Guardians of the Galaxy Does "not taking place in this galaxy" spell doom for this movie?

Um...except the comics.

Oh, so every Marvel movie so far has shown the origin of the central hero just like in the comics?

That's right, none of them have. These movies are inspired by the comics, some thematic stuff and set pieces are copied as closely as possible but none of them pull exact origin stories right from a comics. None of them have, none of them will. Why is Guardians any different?

Last edited:
Oh, so every Marvel movie so far has shown the origin of the central hero just like in the comics?

That's right, none of them have. These movies are inspired by the comics, some thematic stuff and set pieces are copied as closely as possible but none of them pull exact origin stories right from a comics. None of them have, none of them will. Why is Guardians any different?
First of all, a synopsis was already released calling Star-Lord a pilot who ends up in space, so that ends this debate of him not being from Earth right there.

Second, you don't know what you're talking about. Every Marvel movie has followed the basic origin of the hero.

Iron Man is an arrogant rich guy who gets captured by bad guys and busts out by building a suit of armor with the help of Yinsen.

Thor is an arrogant god who is banished to Earth by Odin and stripped of his powers to learn humility, the only part they left out was the Donald Blake bit, which they put an easter egg in for.

Captain America is a weak boy who is chosen to undergo the Super Soldier experiment for his courage during WWII and ends up frozen in the bottom of the sea until people from the present find him.

Bruce Banner is a scientist who bombards himself with gamma rays and turns into a giant green monster at the behest of the US military.

Black Widow was formally a bad person who used her skill set for ill-purposes (and probably worked for the Russian government though I'm not sure if that's confirmed) and is turned to good through her interactions with Hawkeye.

The stories in which their origin takes place are spliced and told differently but the origins themselves remain the same.

The basic origin for Star-Lord is a half-human, half-alien kid who becomes a NASA pilot and winds up in space. Deal with it.

Last edited:
First of all, a synopsis was already released calling Star-Lord a pilot who ends up in space, so that ends this debate of him not being from Earth right there.

Second, you don't know what you're talking about. Every Marvel movie has followed the basic origin of the hero.

Iron Man is an arrogant rich guy who gets captured by bad guys and busts out by building a suit of armor with the help of Yinsen.

Thor is an arrogant god who is banished to Earth by Odin and stripped of his powers to learn humility, the only part they left out was the Donald Blake bit, which they put an easter egg in for.

Captain America is a weak boy who is chosen to undergo the Super Soldier experiment for his courage during WWII and ends up frozen in the bottom of the sea until people from the present find him.

Bruce Banner is a scientist who bombards himself with gamma rays and turns into a giant green monster at the behest of the US military.

Black Widow was formally a bad person who used her skill set for ill-purposes (and probably worked for the Russian government though I'm not sure if that's confirmed) and is turned to good through her interactions with Hawkeye.

The stories in which their origin takes place are spliced and told differently but the origins themselves remain the same.

The basic origin for Star-Lord is a half-human, half-alien kid who becomes a NASA pilot and winds up in space. Deal with it.

1) That wasn't a synopsis that was a logline. No synopsis has been released

You want to drop comics knowledge? Here ya go:

2) Tony wasn't an arrogant playboy. Ten Rings didn't have anything to do with capturing him. Neither did Stane. Tony didn't meet Rhodey till after the accident.

3) Removing the Donald Blake persona was a huge difference. So was Loki's "turn" to evil.

4) Steve was a professional illustrator and comic book artist who tried to enlist. He was also tall and lanky and suffered from polio. Gen. Philips recruits him NOT BECAUSE OF HIS COURAGE but because he was physically weak.

5) Banner was an Army scientist who got trapped in a desert testing ground when a gamma bomb went off. He was trying to save a young kid named Rick Jones.

6) Absolutely nothing like the comics whatsoever

7) Wrong. Go read the comics, not Wikipedia pages.

The origins for all the characters have thus far been modified to fit the needs of the MCU. Same thing will happen with Guardians and ever other movie after.

Again, go read the comics because you don't know what you sound ignorant.

Last edited:
1) That wasn't a synopsis that was a logline. No synopsis has been released
Don't be specific with this, it doesn't matter. It said he's a pilot who winds up in space. Case closed.

You want to drop comics knowledge? Here ya go:
If you're going to drop "comics knowledge" on me then next time please don't nit pick at minor differences. I said the basic origin and you know what that means.

2) Tony wasn't an arrogant playboy. Ten Rings didn't have anything to do with capturing him. Neither did Stane. Tony didn't meet Rhodey till after the accident.

3) Removing the Donald Blake persona was a huge difference. So was Loki's "turn" to evil.

4) Steve was a professional illustrator and comic book artist who tried to enlist. He was also tall and lanky and suffered from polio. Gen. Philips recruits him NOT BECAUSE OF HIS COURAGE but because he was physically weak.

5) Banner was an Army scientist who got trapped in a desert testing ground when a gamma bomb went off. He was trying to save a young kid named Rick Jones.

6) Absolutely nothing like the comics whatsoever

7) Wrong. Go read the comics, not Wikipedia pages.

The origins for all the characters have thus far been modified to fit the needs of the MCU. Same thing will happen with Guardians and ever other movie after.

Again, go read the comics because you don't know what you sound ignorant.
None of this matters. I was talking about the basic origin, which is the same as what I said. I even said in the post itself that the way the story in which the origin is told is spliced and different from the comics but the origin itself remains the same. Which it did.

To break it down further for you: did I call Tony an arrogant playboy? No, I called him an arrogant rich guy, which he is and was in the comics. The Ten Rings are the "bad guys" of the films, same concept as the origin from the comics. Rhodey is totally irrelevant to what I am talking about. Thor's origin is the same basic concept from the comics, them taking out Donald Blake (which they did not want to do in the film for obvious reasons) does not change the fact that 95% of the BASIC ORIGIN CONCEPT is the same. Loki is totally irrelevant to what I am talking about. Everything you said about Cap is completely irrelevant to what I am talking about. Them taking minor details does not change the basic origin of the character, which is what I stated it was. As for Cap being chosen because he is physically weak and not because of his courage, maybe you should rewatch the film because that is also a reason he chose Steve and says so specifically while they are sitting on the bed talking to each other.

The only character you have a point on is the Hulk (admittedly I haven't read the old Hulk comics) but what you pointed out is again, micro details in the character's origin. It does not change that the basic origin of the character is being bombarded by gamma rays from something he was working on (he was building a gamma bomb) at the behest of the US government and turning into a green monster as a result.

And how is that nothing like the comics? She tricks Hawkeye into doing her ill-bidding and begins to fall in love with him while trying to leave the Soviet Union. The only reason she remained a villain for a time is because they captured and brain washed her. After she regained her senses she attempted to join the Avengers. If you don't believe me go and read the early issues of Avengers. And even if that were not the case, her origin is STILL a bad guy who defects and joins the good side (in the case of the MCU that is SHIELD).

And as you just said yourself they've been modified, not abandoned, so I don't understand what you're trying to argue for here. You're bringing up very minor contrivances that do nothing to disprove anything I said. The basic origin of the characters are the same, the stories are just spliced and told differently to fit the movies. You literally have nothing to argue with me with.

Again, the core origin story for Star-Lord is that he is a half-human, half-alien who becomes a pilot and ends up in space fighting aliens. That core story is not going to change. They may change certain aspects or details of it, but the core will be the very same...other than scenes and dialogue I'm not sure they'll even need to change anything since his origin was literally told in three pages. There isn't a whole lot to change or work around there except how he ends up in space.

Last edited:
they don't need any origin for GOTG, it should just cut in to them doing what they do. any pertinent background can be added pretty easily along the way for this bunch. I think this is a perfect one for Marvel to just leave some mystery in. you know? the characters are what they are, we don't really need to know nothing about them.
how much do we know about Han Solo? or Chewie, or Leia or Darth Vader or Obi Wan? in New Hope I mean. a couple sentences, sometimes nothing. you don't need all this explaining to do. if u do it right.

earlier poster said something interesting about how they were pretty sure this happens pre-Avengers, wondering why u think?

The problem with that is Drax and Gamora's backgrounds are tied to directly to Thanos thus being pertinent to the plot and it would be super weird to have this random human in space with no explanation as to why he is there.

They don't have to intimately explore their backgrounds but they have to, address them...although this is an origin of the team they might tell the backstories of Drax and Gamora through the situations they are in before Star-Lord assembles them.

earlier poster said something interesting about how they were pretty sure this happens pre-Avengers, wondering why u think?

After the events of The Avengers, Thanos' attention is focused on Loki and Earth. Guardians doesn't even take place in our Galaxy, so to have them deal with Thanos it would make more sense to set it before Avengers.

After all, Thanos doesn't appear to be in any place of power in The Avengers. Sure he has an army at his disposal but he's floating around on pieces of rock. That's no where for someone like him to be, so someone must have kicked him out of whatever regal place of power he had established. Which is what the Guardians movie could tell the story of.

It not you've got the Guardians taking Thanos' attention away from Earth/Loki post-Avengers and now the film makers have to find a way to bring the story focus back full circle for Avenger 2 (which is the next film folloing GOTG)

He might be trying to obtain possession of the Infinity Gems or be after something else in Guardians, you know. He might be planning his attack on Earth and figures he needs to gain possession of something only that other galaxy has.

I also don't take him floating on "rocks" as an indication of his power.

Star-Lord is definitely going to be from Earth. Why else would there be Earth scenes? I don't think this movie will pull a GL and have the climax take place on Earth. We're getting a finale set on space, hopefully with some space ship battles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"