Doctor Voodoo: Avenger of the Supernatural

Well, the Punisher's still in one piece but both Ketch and Blaze are there in their current Ghost Rider modes, so I imagine it's characters from various different times and/or dimensions.

The Crew had 7 issues :o

I liked The Crew...

"...There is no such thing as a hero, only brief shining moments of valor from men and women who endeavor against instinct to overcome great terror. Jericho will have to earn his reputation."

Eh, I don't know about that. Seems like an odd statement from someone writing superhero stories for Marvel Comics. I heard him hawking this series in a podcast interview some months ago, and being a fan of some of his other stuff, I really thought he might pull this off. Now, I just think it was a bad idea from the very beginning.

Doctor Strange doesn't need a break, or a revamp, or a replacement. He needs to go back to the basic elements, and just build from there.

Me too, and I believe that we are about it. :o

I loved it. It's the main reason I couldn't stand the recent War Machine series. Rhodey's been done so much better in stuff like The Crew. Not to mention Josiah X was one of the most interesting characters that went absolutely nowhere ever.

Rick Remender's "Voodoo" Nightmare

jf7p01.jpg

In Remender's eyes, "Doctor Voodoo" has been about both establishing Jericho Drumm as the Marvel Universe's new Sorcerer Supreme and reestablishing Nightmare as a major threat to the denizens of the MU. "I've always liked the character, and I wanted to find a way to sort of define what it is that he does. My approach to that was to imagine him as a force in the Marvel Universe called 'The Unreal,'" Remender explained. "I coined the term 'The Unreal' for Nightmare because he's sort of powered and given meaning through the subconscious mind of humanity. So those aspects are unreal, but in the fun, mystical world of the Marvel Universe, he exists. They bring him life.
"When he comes to Earth, and we'll start to see more of this, there are some laws and limitations as to how things work," Remender continued. "I'll be establishing them throughout the arc, and I think it will make for a nice reveal at the end when you see what's been weaved together and how Jericho Drumm deals with it. Whether or not he's successful - wait and find out."

In order to get his shot at defeating Nightmare's invasion of Earth, Drumm is going to have to wrestle both his personal and literal demons. Remender recently revealed in "Doctor Voodoo" #3 that Nightmare has been using Drumm to implement his plan to conquer the waking world. "One of the things I wanted to do was make Nightmare a Jericho Drumm villain. Some of the things I'm adding to Drumm's mythology and character stem from Nightmare's manipulations," Remender explained. "Jericho has this self-doubt, trauma and fear that he tries to suppress, but since it's part of his subconscious mind, Nightmare has control and power over him. He's been manipulating Jericho in his sleep and has been using him to set up a lot of what's going on."

In Remender's eyes, "Doctor Voodoo" has been about both establishing Jericho Drumm as the Marvel Universe's new Sorcerer Supreme and reestablishing Nightmare as a major threat to the denizens of the MU. "I've always liked the character, and I wanted to find a way to sort of define what it is that he does. My approach to that was to imagine him as a force in the Marvel Universe called 'The Unreal,'" Remender explained. "I coined the term 'The Unreal' for Nightmare because he's sort of powered and given meaning through the subconscious mind of humanity. So those aspects are unreal, but in the fun, mystical world of the Marvel Universe, he exists. They bring him life.
"When he comes to Earth, and we'll start to see more of this, there are some laws and limitations as to how things work," Remender continued. "I'll be establishing them throughout the arc, and I think it will make for a nice reveal at the end when you see what's been weaved together and how Jericho Drumm deals with it. Whether or not he's successful - wait and find out."

In order to get his shot at defeating Nightmare's invasion of Earth, Drumm is going to have to wrestle both his personal and literal demons. Remender recently revealed in "Doctor Voodoo" #3 that Nightmare has been using Drumm to implement his plan to conquer the waking world. "One of the things I wanted to do was make Nightmare a Jericho Drumm villain. Some of the things I'm adding to Drumm's mythology and character stem from Nightmare's manipulations," Remender explained. "Jericho has this self-doubt, trauma and fear that he tries to suppress, but since it's part of his subconscious mind, Nightmare has control and power over him. He's been manipulating Jericho in his sleep and has been using him to set up a lot of what's going on."

"In issue #3, the Ghost Riders and the Hood showed up, and now all these supernatural characters who were once candidates for the title of Sorcerer Supreme have been infected by The Unreal. Nightmare is amassing them into an army that Jericho is going to have to do his best to defeat."

Before Jericho is able to face Nightmare's forces, he must break free from the dream demon's influence. In the final scene of "Doctor Voodoo" #3, Jericho had been infected by The Unreal, so it looks as though when issue #4 hits stores on January 20th, that both waking world's salvation and the title of Sorcerer Supreme will be in the hands of the ghost of Jericho's brother, Daniel Drumm.

"I don't want to give away too much in regards to that," Remender said. "There's a lot of fun zigs and zags, but I didn't want Daniel to just be a supporting cast member. He's an important character, and in issue #4 we see him taking on a big role, as Jericho has succumbed to Nightmare's influence. I think that's important. Daniel was the Houngan Supreme before Jericho, so when I was working out the beats and figuring out the plot, I got to the end of the second act of the series and it made sense to put Daniel in the spotlight. I had a real natural way to do it, knowing that Jericho was going to get taken out of the equation in issue #3."

Gosh darn, I love this book. Fantastic issue. Writing was great and the art was amazing. I'm extremely glad Remender decided to write Daniel as a character than just a device for Jericho. He plays a fantastic part in showing the different sides of Jericho and helping him establish himself as a character. Great to see Jericho finally giving into his inner strength to finally accept his new mantle. Now for the long awaited Doom team up.
icon_twisted.gif

Man, anyone has a scan of that beautiful last page?!? :woot:

And man, I really wonder how the meeting between Doom and Daniel went down. I'm pretty sure it happened during the long absence where Jericho was gone in that other realm.

Darn it, I really wish we got to see the Loas. Aw well, hopefully at another time. And I wanna see the true Damballah, not that Zobop.

Last and not least, we doesn't love those nightmares of the superheroes? Hilarious. :woot:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"