Doom Patrol Doom Patrol - Season 1 Discussion

That sounds plausible but this recent twist does have its roots in the comic books since in Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol run it was revealed that Niles purposefully orchestrated the incidents that lead to them getting their powers

Can't wait for the finale. Fingers crossed for a renewal.

Well, Beast Boy belongs to the "Titans" continuity.

I just can't figure how did Caulder manage to "orchestrate" the incidents... how did he know there was a radioactive storm in the stratosphere (also opening a portal to the Negative Space)? How did he know there was a mysterious toxin stored in the subacquean rocks in Congo? That's so weird.

“Titans” and “Doom Patrol” share the same continuity.

It has been confirmed by evidence on-screen and the showrunners that they are separate.

THE "TITANS UNIVERSE" DOOM PATROL
1- Larry is happy, he loves cooking, he's very muscular and we don't see his powers (so they could be different).
2- The Chief is different, he can walk and he's evil.
3- The name of the city is Covington, not Cloverton, and the address of Doom Manor is "Danny Street".
4- Gar Logan/Beast Boy exists.
5- There's no Crazy Jane. She doesn't exist in this universe.
6- There's no Cyborg. He doesn't exist in this universe.
7- They have already named themselves "Doom Patrol".
8- Elasti-Woman is obsessed by her past, watching her old movies all day. She has been closed in an asylum after she discovered her powers.
9- Robotman has a slightly different body.
10- The Doom Patrol does nothing.

It's the same continuity brother. The only difference is the writers.

The showrunners statements on the matter are rather confusing. My view on their comments is that they’re not exactly saying it’s not set in the same universe because by all means it is judging by the fact they still have the same actors for Rita, Negative Man, and Robotman and but much like how another comic writer or artist takes over for the characters after the previous writer or artist’s run is done; it will inevitably be a different spin on the same characters. So Titans and Doom Patrol are still “canon” to each other but they aren’t going to be overtly connected. Kind of like the current approach the DCEU is taking being less focused on the shared universe in favor of more standalone stories. That’s my interpretation of their comments. And boy they sure are misusing the word “continuity.” It’s kind of a bit like how the Suicide Squad 2 producer not knowing what the term “reboot” means.

Last edited:
Anyone else notice how when Jane said to Larry on the buss in the beginning that he keeps way too much stuff to himself, she called him Matt?

The showrunners statements on the matter are rather confusing. My view on their comments is that they’re not exactly saying it’s not set in the same universe because by all means it is judging by the fact they still have the same actors for Rita, Negative Man, and Robotman and but much like how another comic writer or writer takes over for the characters after the previous writer or artist is done; it will inevitably be different spin on the material. So Titans and Doom Patrol are still “canon” to each other but they aren’t going to be overtly connected to each other. Kind of like the current approach the DCEU is taking being less focused on the shared universe in favor of more standalone stories. That’s my interpretation of their comments. And boy they sure are misusing the word continuity. It’s kind of a bit like how the Suicide Squad 2 producer not knowing what the term “reboot” means.

Yeah, problem is that the guys in "Titans - Episode 4" claimed to be "the Doom Patrol", and that goes against an important plotpoint (Doom Patrol - Episode 6). Some names are different, and the Chief's portray is totally different as approach.

Well that was fantastic. Really enjoyed this season. One of my favorites for a television show. The finale was great and I really, really, really hope there is a season 2.

I've not seen the episode yet, but I've read the spoilers and it seems like we're not going to see how Caulder "orchestrated"/"fabricated" the origin incidents? Do they provide us with plausible explanations? They seem pretty casual incidents, hard to "fabricate" them...

The finale was nuts...in a good way but a bit underwhelming. I’m still wondering how they’ll be able to work together with the Chief given what we(and they) know about what he did to them. Something tells me if they work together next season the team dynamic will be an uneasy, contentious relationship going forward. The showrunners have said that that plot thread will have to be “resolved in some way” so I’m rather curious to see how it’s handled if they do get a second season.

On one hand if the show doesn’t end up getting renewed I’d be bummed, but on the other hand the finale kind of ended on the quintessential Doom Patrol way where so much weird unexpected sh*t happens that the only thing surprising is when weird unexpected sh*t doesn’t happen that I won’t be too bummed about it. I kind of like my endings a bit more open-ended rather than too conclusive. So this episode can work just as well as a potential series finale as it can a season finale.

Though obviously I would want to see more.

Last edited:
I've not seen the episode yet, but I've read the spoilers and it seems like we're not going to see how Caulder "orchestrated"/"fabricated" the origin incidents? Do they provide us with plausible explanations? They seem pretty casual incidents, hard to "fabricate" them...
I'll have to go back and check the episode again but it seems that Chief gets some of those people from the Ant-farm to do his dirty work for him. He handpicks the subjects for his experiment and orders them to arrange the circumstances for which the incidents can occur(it can be assumed that the Ant-Farm people blended in through disguises pretending to movie set people, race engineers, and airmen to get in the position where they could engineer these various situations to happen). For example, Cliff's race car was sabotaged and the crash happened exactly as planned but Cliff ended up surviving -- so the plan ended up being a failure; but a similar plan succeeds with another car crash incident that was orchestrated where Cliff is driving a regular car which ends up killing/or fatally injuring not only Cliff but his wife as well -- in the aftermath Caulder appears to be tearfully remorseful to Cyborg's mother (and Silas's wife) over the casualties before he does the surgery to implant Cliff's brain in what would become his robotic body. As for Cyborg I didn't exactly catch that. I gotta refresh my memory on that by re-watching.

That's good, thanks, but I guess that the radioactive storm (portal to the Negative Space) was already on there, Caulder just made sure Larry and the X-15 would go through it.

Same thing can be said for Rita, Caulder knew the toxin was on there, he just made sure Rita would fall in the waters.

I really hope we get a Season 2. I absolutely loved this show, and while I really enjoyed the finale my only disappointment with it is that we didn't get a full resolution. I don't know if its just me, but it felt more like a cliffhanger than anything else which is something I'm already not the biggest fan of when it comes to movies and television.

Still though overall it was a pretty fantastic show, and I definitely want to see more of these characters, especially after how each one was so well developed. I'd give it an A as well.

I think my favorite episodes of the season have to be Therapy Patrol and Jane Patrol. Those were just so damn good! I'd rank the season as such:

1) Therapy Patrol
2) Jane Patrol
3) Cyborg Patrol
4) Flex Patrol
5) Danny Patrol
6) Doom Patrol Patrol
7) Frances Patrol
8) Cult Patrol
9) Puppet Patrol
10) Donkey Patrol
11) Pilot
12) Penultimate Patrol
13) Paw Patrol
14) Ezekiel Patrol
15) Hair Patrol

Overall, phenomenal season!

Doom Patrol is a surprise hit.

Hope it gets renewed for the 2nd season.

That's good, thanks, but I guess that the radioactive storm (portal to the Negative Space) was already on there, Caulder just made sure Larry and the X-15 would go through it.

Same thing can be said for Rita, Caulder knew the toxin was on there, he just made sure Rita would fall in the waters.
There is also Jane. She got her mental disability from the sexual abuse from her father. In the comics her multiple personalities got their powers from an event in the DC universe called the gene bomb. During one of the flashbacks when Jane was in the hospital and she was tied to a table there was a flash of light from a window next to her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"