Dr Strange box office prediction thread

Discussion in 'Doctor Strange' started by KDM1986, Oct 29, 2014.

?

What do you think Dr Strange will make worldwide?

1. 1 billion plus

2. 900 million plus

3. 800 million plus

4. 700 million plus

5. 600 million plus

6. 500 million plus

7. 400 millon plus

8. 300 million plus

9. 200 million plus

10. 100 million plus

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Solaire Registered

Dr Strange doing as much as it did is amazing. I hope no one thinks thinks the numbers are a disappointment. Not every comic film will do gangbusters.

2. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos

Absolutely no one should call this a disappointment. But as a big Strange fan, I was hoping it would hit $700 million. But I'm more than content with where it fell, it was a huge critical and financial hit and that's the most I could ask for as a fan.

3. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Why did they wait so long for it to open in Japan???

4. Ozbridge Registered

Potential for bootleg in Japan is zero (punishment for just using bootleg, not to mention distributing, can be imprisonment), so Hollywood studios have no pressure to release their films too soon (as in the same time as the rest of the world) in Japan, they just need to choose the best release dates.

5. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I didn't tknow that. Man, that is frelling HARSH! My son would be serving a life sentence. LOL.

6. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

7. Ozbridge Registered

Doctor Strange made 4.5M last weekend in Japan, taking #1 position from Your Name, which was #1 last weekend in its 22th weekend. 4.5M isn't anything unusual but it's rare that a Marvel/ DC debut at #1 in Japan.

8. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

What's unusual is that DS is sitting essentially with MoS at the WW BO. Another 3.5M and it passes it.

9. JKKS085 Registered

That's a very solid start. Could end up with as much as 13M there.
    Man Of Steel IS going down.

10. Silver Surfer Power Cosmic

A Doctor Strange film is about to outgross the latest Superman film...... If you had told me this 10 years ago...

11. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I'll up you on that one.....If you had told me that "4" years ago......

12. Wildcard Cataclysmic Titan

Looks like my $700 million WW prediction was definitely wrong but still, $660+ million is incredible, especially when DS is grossing more than a Superman outing. Very well done.

13. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

How long before we get updated #s from Japan?

14. metaphysician Not a Side-Kick

And, Dr Strange officially surpasses Man of Steel, with a WW gross of 669 ( and counting ).

15. Ozbridge Registered

There's only weekend forecast from Corpse atm: 2.2M 2nd weekend (-38%) for 9.7M total. DS can be either #1 or #2, competing with Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children's 1st weekend.

16. Darepool Registered

670,051,882 m

17. dragonjo8 Registered

Quite an accomplishment, to be sure. However, it still has a little ways to go (a little north of $700M) when one takes adjusted box office figures into account (something Marvel fans are wont to do). Great job, nonetheless.

18. Solaire Registered

Amazing, who would've thought Strange would be grossing more than Superman who has been featured in plenty of films. Hopefully Strange appears in more properties to improve his popularity. Can't wait for the bluray, it's really in my top 5.

19. Vincanws Registered

Something fans and reports are wont to do, period. Adjustment for inflation is rarely mentioned with regards the BO success of movies in any report I read.

20. Silver Surfer Power Cosmic

The fact that this thing out-grossed Man of Steel is mind boggling, a Dr Strange movie beating Superman, unbelievable, true testament to the Marvel brand being the biggest draw in CBMs.

21. Adder Registered

Amazing. His appearance in Thor and avengers will only make the inevitable sequel bigger.

22. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Right. MARVEL fans....:whatever:

23. Samuron Reprint

Um, maybe I'm missing something, but this doesn't make sense.

"Wont to do" means something that habitually is done.

24. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Maybe that's what s/he means. I don't know. In any case, taking or not taking adjusted numbers into account isn't unique to Marvel, DC, Slasher flick, etc. fans.

Adjusted numbers are, IMO, for people who want to look at a single factor without taking others into account.

25. dragonjo8 Registered

I'm a 'he'...and yes, that's what I meant. I agree...both Marvel and DC fans are guilty of this. I do tend to see it more often from Marvel fans, though.

To be clear, I'm a fan of both camps. As can be seen from the paltry number of posts I have made in the almost 10 years since I first registered, I don't spend a lot of time here. The times I am here, though, there definitely seems to be more of a pro Marvel slant than DC (not only from fans, moderators as well). This initially seemed somewhat unfair until I was informed this site was originally spidermanhype.com. It's not too difficult to see where a Marvel bias is somewhat unavoidable.

With regard to the adjusted numbers thing, it's brought up A LOT in the box office threads here (as is the A-list/B-list argument). I TOTALLY agree, other factors SHOULD be taken into account (especially those that are OBJECTIVE in nature) but as soon as you make an assertion/comparison that is based in fact (and leans in favor of DC) the argument invariably falls back to adjusted numbers or A-list vs B-list. My post with regard to the Dr. Strange vs MOS box office numbers was more of a tongue-in-cheek homage to what I have seen done many (MANY) times before.