Dr. Strange: Rotten Tomato Watch Thread

There's nothing to really worry about anymore. Doctor Strange has far surpassed all expectations and predictions. The film is already a huge success. It's tomato meter rating means a similar amount of critics liked this film as they did Winter Soldier. Which, I mean, I like Doctor Strange, but I still think Winter Soldier is one of if not the best movie Marvel Studios has ever done.

It's getting fantastic reviews. It's scored very well with audiences, and it's going to comparable business to Thor: The Dark World. It's already made at least $132 million overseas. For a movie about Doctor Strange, that's pretty spectacular.

The film is a genuine, bonafide hit across the board.

It speaks that Marvel cannot be taken lightly when they continue to take these lesser known properties and characters and turn them into major brands and beloved blockbusters. Just for example, Marvel has never released a film that's received a Rotten rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Pixar can't say that right now.

Yeah. It's STILL at 90%, which is amazing to me. I "think", not yet having been able to see it, that it may have to do with the visuals and the strength of the cast (meaning why it's at 90% and not that it isn't a good movie), but on Monday, I'll know more when I go to see it.

I'm really thrilled that Marvel is mining characters like Captain Marvel, GotG, Ant-Man, etc. and doing a really nice job of it (I'm projecting for my girl CM).

The reviews have slowed to a trickle so maybe it won't get as many as the other SH movies mentioned?? How many more reviews do people think it will get? I mean it's been released WW for at least a couple of days now. I know nothing about this sort of thing.

The reviews have slowed to a trickle so maybe it won't get as many as the other SH movies mentioned?? How many more reviews do people think it will get? I mean it's been released WW for at least a couple of days now. I know nothing about this sort of thing.

About 50 more at minimum. But the last ones usually come out at a slow pace (some even as late as the Home Video release, or some around the time another MCU film gets released). In any case it's not gonna make much of a difference (maybe when it comes to the tomatometer something like -2/+1 and -0,1/+0,1 when it comes to the average rating).

Last edited:
About 50 more at minimum. But the last ones usually come out at a slow pace (some even as late as the Home Video release, or some around the time another MCU film gets released). In any case it's not gonna make much of a difference (maybe when it comes to the tomatometer something like -2/+1 and -0,1/+0,1 when it comes to the average rating).

Good to know. Thanks. I noted from an earlier post that non-Blockbuster?? (not sure about that phrase, but I mean movies that have essentially only SH) MCU movies seem to get between about 260-290 reviews so your guess looks about right from that perspective. So, for those who are interested, even if the rotten reviews doubled over the next 50 (meaning 10 out of the next 50 or a 100% change), the rating would still be above 88. That seems maybe a little unlikely, but I'm no expert on the Tomatometer or how the reviews tend to get worse. People seemed to think DS would drop more than it actually did.

Very impressed this managed to stay at 90% at this stage.

Some more reviews might come out around the Blu-ray release as well.

Damn...this movie is stubbornly hanging at 90% on the Tomatometer and the audience rating has gone up to 92%.

I'm on it tomorrow at the 3D XD Cinemark showing. Thinking about going to the Chinese Theater and seeing it in IMAX.

I'm still surprised it's stayed in the 90 percentile this long.

Last edited:
Thinking about going to the Chinese Theater and seeing it in IMAX.

In honor of this movie, it will be temporarily renamed the Bald Englishwoman Theater.

I kid, I kid, I know I'm going to love this movie too, but you can't set me up like that, Cal. :woot:

Well they decided to not have a 10:45 showing at the Cinemark, so we went to the AMC Dine In at the Marina. I thought it was definitely one of Marvel's better efforts. Cumberbatch is a terrific actor and the pace of the plot was just about perfect. GotG2 trailer was shown. I can't wait for that to show.

Really nice job by the director and the writers. I like that they followed the origin story from the comics pretty closely.

Yep and can't wait to see them let loose with Strange's universe and powers now that the origin is out of the way. Also can't wait to see him collaborate with the other MCU characters.

One other thing about DS. This is a movie that was never going to be bad. The writing and direction was quite good, but having the caliber of actors in the movie REALLY elevated it. Cumberbatch is just outstanding....outstanding. Tilda Swinton absolutely killed it and I think Chiwetel Ejiofor may end up being one of the best
villains
in MCU. I put something in spoiler tags just in case some of you aren't familiar with the role of Baron Mordo from the comics.

So is a 90 rating confirmed now, can't imagine many reviews left at this point.

One other thing about DS. This is a movie that was never going to be bad. The writing and direction was quite good, but having the caliber of actors in the movie REALLY elevated it. Cumberbatch is just outstanding....outstanding. Tilda Swinton absolutely killed it and I think Chiwetel Ejiofor may end up being one of the best
villains
in MCU. I put something in spoiler tags just in case some of you aren't familiar with the role of Baron Mordo from the comics.
Yep the acting from those guys was very good for a CBM.

So is a 90 rating confirmed now, can't imagine many reviews left at this point.

I'm not an expert on this subject, but, from historical info on other Marvel CBMs, I could see another 40 or 50 reviews.

In honor of this movie, it will be temporarily renamed the Bald Englishwoman Theater.

I kid, I kid, I know I'm going to love this movie too, but you can't set me up like that, Cal. :woot:

That's INCALI to you pal. You make me sound like someone who's riding a steer.

How's that for a setup?

This is probably the only Marvel film that's most liked by the very top critics. I see a lot of highbrow critics that are tough on this genre that surprisingly liked this the most. That's great because they know more about films than most of us.

So happy with how this film has performed in general, can't wait for DS2!

Yes it's been solid in all measures so far. As much as I wanted to see the DS origin story, for me it's also about getting it out of the way so that Strange can really stretch his wings in the MCU and develop his own crazy world and power set in his solos.

Yes it's been solid in all measures so far. As much as I wanted to see the DS origin story, for me it's also about getting it out of the way so that Strange can really stretch his wings in the MCU and develop his own crazy world and power set in his solos.

One of the best things about the movie was its pacing. They spent just the right amount of time on the origin story. They hit it, got the point across, and moved on to the meat of the movie. Really nice job by the director.

One of the best things about the movie was its pacing. They spent just the right amount of time on the origin story. They hit it, got the point across, and moved on to the meat of the movie. Really nice job by the director.
Yes very well done. And next time out the whole movie can be the meat as this compulsory set up will have been already dealt with. Also maybe the villain can be given a bit more development time. A shame as Kaecilius had more promise than some of the MCU's other villains.

Yes very well done. And next time out the whole movie can be the meat as this compulsory set up will have been already dealt with. Also maybe the villain can be given a bit more development time. A shame as Kaecilius had more promise than some of the MCU's other villains.

I won't put any spoilers in, but they've set up a couple of very good villains for the future One in particular could be very interesting

I won't put any spoilers in, but they've set up a couple of very good villains for the future One in particular could be very interesting
Yep hopefully Strange 2 can show the way forward in the vilain department. Certainly big potential there.

Yep hopefully Strange 2 can show the way forward in the vilain department. Certainly big potential there.

I read an article today about how they almost made Nightmare the villain but Derrickson thought it would be too much for the 1st film on top of introducing magic to the MCU. If they go with Nightmare for the sequel and play the long game with Mordo being set up more in the 2nd to be the big bad for the 3rd that would be pretty epic. Place being able to have the dream dimension could be some awesome visuals.

I think that was the right way to do it. There was enough crazy stuff in the origin and the sequel is the place where it can be amped up further than the audience might have been comfortable with first time round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"