Doctor Who - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't do it for me.

I much prefer not knowing what's coming. So much so that I rarely watch commercials previewing episodes.

I've even tried an entire series knowing nothing going in except the basic premise.

I like going into a story un-spoiled, then going over the story again with the spoilers in mind. If done right, it makes the ironic twists more amazing while also adding rewatch/reread value to the story.

In the case of murder mysteries, I hate spoilers. I finished The Murder of Roger Ackroyd a while back, and going over 10,000 different theories of who did it and why in my head was half the fun. In the end, I still didn't see it coming.

Or that girl. I'll never tell.

I like going into a story un-spoiled, then going over the story again with the spoilers in mind. If done right, it makes the ironic twists more amazing while also adding rewatch/reread value to the story.

*coughseason5cough* :awesome:

Seriously, the reveal at the end of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was one of Christie's best. I wouldn't feel right saying who dun it.

I will say this: it wasn't the butler. I always suspect the butler, and it's never him.

Just rewatching "The Eleventh Hour" after seeing the finale is a treat, let alone the rest of the series/season.

"Why aren't there any ducks?"

"I don't know. There's never any ducks."

"Then how do you know it's a duck pond?"

And that's one of the blatant clues. Then you get stuff like the unseen figure walking around Amelia's kitchen after the Doctor leaves.

So a study is going to tell me that I'm wrong about my personal preferences? A single study at that, which I'm sure if I wanted to, I could pick apart flaws in? :doh:

No, I've intentionally spoiled myself on stories before and it does. Just because some study says it doesn't for some people doesn't equate to all people. Although it is true that outside of books, movies or stories, I absolutely detest surprises.

Yeah, there's nothing like watching/reading a story for the first time and not knowing whats about to happen. It's a shame that with the internet and my own weak will power this doesn't happen often. Though Doctor Who are usually very good at keeping secrets. The dalek's appearances in Bad Wolf AND Army of Ghosts, the master in utopia, the doctor's shock "regeneration" in the stolen earth (cheap but effective) and Amy being a ganger all left me with my jaw to the floor and the stories as a whole would have been considerably less effective had I known beforehand.

Yeah, there's nothing like watching/reading a story for the first time and not knowing whats about to happen. It's a shame that with the internet and my own weak will power this doesn't happen often. Though Doctor Who are usually very good at keeping secrets. The dalek's appearances in Bad Wolf AND Army of Ghosts, the master in utopia, the doctor's shock "regeneration" in the stolen earth (cheap but effective) and Amy being a ganger all left me with my jaw to the floor and the stories as a whole would have been considerably less effective had I known beforehand.

I think my favorite surprise has still been the little girl's regeneration at the end of Day of the Moon. The way they did it too, as soon as her hands start glowing, I totally flipped out.

^ I forgot that one! Totally shocking. Less a twist or surprise and more of a total WTF moment.

Boy, I'm really glad Doctor Who starts up again this weekend, because I'm just about out of patience with the tedious, ham-handed, over-long Torchwood: Miracle Day. :cmad:

I haven't gotten to the new season of Torchwood yet....I figured I would eventually but it wouldn't help my Doctor Who fix I need to live.

Boy, I'm really glad Doctor Who starts up again this weekend, because I'm just about out of patience with the tedious, ham-handed, over-long Torchwood: Miracle Day. :cmad:

I'm even madder that Jack hasn't seen the new Doc :cmad:.

Massive spoilers!

Radio Time's full episode guide to the last six episodes lists the finale's title as "The Wedding of River Song"

Some lines revealed

“I don’t want to marry you.”
”I don’t want to murder you.”

Episode 12 is called "Closing Time"

Last edited:
I haven't been watching Torchwood this year at all. I don't have the channel it comes on, so I'm waiting for the DVD or something like that.

I've been maintaining my sanity throughout this hiatus by watching Classic Who episodes and re-listening to my audios. I'm in the middle of listening to "Zagreus" aka "Every character you've ever loved, playing a different character."

I'm getting annoyed with the utter stupidity in the new series of Torchwood. Some of it is ok, but then it does something thats just so utterly stupid it annoys me. It's had about 4 episodes out of 7 that woulc have been cut out with ease since they had, as far as I could tell, nothing to do with the over all plot, which is wandering around in a feild somewhere waiting to be put down.

The main failing point of the new series is the fact that they've failed to make me care about the new characters. I just want to see more of PC Andy, he's always fun to see. Plus he shot someone in the head...

Massive spoilers!

Radio Time's full episode guide to the last six episodes lists the finale's title as "The Wedding of River Song"

Some lines revealed

“I don’t want to marry you.”
”I don’t want to murder you.”

Episode 12 is called "Closing Time"

65x5b7.jpg
I wasn't sure whether I wanted to open this spoiler but I accidentally quoted it and it revealed the contents anyway LOL. Interesting. I'll be getting RT tomorrow.

Also
Torchwood is absolutely pants now. It's taken the fun of the first two series, the seriousness and intelligence of COE and the great character of Jack and just thrown them out of the window. The conclusion better be satisfying or I'm going to be miffed.

I'm getting annoyed with the utter stupidity in the new series of Torchwood. Some of it is ok, but then it does something thats just so utterly stupid it annoys me. It's had about 4 episodes out of 7 that woulc have been cut out with ease since they had, as far as I could tell, nothing to do with the over all plot, which is wandering around in a feild somewhere waiting to be put down.

The main failing point of the new series is the fact that they've failed to make me care about the new characters. I just want to see more of PC Andy, he's always fun to see. Plus he shot someone in the head...
Torchwood thread - http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=349703&page=6

Can't believe the UK doesn't get the new episode till September 3rd :(

Are the new episodes on BBC America going to be synced with the UK again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"