Reaction score
DOCTOR VOODOO: AVENGER OF THE SUPERNATURAL #1
Written by RICK REMENDER
Penciled by TO BE REVEALED AT SDCC
Cover by MARKO DJURDJEVIC
Variant Cover by BILLY TAN

marvels-october-releases-preview-20090720024712056.jpg
marvels-october-releases-preview-20090720024704134.jpg

Launching from the pages of New Avengers, Jericho Drumm assumes the role of Marvel's new Sorcerer Supreme as DOCTOR VOODOO! Having foreseen an unimaginable evil that will soon envelop the Marvel Universe, the Eye of Agamotto has passed the mantle of Sorcerer Supreme on to the one man who has the unique gifts to stave off the coming darkness -- but is Doctor Voodoo ready for the momentous duty as avenger of the supernatural? As Jericho begins to grapple with his colossal new position, malevolent beings of vast power see his arrival as an opportunity to strike.

Rising stars Rick Remender (PUNISHER) and *ARTIST TO BE REVEALED AT SDCC* crack open a new chapter in the Book of Vishanti to tell the ongoing adventures of the new Sorcerer Supreme in the Mighty Marvel fashion!
32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

Well, I know this thread may get a lot of hate because it seems over here it's pretty cool to hate on this guy but I can't be the only one excited about this new book. I'm a big Brother Voodoo fan and can't wait to see what gets developed with him. I've been reading all his old issues where he first appeared on Strange Tales all those years back and been having a blast.

Jericho Drumm's a great character and has potential to be worked on given that there aren't definitive stories with him yet. He has a great hook and the religion of vodou is amazing and vast. One of the abilities that Voodoo has is the ability to communicate with the Loas of Vodou for help and guidance. With the different Loas out there combined with the skills he has already brings a great dynamic and great possible ideas for stories. The stories of the Loas themselves in the regular Vodou religion are all very interesting and appealing and could bring many things to the table that casual Marvel readers aren't used to. Then you have the fact that his twin brother is practically a ghost who follows him around and is the second half of him as together they make up the overall hero.

A big thing with the character also is the fact that he's a psychiatrist who previously hated the vodou lifestyle. This could also bring great conflict of whether he wishes to continue with this lifestyle or not and could bring great tension with him and his brother.

People just need to give the guy a chance before debunking what they could do with him. If you've read enough of the character and do a bit of research on vodou, the Loas, etc, you'd know there's easy ways to have him stand on his own without being a black Dr. Strange.

You could say the same thing about Jar Jar Binks, and I'd have about the same reaction.:whatever:

I want to pick this book up but then there is the voice telling me that this could have been a Dr. Strange book. Oh right Strange lost all sense of magic. Lets just forget the fact that he was the greatest sorcerer before he took up the title of Sorcerer Supreme.

And can away tell me why exactly Strange lost the title and somehow his powers?

You could say the same thing about Jar Jar Binks, and I'd have about the same reaction.:whatever:

And exactly what's wrong with Brother Voodoo to be compared to a character like Jar Jar Binks? Have you read any issues with him in it?

I want to pick this book up but then there is the voice telling me that this could have been a Dr. Strange book. Oh right Strange lost all sense of magic. Lets just forget the fact that he was the greatest sorcerer before he took up the title of Sorcerer Supreme.

And can away tell me why exactly Strange lost the title and somehow his powers?

It's not as if Strange isn't going to get the title back sooner or later. Here's a chance to push up an obscure character and hopefully tell different types of stories with him but people can't seem to accept a change of scenery. Besides, Voodoo and Strange are two different types of characters with different types of usage of magic.

Strange is also in this book helping Voodoo out and a main focus of the stories are suppose to be their differences of how they work.

And exactly what's wrong with Brother Voodoo to be compared to a character like Jar Jar Binks? Have you read any issues with him in it?

He a walking ethnic stereotype. Yes they tried to dress it up by starting with a legitimate... day job, but he's still a joke.

He a walking ethnic stereotype. Yes they tried to dress it up by starting with a legitimate... day job, but he's still a joke.

He was a character they decided to wanted to be a Haitian houngan due to the voodoo craze going on at the time. So why not create him? Same as Luke Cage and a good other various ethnic characters. I don't see why not trying to use a character and trying to give him potentially good stories when the character himself is a good character.

And what's wrong with a Haitian character involved in Voodoo? It's a legit religion that some Haitians, including others of different backgrounds, practice.

He was a character they decided to wanted to be a Haitian houngan due to the voodoo craze going on at the time. So why not create him? Same as Luke Cage and a good other various ethnic characters. I don't see why not trying to use a character and trying to give him potentially good stories when the character himself is a good character.

And what's wrong with a Haitian character involved in Voodoo? It's a legit religion that some Haitians, including others of different backgrounds, practice.

Cage has grown to a more well rounded character. He's no longer wearing the tiarra and the low cut shirt. Voodo is still wearing tight pants and a tacky V thing that may act as suspenders.

Cage has grown to a more well rounded character. He's no longer wearing the tiarra and the low cut shirt. Voodo is still wearing tight pants and a tacky V thing that may act as suspenders.

To be fair, most superheroes still wear tight pants.

And judging by the covers the V-thing is now in the fabric of the costume.

Having said that, this is interesting, but I'd rather Vaughan just write more Doc Strange stories than try and mix it all up, again.

I just want to know when Brother Voodoo had time to go to medical school.

I wish it would be more of a "Brother Voodoo" book that would focus on the supernatural stuff like zvumbies and other cool creepy Haitian stuff...

Methinks that the bigger stuff we've seen with Dr. Strange might be outta place with Jericho... at least to me... he's like the Marvel equivalent to John Constantine, and needs his book more low-key horror...

That's what I'd prefer to see... :o

I wish it would be more of a "Brother Voodoo" book that would focus on the supernatural stuff like zvumbies and other cool creepy Haitian stuff...

Methinks that the bigger stuff we've seen with Dr. Strange might be outta place with Jericho... at least to me... he's like the Marvel equivalent to John Constantine, and needs his book more low-key horror...

That's what I'd prefer to see... :o

Oh yes! Most definitely, this I highly agree with. That's the type of thought I have for a Brother Voodoo series with some very dark, low-key art, sorta like Leonardo Manco's art in Constantine or maybe even art by Ashley Wood.

Eh, I've always been indifferent to Brother Voodoo. Now that he's Sorcerer Supreme, i'm still indifferent. I'm more concerned with how fast he was able to grow the dreads.

Eh, I've always been indifferent to Brother Voodoo. Now that he's Sorcerer Supreme, i'm still indifferent. I'm more concerned with how fast he was able to grow the dreads.

:woot:

The dilemma is that Marvel is launching a series about a D-List character with a price tag of $4 to kick it off. They are relying entirely on his new pub from NEW AVENGERS to generate into WOLVERINE: WEAPON X style results. As cool or not as Voodoo is, launching it at $4 won't help matters. Contrary to belief, not everyone reads NEW AVENGERS, and those that still do after that book is $4 may not be interested enough in Dr. Voodoo to give his book a try for the same price considering Bendis isn't even co-writing it (as he seemingly is with SECRET WARRIORS).

Now, NEW AVENGERS has been able to launch some characters modestly. Sentry, Spider-Woman, even Iron Fist to some degree have all benefited from it with launches of mini's or ongoings. That said, they weren't $4. Heck, IMMORTAL IRON FIST's sales have always been modest.

I have nothing against Voodoo or Rick Remender. For $3 I might have given it a try if the week was a low week. For, say, $2.75 as a "special try out our debut" offer, much as DC's Vertigo is doing with all their new #1 issues being a dollar lately, I'd give it a go. But for $4? It has to get "knock your socks off" INCREDIBLE HERCULES style reviews for me to bother. The same with Jason Aaron on WOLVERINE: WEAPON X. I'm sure it's a perfectly fine series, because Aaron is a fine writer. But for $4 an issue? No.

I've always thought that the object of a #1 issue should be to encourage as many people to try out the book as possible. If the debut issue is brilliant then it should attract people. Making debut issues $4 is backward. It only encourages the hardcore fan to buy, when they should be encouraging people to try it regardless. "Impulse buy", anyone?

Selling a new WOLVERINE launch at $4 is cynical, but he is an A-List character. Same with a new Bendis book, he's their top writer. But DOCTOR VOODOO? Jeez, give a man a break!

I do like his new outfit, though.

The dilemma is that Marvel is launching a series about a D-List character with a price tag of $4 to kick it off. They are relying entirely on his new pub from NEW AVENGERS to generate into WOLVERINE: WEAPON X style results. As cool or not as Voodoo is, launching it at $4 won't help matters. Contrary to belief, not everyone reads NEW AVENGERS, and those that still do after that book is $4 may not be interested enough in Dr. Voodoo to give his book a try for the same price considering Bendis isn't even co-writing it (as he seemingly is with SECRET WARRIORS).

Now, NEW AVENGERS has been able to launch some characters modestly. Sentry, Spider-Woman, even Iron Fist to some degree have all benefited from it with launches of mini's or ongoings. That said, they weren't $4. Heck, IMMORTAL IRON FIST's sales have always been modest.

I have nothing against Voodoo or Rick Remender. For $3 I might have given it a try if the week was a low week. For, say, $2.75 as a "special try out our debut" offer, much as DC's Vertigo is doing with all their new #1 issues being a dollar lately, I'd give it a go. But for $4? It has to get "knock your socks off" INCREDIBLE HERCULES style reviews for me to bother. The same with Jason Aaron on WOLVERINE: WEAPON X. I'm sure it's a perfectly fine series, because Aaron is a fine writer. But for $4 an issue? No.

I've always thought that the object of a #1 issue should be to encourage as many people to try out the book as possible. If the debut issue is brilliant then it should attract people. Making debut issues $4 is backward. It only encourages the hardcore fan to buy, when they should be encouraging people to try it regardless. "Impulse buy", anyone?

Selling a new WOLVERINE launch at $4 is cynical, but he is an A-List character. Same with a new Bendis book, he's their top writer. But DOCTOR VOODOO? Jeez, give a man a break!

I do like his new outfit, though.

See, this explanation I can understand and believe is a very good reason why it may be hard to try out this book. Sadly, the price will in fact affect this book with all the price hikes, I can only hope it doesn't remain this price as I realized even New Avengers has stayed at this price recently.

But yeah, over at marvel.com, Palo speaks about the book...

http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.8905.SDCC_2009~colon~_Jefte_Palo_on_Doctor_Voodoo

Gaaaaahhhh....

I hate to say this, but I think I'm going to try this book out...

:o

The name Doctor Voodoo sounds like something from Till Death Us Do Part (look up Alf Garnett if you have no idea what I'm on about).

Honestly, Doctor Voodoo just sounds some kind of slurr.

Heh, I just realized it's "Doctor" Voodoo. Wow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"