Rogue One Donnie Yen is Chirrut Imwe in Rogue One

He is not Force Sensitive. They have emphasized this.

pop140.jpg

Last edited:
I thought the scene [BLACKOUT]where he walks to the control panel and all of the death trooper shots miss him[/BLACKOUT] was a sign that he may be force sensitive.

Last edited:
He was easily the best new human character in the film. I almost wish he was saved for one of the main movies like Episode VIII or IX.

I thought the scene [BLACKOUT]where he walks to the control panel and all of the death trooper shots miss him[/BLACKOUT] was a sign that he may be force sensitive.

They said from the get go he was a believer in the force, but he wasn't a Jedi or force wielder.

The Force is with me and I am one with the Force

I loved his character. I've been a fan of Yen for years and love the Zatoichi blind swordsman movies....so to have him as a "Force Warrior" was cool as hell.

*puts bag over his head*
"are you kidding me? I am blind"

got a HUGE reaction in the theaters :funny:

*puts bag over his head*
"are you kidding me? I am blind"

got a HUGE reaction in the theaters :funny:

Biggest laugh in the movie at my showing. :woot:

Donnie Yen in a Star Wars movie :hmr:

Never thought I'd see or deserve that level of awesome.

There was a lot of hype about Donnie, and he and the crew totally delivered. Chirrut and Baze's bromance is one of my favorite relationships in Star Wars.

Last edited:
I like Yen a lot and think he performed the role well, but I couldn't shake my dislike of how they treated the character.

I'm totally cool with (and looked forward to) a more faith-based view of the force, but I think they were too on the nose with their idea. "We've got an Asian guy playing someone who believes in a spiritual-like concept. Let's make him a staff-wielding, blind(!), kung fu monk!" It just felt disengenious, anachronistic and cliche for me.

I like Yen a lot and think he performed the role well, but I couldn't shake my dislike of how they treated the character.

I'm totally cool with (and looked forward to) a more faith-based view of the force, but I think they were too on the nose with their idea. "We've got an Asian guy playing someone who believes in a spiritual-like concept. Let's make him a staff-wielding, blind(!), kung fu monk!" It just felt disengenious, anachronistic and cliche for me.

It's been tried with a white guy (Rutger Hauer in BLIND FURY)....it just doesn't work as well that way.

It's been tried with a white guy (Rutger Hauer in BLIND FURY)....it just doesn't work as well that way.
Not entirely sure what you mean (I haven't seen that film).

I'm not against Yen being in the role (he was great with what he was given); I just wish they went with a better, less cliche depiction for that of a non-Jedi force believer.

Not entirely sure what you mean (I haven't seen that film).
Rutger Hauer is a blind swordsman living a simplistic semi-monastic life in modern day South Florida....it just didn't work for me as well as any of the blind Asian swordsman living a monastic life movies I have seen (and I have seen quite a few as well as the first season of a Zatoichi TV series)......

Rutger Hauer is a blind swordsman living a simplistic semi-monastic life in modern day South Florida....it just didn't work for me as well as any of the blind Asian swordsman living a monastic life movies I have seen (and I have seen quite a few as well as the first season of a Zatoichi TV series)......
Ok. I wasn't sure if you misinterpreted my post to say that Yen or his race was the issue with the character (it wasn't). Keep Yen, but go in a direction that fits the SW universe better and isn't a cliche.

A lot of the qualities in Chirrut were actually added at Donnie's suggestion. It was his idea to make Chirrut blind, for example.

Chirrut being blind was Donnie's idea.
http://screenrant.com/star-wars-rogue-one-donnie-yen-chirrut-imwe-blind/

A lot of the qualities in Chirrut were actually added at Donnie's suggestion. It was his idea to make Chirrut blind, for example.

Doesn't change my feeling on the topic at all, though that was the least of my issues as it gave us the "really?! I'm blind!" bag over the head joke, at least. I only emphasized it in my post as yet another checked item in the "make a cliche monk Kung Fu master" list.

I think it's more of an homage than a cliche. Star Wars has always been heavily influenced by Kurosawa and other Samurai films. It's recognizing the importance of these films.

Yeah, that's how I looked at it too. I can see why people found it stereotypical but I see it more as Star Wars just acknowledging its influences and doing a better job of paying homage to them (i.e., casting an Asian martial arts star and actor versus another white guy).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"