight effect, where Strange slips because street rotates, I mean WTF? Plus the Batman Begins stuff...
th_rolleyes.gif

They can do anything thanks to their budget and fact that IT'S MAGIC, they can go wild, yet they just do this? It feels *strange*...
71.gif
3.gif

I can see the point regarding the Inception-style visuals, but Batman Begins "borrowed" from Mister Doctor, who traveled to a mysterious Asian country seeking his life's purpose way back in 1963.

I like the Inception on steroids look. I do understand if people were expecting more Ditko and less Nolan in a Doc Strange film.

So would you agree that Inception 'copied' Paprika? They're visually similar sure, copying is a stretch

And using a Grace Randolph video to try and prove a point is kinda laughable

Has she ever not been a totally objectionable moron?

This shouldn't even be a question as it was explained in TWS that the algorithm targets people who are a threat now and ones who currently aren't but could be in the future.

You think the Doctor Strange movie would look like this if Inception never happened? I am hyped for this movie, but lets be real.

:up: the influence is clear, but to me that's not a bad thing.

I like the Inception on steroids look. I do understand if people were expecting more Ditko and less Nolan in a Doc Strange film.

Derrickson said Ditko was the main influence for the movie.

This last spot/trailer was quite good. I've been cautiosly optimistic, but I'm starting to get my hopes up. Mister Doctor's strange name was great.

And I really like that we're getting a Marvel movie late in the year. People are working or studying. TDW didn't set the greatest precedent, but special fun like this is very welcome.

Any of you guys watch Marvel's Agent's Of Shield as a pretty big magical artifact got name dropped on this week's episode

The Darkhold grimoire (dark spell book counterpart to Doctor Strange White magic Book of the Vishanti).

The ancient one and the sorcerers of Kamar-Taj must of seriously screwed up to let the Darkhold fall into the wrong hands as it is the most powerful dark magic book in the Marvel Universe.

I can see the point regarding the Inception-style visuals, but Batman Begins "borrowed" from Mister Doctor, who traveled to a mysterious Asian country seeking his life's purpose way back in 1963.

Please, I doubt that Goyer was looking at Doctor Strange comics to find inspiration for Batman :funny:

Well, comparisons were unavoidable. Inception was a very visually distinctive sci-fi. And skyscraper-bending stuff is strongly associated with it.

Still, I don't think it will matter much in the end. I bet there are more tricks in the movie, than abstract cityscapes. But it's not the most important thing.

I hope there's good chemistry between actors, and especially Cumberbatch and McAdams.

Please, I doubt that Goyer was looking at Doctor Strange comics to find inspiration for Batman :funny:
Batman Begins borrowed strongly from stories, that possibly borrowed from Strange. Year One, for example.

Derrickson said Ditko was the main influence for the movie.

Oh ok. I have not seen much Ditko stuff in the trailers, maybe they are saving that for the film.I like that they are holding back on new footage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"